Now they may be killing the animals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
might know where to start or who to contact, I don't. It's just to sad to even think about. Others may have seen this already too but I'll put it on here.

will write a more detailed post tomorrow, actually today, but my

husband finally reached me. He is safe, well protected by our Police

force when they are fighting the fires, but I need to get this out ASAP.

What he told me is so disturbing and urgent, if there is anyone out

there with the power to do something quickly, this has to get out.

I do have more inside info but I'm too drained to write more.

My husband said that a shoot to kill order with regards to animals

may begin soon. They believe it is the most humane way to handle

the multitude of animals that are starving and ill, or injured.

I cannot fathom this, and I can't bear to think that someone's family

pet will end like this. Please, please, please try to get this order

rescinded. I don't know who it came from. But someone will know

the right person to contact. Let them begin on the Westbank, it

isn't flooded, and there are secure back highways to come in. The

rescues are just waiting for the word to go, and the military is

coming in, and they will take care of the criminals that have better

weapons than our own police force.

I will post more, later after I've rested. Permission to crosspost.

I stand behind the validity of this information.

Siberianly,

Lynn Szymurski

Richlynn Siberians

New Orleans, LA

www.richlynn.com

I know I feel terrible for the people too but they at least had a chance to get out, the animals didn't, they didn't have a choice and don't deserve this either.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is true.....its very sad.
no.gif
But.....think about it. Would you rather they die of starvation or be killed by packs of bigger dogs who are starving? this whole situation is agonizingly sad. But desperate times, sometimes call for extreme measures. I would rather see rescue organizations go in to rescue all the pets left behind. Just don't know if that's possible with the vast numbers involved.
sad.gif

I havent heard anything about a shoot to kill order. Ive been in close contact with several rescues working down there and they have not mentioned this. I know tons of dogs were taken out and taken to texas. There is a plan in place for the equines when they are given the go ahead.

This maybe a specific order to shoot ONLY injured or sick animals which as heartbreaking as it is is probably the only humane thing to do. I have heard that sick wandering cattle are getting to be a problem. From what i have heard sick cattle spread disease very quickly.

Another problem to consider is animals carrying a contagious disease cant be put with healthy animals or you will have an epidemic on your hands etc.

Just a lot to take in and a bad situation no matter what

I too would rather see them shot than have them starve or die of disease or dehydration (or have them killed by larger animals). We have some cats here that wouldn't let anyone other than myself or my mother catch them, and in a high stress situation even we may not be able to catch them if they were outside. I'd prefer to have them shot than just leave them...

The animal rescue groups are being allowed in to do door-to-door rescue of pets (See here) but with such a large area to cover I'm quite sure that they aren't going to be able to get to all of them in time to save them. There was a news report here last night--it was filmed just yesterday so was current. The reporter took a boat ride through NO & they showed one shot of 3 dogs on a roof top--they were looking pretty sad, scrawny, and yet still hopeful.

On the "Folsom LA minis rescued" thread I posted news of 19 carriage horses being rescued out of the French Quarter of NO yesterday. 2 more were brought out, but went down in the trailers on the way out & couldn't be saved. The 19 survivors are badly dehydrated but will be okay. Unfortunately, the animals are running out of time.

this is all just so, so sad. We all grieve for the people, and now as the storys come out, for the animals. And all I can do here is give what money I can and pray. It doesn't seem like much help as I sit in my airconditioning with cold water to drink and plenty of food to eat.
sad.gif

sad.gif
Charlotte

This is gonna sound snotty and mean so flame away. If you abandon your pet ( cat/dog/other small animal) and had the means to take them ( not going to shelter etc) then the pet is indeed abandoned and then you have no room to complain. I saw dogs tied up, that makes no sense. And didnt the parishs state that if you left your pet you would be fined/charged with animal cruelty?

I would rather the pet be shot than starve. But then again i would not leave my pet behind. They would find room in my vehicle one way or another.

Just yesterday morning I saw a couple getting into a chopper and they had Locked their front door and left 3 dogs inside because they said they could not take them unto the helicopter ~! I don't know but this is getting ridiculous some get to take their animals some don't it is sooo chaotic down there in this rescue efforts

Pepipony said:
This is gonna sound snotty and mean so flame away. If you abandon your pet ( cat/dog/other small animal) and had the means to take them ( not going to shelter etc) then the pet is indeed abandoned and then you have no room to complain. I saw dogs tied up, that makes no sense. And didn't the parish's state that if you left your pet you would be fined/charged with animal cruelty?  I would rather the pet be shot than starve. But then again i would not leave my pet behind. They would find room in my vehicle one way or another.

461978[/snapback]

it just seems like they could rescue the most out where they are reachable rather than shooting htme!
ohmy.gif

Yes, it's true, the order was pending this am when I was watching the BBC- they showed a Rottie begging for rescue on a porch, quite thin but hopeful and friendly. As I said earlier- you would have to have either shot me dead or handed me the gun to have got me out without my dogs!!! Or my horses, for that matter. I would no way leave them to starve but I could have shot them myself, and i would have done. The last thing that Rottie sees as he wags what he has been left of a tail, sure he is about to be reunited with his heartless owner, is the barrel of a gun. My heart goes out to the men and women who have to do this, it really does. I just know it will break their hearts.

I was watching Fox News this morning and the ASPCA and Humane Society have set up "camp" at an equine facility(don't recall the parish where it's located) where they are taking in animals.

They were combing the neighborhoods looking for animals, when they get them back to the facility, they photograph them, feed, bathe and medicate after being given a health evaluation.

They are posting pics. on the internet and had reunited several pets/families.

As of this morning, they had dogs, cats, and several horses.

I agree with the above post, remember that the people who have been given the order are going to have a tough time of it. I would not be able to shoot an animal begging for love and attention after a scary ordeal. HOWEVER, is it fair to leave these animals to suffer? Above and beyond what people have already done by abandoning their pets, no matter the reason, that is no longer the issue. The issue is that these animals are suffering, what would you do if your beloved animal was suffering? Would you let it starve to death? Please, don't condemn people who have no choice in the orders that they have been given, it will be hard enough for them.

This is such of a sad and hopless situation!

I just cry for the poor helpless animals, like Marnie said, they had no choice in the matter of being able to leave. Sometimes life isn't fair!! Then I think of the children and people still stranded, sometimes people have to make choices and they are not always what we want to hear.

I agree with rabbitsfizz, I could not leave my pets but then again unless I am walking in the shoes of those that had to make that choice I can not really judge the descison that they made at that time.

All in All it is a very sad and horrific situation and what a helpless feeling it is for those of us that can only send money and can keep on praying for the people and the poor lost animals.

I just saw a piece on CNN that showed a boat driving through the streets(I presumed it was New Orleans because of the flooding, but I am not 100% sure), and they had been rescuing pets!!
biggrin.gif
aktion033.gif

Their boat was full of dogs, and cats in crates. It was nice to see the dogs just sitting there so still...almost like they KNEW they were being helped and appreciated it. That was the best thing I have seen in a long time!! Sure made my day!
wub.gif

I couldnt leave my dog behind. HOwever if I did HAVE to, I would rather see her shot then starveing to death or be eatten by another animal.

Latest posts

Back