Nursing question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayleighsMom

Reaction score
My mare foaled last August. I pulled her filly off in the middle of February. I tried putting them all back together in the pasture together, but as soon as the baby got back with the mom, she started nursing again. I dont want her bringing her down anymore. This is my first baby, so I'm still kinda new to all of this. My questions is, how long will it take for the baby to not want to nurse from her mom?

THere was a thread on this subject just the other day... (or am I confusing forums again? maybe..)

The short answer is they can "unwean" themselves up to a year or two old. Some can never really be put together. Someone in the last thread mentioned a story about the mare that would bag up and run over to her colt, even as a yearling and try to be its mother again.

With a foal like this you need to take them right away out of sight and earshot- another farm would be best but I do realise this is not always possible.

I have to say although I separate and do not return, this behaviour that your mare and foal are exhibiting does not seem to be the norm.

Did you separate the foal with a companion??

I have, this year let my yearlings back into the mares field as I have so much grass and wanted them to get the benefit if the first grass.

Because they have been together all winter the yearlings hung together and id not even greet their mothers.

One of the foals has actually been with the mares all winter- she was an easily foal and very big so I weaned her then put her back in October.

She overwintered in the same field as her Dam with no interaction at all.

I think it depends a lot on the individual characters but I do think you will need to get them far away from one another and not allow access to the mare till after she has her new foal, and even them you will need to be careful.

Hi -- I would ask how long you had mama & baby separated? I usually go with at least 3 months of separation. I'll try putting them back together then & if the weaning hasn't taken, the baby will go out again for a few more months. Usually works.

Some moms tell their babies absolutely no nursing after the first separation. Others, and we've had a very few, will let any body's babies nurse anytime! We had one mare that while she had a new baby, backed up to the fence (split rail at the time) with her hind end, so her yearling baby could nurse too. You just have to take each case as it comes. They are all different.

Another thot, altho it seems to be different that rabbit's approach, I have an area we called the "howdy pen" that we have many uses for. One of the uses is for babies being weaned. It's cattle panel fencing, like all of our fence. Babies & moms can feel, see, smell & hear each other. they can hang out on different sides of the fence, but still be together but there's no nursing possible. This seems to be easier emotionally on both mama & baby. Gradual. but not too drastic. At first, there's a lot of "togetherness." After a few days, neither seems to care too much.

Also, our babies are on full ration of feed & hay at weaning. They are introduced to both the day they are born. Of course, they don't eat much then, but by two weeks, they have their own feeders that mom can't get into.

Again, I think the whole process of weaning has to be geared to each mare & foal. We've almost never had a problem, except maybe a few over the years (80-100 foals). We did have one a few years ago -- the baby got pneumonia almost instantly upon weaning. I immediately put baby back on mom. When vet came, yeah, he said I was right, it was pneumonia, and putting them back together was the smartest thing to do. I figured any less stress on that baby would help her. She recovered, with vet's help. But it was scarey. They are all different.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love that name, Karen, "howdy pen". When I had weaners I would also put them in a pen with a gate so they could touch and rub and love. In time the mares would just walk away and the foals would bond and form a friendship of their own The only time I had trouble was when I had only one foal. I had a talk with the mare after they being separated for several months warning her "that kid" was coming back so get ready. Sure nuf out pranced the foal straight to mom, tucked the head down and BAM..mom said nope no way no how that was it! Also putting something yukky tasting on the udder (not the teats) will repel the begger.

We call it the "howdy pen" because it actually started out being an area where new horses could meet & greet the herd without any real physical contact. Nobody could get hurt, but they could find out who each other was. After a few days in the howdy pen, a new horse could enter the herd with confidence & pretty much know every body. Afterall, they'd just spent some time just saying "howdy." And then it worked out for weaners & also for mares with new foals -- they could intro them to the herd with no problems or fears.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never remove my foals from sight or earshot of the mares ever.

Perhaps it is the mom part of me but I just don't see the need to make it so traumatic for everyone. Especialy with the over protective or more non trusting moms that would just make there fears come true , I would prove to them they need to protect there foals from me

I keep the babies for the most part in with the herd, move the moms to a pen right next door they can see there foals, keep an eye on them, they can get nose to nose they still need the comfort of there dams IMO it has just been what has always worked for me

Some just need a little more time I usually try after about 6 weeks if one of the foals tries to nurse I pull them out (not frantically it is not the end of the world if they nurse once or twice) and try again in a couple of weeks. The longest I have ever had was a pretty obsessive dam and it took 10-12 weeks. the Avg is about 8-9 weeks for me till they can go back out with there dams.

Now that same mare didnt get her 05 filly taken off and they self weaned at just before a year

I personally feel a foal has so much to learn from being out with the herd and not just in a herd with other babies. A mare has a lot more to teach a foal about herd dynamics and such then she can in the short 3-4 months that seems to be common age for weaning in minis but then again that is just my opinion.

Last edited:
Sometimes the mares will even seek out another baby to nurse. We have an odd situation in that our September mare (baby born in early September and weaned and taken to another barn at Chirstmas) has adopted another mare's colt to love on. And the colt has taken to the mare too. Both mares have been here for a long time and are best of friends. At first, we thought the September mare was just helping out and guarding the colt. Then we noticed the only time the colt even looked for his mom was when he was a bit more hungry than the grain and hay could fill him up. Then we moved him and his mom to another pasture. FIREWORKS erupted! The September mare literally threw herself at the fence and the colt did too-trying to get back together. You would have thought THEY were mare/colt. It was so bad we were afraid they would get hurt, so we put them back together again. You should have seen them nuzzling and cuddling, they were so happy to be back together. The real mom did not even look up when he left. We don't see the September mare trying to nurse him and he is eating fine, so we will probably leave him and his "adoptive" mom together for a little while longer. I think he is sold so I am not going to try and separate them for a couple more weeks. If he is on the farm, she will just freak out without him. If he goes to a new home, then maybe she won't react so wildly next time they are separated. The odd thing is, when her own foal left, she seemed happy to have her freedom back...she never even seemed to look for him at all -no sadness at all. But this other baby, she has been crazy about since the day he was born. Go figure.

Well ,some may laugh at me
default_wub.png
: but I have always used the signs of the almanac to wean by. Then I keep the mother and child separated long enough for her to totally dry up. There is usually two days of fussing ,and or fence walking, and I want them across the fence from each other, then they just go on with their business. It has worked for me with dogs ,cats, goats, cows, horses(big and little) so I will prolly keep it up. I plant my flowers by the signs too. The Farmers Almanac or the Lady's Almanac either one.
default_yes.gif
:

We have removed foals completely when weaning, where the dams could not see or hear them. It makes for very quiet weaning. I think it is more stressful on some when they can hear each other calling. Usually my mares will whinny once, maybe twice and that seems to be it.

Within sight of their mama, I find sometimes the babies pace more and fret, because they dont understand why they can't get there.

I have had foals that were weaned a fairly short time, that did not go back to nursing (like 4 months time) and some that were weaned quite a bit longer who did. Again we knew an old guy who had a mare and her grown daughter. At FIVE YEARS OLD this mare was STILL nursing on her mother!

He tried EVERYTHING known to man- stuff that tastes bad, removing her from the property for even a few months, everything else in between and a last resort was a halter that had small spikes in the noseband, so when she tried to nurse, the dam would kick her away. Instead of kicking her away, she would lift her back leg and lean, to 'avoid' the tacks, and allow her to nurse anyhow. He gave up and I dont think that mare ever quit nursing her dam!!! :eek:

I actually wean as Karen does( as I have stated many, many times)- with the foals in the next paddock or in the round pen, and I do it gradually, over three months so both parties are well and truly ready to let go.

I also try to get the time right for each baby- I have NEVER taken a baby out of earshot and expected cold turkey- I could not bear it- I think I did that with the first foal I ever bred and that was it- never again!!

BUT once they are weaned they are away, and they live their own lives- they do not see Mama again, probably until the next year.

It's strange but I see a couple of people who have always argued with me over the "cold turkey" thing now claiming they use the gently gently approach- funny that, how people will change their stories for the sake of contradicting, isn't it??
default_smile.png

THANKS EVERYONE FOR RESPONDING. KARONA IS IN HER OWN PASTURE, BUT MOM AND THE OTHER HORSES CAN BE RIGHT NEXT TO HER. WHEN I SEPERATED THEM, BOTH KAYLEIGH AND KARONA DID WELL. THEY DIDNT SEEM TO STRESS OUT AT ALL. KARONA HAD BEEN EATING GRAIN AND HAY SO I FIGURED THERE WOULDNT BE A PROBLEM, PLUST SHES GOT FULL ACCESS TO GRASS, AS DO THE OTHERS. KAYLEIGH HAS MOVED ON, BUT I THINK KARONA IS GOING TO BE ONE OF THOSE LIL "PISTOL'' HORSES. I GUESS I NEED TO GET HER A FRIEND TO KEEP IN HER PART OF THE PASTURE.!!!! HUBBY WILL LOVE THAT ONE..LOL

THANKS AGAIN!! I ALWAYS GET SO MUCH HELP FROM YALL!

Latest posts

Back