Nursing mare off her grain

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSRminis

Reaction score
My Mare foaled Tuesday night, textbook easy delivery, no problems , everyone has been doing well. Tonight though she is not eating her grain. She ate some but not all. I have increased it as she is nursing...was getting 2 cups at night before delivery and now three cups day and night...Maybe I have increased too much and she is just full? She ate all this morning and is right now eating hay-so I feel good she is eating. Baby is nursing and active so he is getting nourished. I have them still under camera so I can watch tonight but I am ogg to Michigan tomorrow to pick up Maxines beloved Shammy and Shadow and am worried about leaving this mare all day! Has been drinking too...

Any thoughts??Suggestions?? Could she have an ulcer from delivery???

It is unusual for new nursing mare to not finish her grain......one cup shouldn't make a difference. I would watch her behavior......Make sure she poops normally, etc.....If anything doesn't feel right, call your vet.

PS: I would suggest taking the mare's temperature. If it's under 99F or over 100F. Let your vet know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because of the situation we have just been through I am encouraging you to have your vet just take a look at her. She may just be sore or experiencing post partum contractions but... Please read the hyperlipidemia acticle under the info pages and the posts related to it in the archived posts.

Best wishes

Ruth Owen

Stardust Acres

Like Ruth said hyperlipidemia should be a concern for any late pregnant or nursing mare that goes off feed. If she continues I would get a vet out to pull blood and look at liver enzymes asap. Caught early its much more treatable. Sending good thoughts

Take her temp and call your vet.

A horse off its feed is a serious issue.

Latest posts

Back