Nuirsing Rescue Mare Underweight

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

healinghoovesfarm

Reaction score
Hello,

Back in April, we got a call from some friends that thought this momma, and her 2 day old filly were something that we would love, but they would go fast. We rushed to the auction, and fell in love. We ended up being able to get them. They are the sweetest minis ever. Nala was extremely under weight, hooves overgrown, and very nervous around people and other horses when she was at the auction. She has made a little progress, but Nala is still extremely underweight. She is 32" tall. The previous owner said she was older, like somewhere from 17 to 23. She loves food. She will eat anything you give her. She doesn't mind people around her while she is nursing. She is one of the friendliest mares you will ever meet. Her hooves are coming along, with them being trimmed every 4-5 weeks. But she is just not gaining much weight!! we have tried feeding her 4 times a day, ever since we got her, until a couple days ago, and wanted to try something else. She is currently eating 1/2 cup senior feed 2 times a day, with a big handful of hay twice a day, and 1 1/2 hours in the pasture a day. Any ideas of how to get more weight on her? The 1st and 2nd pic is her and her filly, at the auction. The 3nd pic is her today.

nalacrickett.jpg

nalacrickett2.jpg

Oops.... the 3rd pic was to big to be uploaded. Will get another pic of her tonight.

Have you had her seen by a vet? It could be worms and/or needing some dental work. If she has not been well cared for, chances are, she's not been kept up on dental work. As horses get older, especially in their "golden years", they need more dental attention.

Good On you healinghoovesfarm for taking these rescue kids on board.

I agree with Mona in regards to worms and the possibility she may need some dental work done. ( Dont use Quest worming paste)

Being that she was probably underweight before foaling and now the fact that she is nursing a foal will be a big part of why shes not putting on weight. Shes is now providing for not only herself, but also her foal.

What hay are you feeding her ? if not already , try and introduce some Alfalfa into her diet, but slowly , as all changes to diets should be.

Once you have weaned the filly from her , I think you will find her weight will increase a lot more than it is now,

Please keep us posted on her progress
default_smile.png

Ryan

More food to start.

My 31" senior stallion eats 1.5# of senior feed daily plus free choice grass hay (he might eat a flake every other day), plus they graze 2-3 hours daily to maintain his 175# normal average weight. He does nothing, but is around 20-22 years (would have to look). Lactation is just about the hardest job a horse will ever have, they can practically eat you out of house and home while nursing a foal (not all, as I have a couple easy keeper mares that only needed a small increase from maintenance to hold weigh with their foals).

1/2 cup of senior is very little, most pelleted feeds are like 3 cups per pound, so she's only getting 1/3# daily of hard feed. I'd slowly increase her hard feed (senior) to at least 1# daily (for example, tomorrow give her a whole cup for one of her meals, feed that amount for 2-3 days, then increase her other meal to a whole cup feed that for 2-3 days, then add another 1/2 cup to the first meal you increased first, feed that amount for 2-3 days, then increase the other meal to the 1.5 cups, give the new amount a week at least to see if it's helping, if she seems to need more increase a little bit more). If you are feeding plain grass hay, give her more, slowly increase it to practically free choice while she is nursing. [if the hay is alfalfa or alfalfa mix, the increase it, but not as much.]

Hopefully this article from UC Davis is of help. Assuming the vet thinks she's healthy and has no ulcers, parasites or dental issues, I'd start with diet. Not sure how much grain you can safely feed a mini at each feeding, but I'd gradually work up to that for at least 2 (maybe 3) feedings a day. I'd also have her on free choice hay, with at least part of her hay ration alfalfa. I'd also consider a good probiotic.

I haven't had to feed a underweight mini, but I used to have other livestock. Some of the moms would get quite thin when nursing, and I did my best to get as much food into them as possible.

Personally, I'd get her a sheet and maybe a medium weight blanket too. Baby will still need to be nursing once the temps start dropping. I don't know if this is true for you, but things can get below freezing here in September. Personally, I'd have a sheet on her once it gets into the low 50s. She needs to concentrate her energy on feeding baby and keeping herself healthy, not on staying warm. If she is older, she might be like my old pony and be a bit more cold sensitive now. Another reason to get some blankets.

Never feed by volume....always feed by weight. 1/2 cup of senior feed is NOTHING.....it is meant to be a total feed....not as a grain supplement to hay. You would be better off feeding something that is higher in fat and protein...at least 6% fat and 12 to 14% protein and free-choice hay - good, clean grassy hay. As far as the grain - look at the recommendations on the bag. If it says 4 pounds per 1,000 pounds, then give her a total of 1.5 pounds a day. Get a scale and weigh it. But GOOD hay, as much as she wants, is critical. (One of my broodmares is 16, another is 18 - they are on pasture 24/7 but it is short, so they get a lot of hay, and 1 pound of straight oats a day. Because my hay is TOP quality, they are in excellent flesh, nursing rambunctious, fat foals.)

Ditto on the two issues mentioned above........

Worming, or at least have a fecal done to see if she's wormy and what kind.

And INCREASE HER FEED (but gradually)..... We have had lactating mares who have needed as much as 6 Cups twice a day of Senior Feed! And up to a flake of hay twice a day on top of that! (I like to see them STILL finishing up their hay after 3+ hours from when I fed them.) In your case, I may even give her free choice grass hay until you see a weight gain....Alfalfa is a good weight gainer, but it's not something you feed free choice, IMO.

I happen to like using a Senior grain for underweight horses because it's 14 percent protein, high fat content, easy to digest, and has extra vitamins and minerals for a lactating mare....It's also good for the foal, who you KNOW is going to be sharing!
default_smile.png

Be sure when increasing or changing her feed, do it gradually over about a week.....I don't want to hear about her getting a "funny tummy". ;)

And KUDDOS to you for rescuing her!!!!

Back