Now they are both sick

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh how awful for you and your precious horse to suffer for want of a vet to come out and help. This is just to horrable to understand. I'm so sorry for your lose and the pain you have had to endure. Now is not the time to even think about another horse, just concentrate on the one you have left and getting him treated, and your own emotions. it will take some time to even begin to get over your grief. So sorry. My thoughts are with you.

I want to thank you all for you help. It means so much to me. Lemby just passed away. I'm devastated. My heart is breaking right now. I feel like it's my fault because I couldn't do anything for him while waiting on a vet to come. I don't know what we are going to do about Tango. I don't want another horse and he will be so lonely without Lemby. I know they aren't suppose to be alone.
default_no.gif
:No-Sad This is just so sad. I am so sorry for all that's happened--so fast--so terrible--so frustrating--100% heart-breaking. HUGS.

I am so sorry for your loss. Know that sometimes no matter what we do we lose them.

Please check your pastures for poison hemlock, nightshade etc.

Also if you suspect anything with the other horse have a blood sample drawn. Its usually not real pricey but can give the vet a heads up on what is happening.

Years ago we lost our precious tiny. Even at the University they couldnt figure out what happened. She was tested for everything under the sun. Even the necropsy gave no answers. Sometimes we never know.

Hugs

Kay

I am so sorry, I hope the vet can do something for Tango.

What a terrible day for you. Now is not the time to decide yes or no to another horse, give yourself some time to heal before you decide one way or the other.
I couldn't go through this again. I know I'll never want another horse. I can't afford another one anyway. I don't want Tango to be lonely and depressed. If he isn't happy then I'll have to rehome him which is something that I never thought I'd do. But I'd do it for him..

Thank you all again. I'm touched by how caring you all are.

Genea

I'm so sorry for your loss. This was not your fault, sometimes things are just in God's hands. (((hugs to you))) Hope your other little guy is going to be okay. Many prayers going out to him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just looked up a picture of nightshade. I pulled something out of the hay that had big green berries on it kind of like the ones in the picture. I wonder if it's the same thing?

It won't bring your fellow back, but do some searching on line about what you found in the hay. It may save your other little guy.

My heart goes out to you in your sorrow. I do hope you find out what caused his death. Bless you.

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how you feel as I went through something similar with a miniature stallion. He ate something he shouldn't have and it caused him to get botulism. Even with a great vet who came everyday and only charged for his materials he died a week later in my arms. Was really hard and I thought no other stallion could ever replace him, years later I have my dream stallion, my heart horse and he will live with me for hopefully many many years. His name is Oneka's Devil After Dark, here is a picture of us together.
Dev2.jpg
. As for finding a friend for your other mini, goats are good company, though you can always find a small pony, or even a mini at the local auction inexpensively or maybe even adopt one from a rescue like CMHR. Just a thought.

I'm so very sorry about Lemby.

Don't make any decisions about Tango or another horse for a little while. Give yourself some time to grieve and then you may feel differently. I did--there was a time, right after I lost my favorite cat, our Himalayan, I vowed that I was never going to have any more cats--when our other cats were gone, that was it, I wasn't going to do that any more. Well, some time after than I was walking past this little pet store & there were free kittens in the window....I came home with one. Don't ask me how many cats I have now...I still break my heart over each & every one that passes, but I do love having them & they live good lives here. Horses too--it hurts to lose one, but I still have them.

Don't blame yourself. No matter what you did there may have been no help for Lemby. Sometimes there just isn't anything you can do. Perhaps it was a poison--maybe that branch of berries you have is what caused it--but something like that in the hay is so easy to miss and once the horse eats a lethal amount (which is not very much really) it's too late in some cases. It may not be that at all--though poison does seem likely since both horses were affected. But, sometimes some symptoms can point to a number of things. All you can do is guess & hope you give the right treatment, but when they fail so fast there simply isn't time for tests.

I'm just so, so sorry for your loss. I hope Tango feels better real soon.

During a bad drought a few years ago a hay farmer we were not familiar with sold my friend and I some hay he said was bermuda. I knew right away as soon as I saw it, it was no such thing and it was also full of berries. My friend sent it to be analyzed for $20.00 and it was crab grass with poison deadly nightshade. If we fed it and our horses became sick that man would have had a huge law suit on his hands. I hope you get your hay checked out too just in case.

Please accept my condolences. I am very sorry you and your horses have been put through this. Keep Lemby close and give him lots of hugs.

My heart breaks for you. I am so sorry for your loss. Please know that you did everything you could. I've been in a situation like that before and it is gut wrenching. Cyber hugs to you.....

I'm sorry for your loss
default_no.gif

Put aside the green berry thing you found in the hay so you can show the vet when he arrives to check Tango. If you can, open up the rest of the hay and check for similar plants, do it in an area where it won't blow away in case there is somthing else.

So sorry. Please, do not blame yourself! It is no use, and painful. You deserve to be better than that to yourself.

I have lost one, and I still miss, but you will beable to love again!

Lildrummer!

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you can find out what happened and be able to treat the other one. Then I would go look for another vet that is more reliable.

As for your other one being lonely you could try a goat. Of course not the time to think about it but would hate for you to have to give him up.

I am so sorry that you had to go through this. Watching an animal suffer is so awful. Surely yours knew it was loved and that you were doing all you could. God bless you and hopefully in time your heart will mend.

default_saludando.gif
OMG this is just heart braking,,iam so sorry for your loss,,,

and dont blame your self you did everything you could.

how is tango going and does the vet have any ideas of whats going on

i no it sounds strange but do try the red cordial

Latest posts

Back