NSPR im confused and worried

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kaykay

The new aspc/amhr still doesnt give a lot of info on this new registry. I am trying to plan a 2005 breeding for this registry and Im still confused. I was talking with someone at a show yesterday and she told me (which I didnt know) that the only classes available will be hunter, carriage and western. That means you cant show a nsp until they are at least 3. So i guess for the first 3-5 years the only breeders this will beneifit are the ones that have already crossed their shetlands and had no where to register them. Also I dont understand the DNA. The application says that the shetland must be DNA'd to match their papers. I have to assume that the parents of my shetland were probably never DNA'd so what are they matching to?? Since DNA has never been required how could you match anything. Im really confused. And i just want to say i have no problem dna'ing her --- i just dont understand it. maybe you guys can explain. I do think the lack of halter classes will make it very hard to get this registry off the ground. I was so excited when the news of this first came out but im really rethinking the breeding i planned now.

kaykay said:
The new aspc/amhr still doesnt give a lot of info on this new registry.  I am trying to plan a 2005 breeding for this registry and Im still confused.  I was talking with someone at a show yesterday and she told me (which I didnt know) that the only classes available will be hunter, carriage and western.  That means you cant show a nsp until they are at least 3.  So i guess for the first 3-5 years the only breeders this will beneifit are the ones that have already crossed their shetlands and had no where to register them.  Also I dont understand the DNA.  The application says that the shetland must be DNA'd to match their papers.  I have to assume that the parents of my shetland were probably never DNA'd so what are they matching to?? Since DNA has never been required how could you match anything.  Im really confused.  And i just want to say i have no problem dna'ing her --- i just dont understand it.  maybe you guys can explain.  I do think the lack of halter classes will make it very hard to get this registry off the ground.  I was so excited when the news of this first came out but im really rethinking the breeding i planned now.
316533[/snapback]

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi Kaykay,

Please contact Tom Demry director for Area 3. He's the one that has been working on this program and can answer all of your questions. On the DNA my understanding is one parent must be ASPC/AMHR registered that parent must be DNA and the other parent doesn't have to be a registered animal but it must be DNA for this program. Right now the classes you have listed are the only ones being offered as this program is to be for sport type ponies not halter horses. The classes will show up at the 2006 Congress and maybe some at the 2006 Mini Nationals.

This was originally for people who were breeding those larger ponies for their older kids and even adults to ride. That's why the height is 14.2 and under.

I'm looking at breeding my Classic stallion to a small quarter horse mare to give me one that I can compete on.

Karen Shaw

Fiddlestix Miniatures & Shetlands

Tom Demry Director for Area 3

352-498-4203

I am the person with the stallion kaykay is wanting to breed too. He is already DNA'd through his registry. Will he have to be re-DNA'd for this registry or will they accept his original DNA?

Who will be doing the DNA? My stallion is DNA'd through the U of KY. For the American Sport Pony registry, my horse would have to be re-DNA'd through the U of CA at Davis.

If each horse is going to need a new DNA each time we want to use them on a different breed, I can see some of these new registries going right down the drain.

karen thanks for trying to answer. ill try emailing tom but i have to be quite honest and say i have never had a director email or call me back LOL. But Im going to try!

Mary there were alot of us talking about this at the show yesterday at Lennies. Everyone seems very confused on the whole dna issue and the registration requirements. hopefully ill get some answers from Tom
smile.gif

I dont understand the thinking though on halter classes?? A well conformed horse should be an even better riding pony?? Being a halter winner doesnt exclude being able to do performance?? I just think it would help get it off the ground better to have something to show the younger horses in until they are mature enough to train to ride etc. Marys stallion is a Caspian and my shetland is at the height limit for a shetland. So for sure this pony will be bigger than a shetland and imo perfect riding size for avg adult or child.

i could be clueless here but the way i understand it is that the only parent needing DNA is the one who is AMHR or ASPC reg. and the resulting foal not the parent of any other or mixed breed even.

Karen am i right? we had a huge discussion on this and that was how i kept hearing it but.. i have the ability to hear what i want to sometimes
rolleyes.gif

I am in agreement with Lisa....I believe the only horse that needs to be DNA'd is the ASPC or AMHR registered parent. Of course, it only falls in order that the resulting foal must be DNA'd also. There is a link on the Shetland site under forms for the DNA test and where to send it to.

I would also think that there could or should be a halter class...................even if it is just: I realize the thinking behind it is for performance, but still they can and should be offerend a halter class to show off their conformation too.

weanling/yearling NSPR- all sexes

Two year old and over NSPR - all sexes

Erica...I'm just guessing here, but I'd almost bet that within a couple years, after this new registry is off the ground, they will most likely offer halter classes, especially if the members want it.....the members will have to make the committees aware that we would like to see the halter classes in the near future.

My understanding is just the ASPC/AMHR registered animals must be DNA'd and the foal once it gets here.

As far as halter classes. The BOD wanted to start with the performance end as with the shetlands they can start driving at the age of two. There are a lot of people that don't like halter and would much rather prefer the performance side. Not to say that in a few years when this registry gets off the ground that there won't be any halter classes. Like I said, right now those few performance classes will be at the 2006 Congress and possibly at the 2006 Mini Nationals. If this registry explodes, we could see a whole new Nationals for that branch as well.

Lets learn all we can about this new program to make it successful. We need to fill those few classes first before we go start asking for more. I'm excited to read about the different types of ponies that's going to evolve from the many different crosses that people are going to try.

Karen Shaw

Fiddlestix Miniatures & Shetlands

Burleson Texas

thanks again karen. Im really excited too to see all crossed ponies this creates. Are you breeding your quarter mare this year?? Cant wait to see that. Mary and I have been talking about doing this cross for a long time havent we mary LOL.

Also the dna makes more sense now. So i am dna'ing my shetland to be sure it matches the foal right??

Kay, that little colt in Ponygirl's avatar is the one I was telling you about in the car on the way to Lenny's the other day.

(Ponygirl, don't worry, I was telling her how much I loved that colt of yours. He's such a beauty. His name is Alpha Farms Classical Bobcat, isn't it?)

Countryhaven - yes, that's Bobcat from Alpha Farms in my avatar.....I will change it later this year after he's had his "professional" pics taken!!!! He has the best personality of any pony stallion that you would ever meet...we are going to show him in the Classic classes, but his mother is a 2 time Modern Congress Champion.....my trainer says that his only problem with Bobcat is that he wants to "love" on him in the ring!!!! (LOL) We will be offering breedings to select outside mares when he comes of age.

Latest posts

Back