Nursing Home flak

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just had a wierd thing happen this afternoon. I took my horse to a nursing home last week. The activities director invited me. My daughter in law went along. She works for the local paper and took a picture of my horse with a resident, which was printed in the paper. Now we are getting flak because some wacko nurse says the paper has to have written permission to print a picture.

I had nothing to do with the picture, but I know rules are always followed and no picture is printed unless people agree to it. The editor said, no, the paper does not have to have written permission. I guess it is something to do with the new privacy laws. Anyway, the nurse was out of line to call without consulting the administration.

I got so upset that I am not sure I want to go back to the home. The world is sure full of wackos. I just wanted to share my little horse and maybe entertain some old folks...

Marsha

ps Searching throught the forum I found a place that sells booties for minis that are suitable for slick floors. Now I am not sure I even want to buy them.

Well, I can understand both sides of the issue. But I will say that it is sad that something so good for the residents turns into a mess like this.

As for going back, remember that the residents really appreciate it and that is why you do it. For the residents, not for the director of the home.

Oh as for buying boots.... Well, if you wish to wait and see, you can always use vet wrap and cover the hooves with the next time you go. It helps and then you can take your time deciding.

And bless you for making such a huge difference to so many people who never thought they would see a horse again much less touch one.
aktion033.gif

I think what you're doing is WONDERFUL. Please don't stop because of one but-insky. If you run into her again at the nursing home, and she says something, you could simply ask her why in the world she's hounding you about such a thing, as if you had anything at all to do with newspaper reporting. She should voice her complaints, if she has any authority at all to have such complaints, with the paper itself. You might also offer her a handkerchief for her bloody nose she gets when she runs into a brick wall on that end. LOL

Kudos to you and your wonderful babies for bringing joy into those folks lives, regardless of any old biddies in the way.

Oh please don't stop. I make the trip every week and I would miss them as much as they would me...it is a blessing for all involved... People think they know everything...in fact, I would stop into the office and mention this "call" to the director of nursing or the administration...not your problem!

Petco sells booties for large dogs with vinyl non stick bottoms...they cost 14 dollars for a set...I have used mine going on 2 years weekly and they have been just fine.

If oyu look on EBay under Dog Boots, a lot are for sale on there, I never pay more total, than they are worht and that HAS to include the shipping charge, but many on there look very good.

Maxine

Well, I can tell you straight up on this one. The picture evidently had one of the residents in it, is that right? Would that be the problem. HIPAA rules/regulations is what it sounds like the nurse is concerned with but she should never have called you. She is trying to protect the residents rights. Nursing homes are far more regulated than hospitals. Most nursing homes take pics of the residents and we (I assisted in managing an 150 bed nursing facility in the day) always had that covered by having the resident or their guardian sign papers approving this when they were first admitted.

YOU absolutely have nothing to fear. The nurse should have never called you. The Activities Director was present and the pic in the paper is a routine advertising speal that most nursing homes do. I would call the Administrator and have a chat with them. I am a nurse( don't work anymore but I am still one) and it sounds like you have a Pollyanna nurse. She needs put in her place for her own good.

Thank you for taking your minis to the nursing home for the residents to enjoy. Always loved pet therapy!

Fran

What a nice thing for you to do, and brighten the lives of those living out their golden years.

Sorry that you received a call and it had to be upsetting - sounds like you were just caught in the middle.

Keep on bringing joy to the lives of others with your little horses
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Thanks for the support. If I plan to use my horse for outings like this, I'd better learn the ropes. I understand, now, that residents have a permission on file. I think the nurse is in hot water--not only did she not have the facts, she acted without consulting the facility administrator. I am extra sensitive right now, as my 3 year old grand daughter has Wilms cancer and they have given her 2 months. Just goes to show you can't tell what is going on in people's lives when they appear to over react. Maybe the nurse has something going on in her life also... I looked at the booties on ebay and wondered if it is better to go a little larger, or is that dangerous for the horse? Hooves don't give like paws! If my little girl ends up in the local hospital, I might want to take him to see her, so I need to be prepared.

Marsha

For traction on tile...you can wrap some vet wrap around their hooves...stays on...has grip...is cheap...toss the wrap when you are done...comes in tons of bright fun colors.

As far as the people...ugh...wish they were so easy to resolve...stay with doing what you like and dont let anyone take away the gift of sharing.

I'm sorry this upset you, and I hope it doesn't deter you from sharing your horse with others in the future.

While the nurse overstepped her bounds, it sounds like she thought she was acting in the patient's best interest, so I hope she isn't in too much hot water.

It is always a good idea to get a signed release for photos. This is especially important if children are involved in a photo.

susanne said:
I'm sorry this upset you, and I hope it doesn't deter you from sharing your horse with others in the future.
While the nurse overstepped her bounds, it sounds like she thought she was acting in the patient's best interest, so I hope she isn't in too much hot water.

It is always a good idea to get a signed release for photos. This is especially important if children are involved in a photo.

436894[/snapback]

Or I know that others have done this they Blur the persons face~!! This way it still protects the persons identity, You may have seen this on some news casts or other type reports where people in the back ground are blurred o..That way the photographer did NOT have to get permission from the people in the photo~!

OMG Marsha I am so very sorry to hear about your grand daughter you will be in my thoughts

Marsha Cassada said:
I am extra sensitive right now, as my 3 year old grand daughter has Wilms cancer and they have given her 2 months.
I am SOOOOO sorry!!!

Around here, I think, if it's just a photo of someone patting a horse--regardless if it's out in your yard, on a street in town or in a nursing home, as long as it's just a general interest type of thing, a model release isn't required. If, however, the photo was being used in an actual advertisement, then the model release is required. Newspapers are usually very careful to mind the rules when it comes to signed releases, so if this paper ran the photo of your horse and the resident, I doubt if any laws were broken in the process.

I'm so very sorry to hear about your grand daughter!

So sorry to hear about your grandaughter
no.gif

It's a shame about the nursing home..obviously this nurse needs to get a life and appreciate what you are doing for the residents. Don't let this sourpuss stop you from going to the homes...you know the residents love it and you are a wonderful person for taking the time to brighten others lives.

Latest posts

Back