Nursing home visit with Dapper Dan & Buddy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sunday I had an appointment to take Dapper Dan to the local nursing home to visit someone for her birthday. I wasn's sure she would know me, but I thought she would enjoy the animals. When I called, the receptionist was doubtful about a horse inside, so she said they would bring the lady outside on the patio. When I got there, no one came out, so I took Dapper Dan inside to see what the plan was. (Dapper Dan has been there twice before.)

They said, Oh, she is in the dining room--go on in! I wasn't prepared for a visit on linoleum, but we went into the dining room.

Some people like the horse, some are shocked that an animal in is "their home".

I couldn't have him do his tricks, as the floor was too slippery, but Buddy did some. The think they liked best was the easiest--Buddy sitting on Dapper Dan's back.

Well, at least Dapper Dan got a good bath and trim for the occasion. And, as always, he had perfect manners in company.

How sweet! I love hearing about nursing home adventures. I'd really like to get into that one day--even if it's just with a dog and not a mini.

I know you and your boys brought many smiles to the room!!!
default_wub.png

Sounds great, Marsha! We used to do a lot of that back in B.C. - one old gentleman had not said a word to any of the staff for a year... until the day he deigned to come out of his room and met Daisy, our pinto mare. His face lit up and he started talking about the draft teams he had in his youth - and looked forward to our visits after that! The staff loved him dearly and joked that he turned into a happy chatterbox until he died in his sleep a few months later, with pictures of him and Daisy (his girlfriend) up on the wall above his bed. I know the joy you bring to those you visit and the personal joy as well...
default_yes.gif

One thing that works for linoleum floors that is a quick and easy fix - wrap their hooves in a few layers of vet wrap/co-flex. It provides some needed traction on the slippery surface! And some of the bright colours make them look very snazzy!
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I didn't bring the vet wrap with me that day. I just brought a brush and hoof pick. That will teach me to bring my whole grooming kit with me in the future! I wasn't expecting to go indoors that day.

I had a similar, but not as dramatic, episode once with a resident. When DD came up to him, the nurse laid the man's hand on DD's head and helped him stroke. The man had the biggest smile! I'm sure he was remembering horses in his youth, but he was not able to speak.

Once when we were visiting a school, there were double glass doors going out. I wasn't thinking, and DD walked into one of the doors. We were both startled! So now I am alert to the glass doors. But DD must have learned his lesson also, because he stopped at the glass door before I did this time.

Back