Now WHAT do we have here? Silver Buckskin?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

New_Image

And I was so worried he would shed to dark and be a bay (Hope I didnt say that too soon, He might change plans on me)

He rubbed his fuzz off last night and uncovered enough hair to make me drool - But what is he?

5c41908f.jpg

Here we have a hock he has been working on for several days, Gunna have dark legs what a good boy he is!

f7e55534.jpg

He also decided he wanted to have a half of a dorsel stripe!

2f01d89f.jpg

I am shocked (But very excited) he is shedding off lighter! So what is he... still just some sort of a buckskin? I cant wait to see as he sheds off more.

Yep....looks Buckskin to me. That partial "dorsal" is probably countershading.

In that first picture (of his back) he appears to have lots of white hairs in his coat....possibly Sabino roaning? Or, maybe it's just the way the picture came out.
rolleyes.gif

Edited to say......I don't think he's a Silver Buckskin....I see no indication of silver here.

Last edited by a moderator:
He does have a lot of white hairs threw his coat... people have asked me if he is going to pop up with some pinto because he has so much in areas.

Can he do that?
wacko.gif

What color are the parents? Do either of them have any white markings or Sabino roaning in their coats?

His dam is Molly (Golden Palomino) in my avatar.

Sire is Puchilingui (Bay Sabino Thoroughbred)

PuchiOcean.jpg

Well...of course...that explains all the Sabino roaning going on!
yes.gif
That stallion is gorgeous! But then, I AM partial to Sabino/Frame Overos.
rolleyes.gif

Does your colt have any obvious white markings (pink skin)?

From seeing his sire, YES your colt can be sabino roan! I'd never seen a TB that color before -- pretty neat!!!

Also, I think it's virtually impossible for your colt to be silver anything. You only see silver in a handful of breeds, like minis, icelandic, shetlands, rocky mountain and I think one morgan (one!) is silver. It's fairly limited from what I have read. Beyond that, his points don't look at all muted which is how you'd see the presence of silver dapple.

There is Silver in QH's but he looks "just" Buckskin to me- he has never looked Bay. Of course the coat underneath when they rub like that is little indication of the adult coat, but I feel he will be a Golden Buckskin, fairly close to his base coat at the moment . Possible as has been said with Sabino- but do not get too excited by the colour you can see at the moment.
smile.gif

All he has are 4 white socks and a tiny bit of white on his head. He does have a lot of lighter/white hairs which I figured were Puchi's sabino thrown in there. Do you think he will/could get more white on him? His skin is pretty much all dark like Molly.

I Did'nt know if it was possible for him to be silver (didnt think so) but the color thats comming threw looks so much like Silver Buckskins ive seen.

Possible as has been said with Sabino- but do not get too excited by the colour you can see at the moment.
Too late for that Im bouncing off walls here
whistling.gif

Darn Image, wish he would just tell me what color he is going to be rather then make me go a whole winter.
rolleyes.gif

Who was it that said they should be born with a label attached saying what colour they are??
biggrin.gif

Rabbit, of course, you are right
smile.gif
I just checked the equine color site and read about silver in QH's! Very neat. I love silver!!!

Also, I never knew it but "my" new gelding, Tibbs Sundowner is pictured on that page!!!!!! I saw the silver bay foal from Tibb's Family Miniatures and it crossed my mind that the foal might be Sunny, but then realized the mare with him is dark and his dam is colored like my Goldie mare. Then, duh, just above the silver bay foal is my own silver bay Sunny pictured in body profile and then a close up of his legs
wub.gif

Nicole --

For what it is worth, my Skipper is silver chestnut SABINO roan. He has very minimal white markings including a short strip of a star and a couple SMALL white marks on his body, that like little slivers maybe 1/4th inch long and 1/16th wide which were not apparent until he was a yearling. As a yearling, he got more and more white hairs mixed into his coat and has more now but is not anywhere close to looking white. His mane and tail are flaxen. His dam, my silver pinto, Lou, has sabino roan hairs mixed in her and Derby, his sire, is palomino solid (off center star).

Jill

Palomino88 said:
All he has are 4 white socks and a tiny bit of white on his head. He does have a lot of lighter/white hairs which I figured were Puchi's sabino thrown in there. Do you think he will/could get more white on him? His skin is pretty much all dark like Molly.

I Did'nt know if it was possible for him to be silver (didnt think so) but the color thats comming threw looks so much like Silver Buckskins ive seen.

447815[/snapback]

He can acquire more Sabino roaning as he ages....but he will never get more white markings than he was born with. By white "markings" I mean the white hair with pink skin underneith.

Latest posts

Back