Now, Ive got an issue.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Reaction score
Ok.

Last Sunday was the first show of the season. I showed my gelding, who was great last season, and turned into a little brat over winter. He was TERRIBLE! Reared every 5 steps, we couldnt get him measured, he gave me a fat lip, was really mean. Now I realize it was cold, but he had blankets and sheets on. He didnt stand still in classes. Is there anything I can give him or do for him to help him settle down. He acted like he was afraid of everything!

What are probios? any suggestions?

Sounds like he needs a training refresher. Probios won't help you for behavior, it's a digestive supplement of sorts.

Think of kids in school - at the beginning of every school year they have to relearn the rules and get used to schedule, structure, new rules, restrictions, etc.

Good luck
default_smile.png
!

Thank you.

But here its confusing. 4-5 times a week over the winter and spring we trained. Standing still, halter, obstacles, we started clicker work. I tried to keep it interesting.

I dont know what happened. We have another show in 4 days, well see how he is.
default_smile.png

I always tell people, train everywhere. Take him on a walk and then ask him to do his standing and such. Horses get comfortable in their zones and then when they are taken out, they act up. Also, you may need to lunge him a bit more to work off his extra "energy." When I showed stallions, I would lunge them just before the class to work off extra energy and then they would show well for me. But if he's just being over all bad, smack him with a whip and tell him to knock it off.

But here its confusing. 4-5 times a week over the winter and spring we trained. Standing still, halter, obstacles, we started clicker work. I tried to keep it interesting.

I dont know what happened.

Yes Alex and that was good, but that was also at home where he knew where he was and didn't get excited.

He's been sitting for a long time over winter and now he's back out and fresh.

Once he gets back into the swing of things he should be ok again if you keep

after him. He's a year older, and a year wiser. But so are you.
default_laugh.png

Just a suggestion.... along with what others have said. If you get to the show the day before, work him in the arena. Stand him up, longe him, everything you can think of, in the area you'll be showing him. Also, if you wear a hat in the show ring, wear the hat when you're standing him up for practice in the show ring, it will get him used to it.

Also, if you have a buddy with you, have them run up and down the bleachers (make sure you don't frighten anyone elses horses, best done when you're alone) bang trash can lids, hang on the fence and CLAP!!! LOL!

It really has helped me in the past to desensitize a horse who acts the fool :0)

Just some thoughts :0)

Joy

Probably just first show jitters. I know with a gelding of mine, the first show or two he is wired (and hey, i do not complain) but by July he has settled into the rutine once agian.

Lunge the nerves out of him. Lunge him before you measure him in so he has worked the nerves out.

I like them hot, but i wont allow them to rear or pull me. Now i understand the first few shows they may have a few slips but correct it and let them know its okay where they are at.

The solution is just more work, and more exposure to situations.

How old is your boy? I ask because over the years, I've had some two and three year old angels who saw it all and didn't bat an eye but as three or four year olds (one year later) they were different horses for a bit and everythng was "brand new" through their eyes.

Thank you all.

Thats what I figured, I'll just have to keep showing him until he settles...

Jill, He is 2, but it startled me sort of when he was bratty, as last year as a yearling he went to 7 shows and only acted up at one.

Probably just first show jitters.

LOL Hes living up to his name, Jitterbug!
default_biggrin.png

He's just matured into a confidence in himself I bet and testing the water to see what he can get away with with you. They do try "new things" when they are at shows / away from their home turf. One of my horses was notorious one year for performing like a champion at home and like a little twerp in the ring
default_wink.png
Practice, time, exposure and deep breaths will get you both through this issue
default_yes.gif

PS don't you know now the meaning of "Terrible Two's" :DOH!
default_biggrin.png
:DOH!

Thank you all.

Thats what I figured, I'll just have to keep showing him until he settles...

Jill, He is 2, but it startled me sort of when he was bratty, as last year as a yearling he went to 7 shows and only acted up at one.

Probably just first show jitters.

LOL Hes living up to his name, Jitterbug!
default_biggrin.png

I agree with all the above. You need to work with him out of his comfort zone. I had some new people here learning to show halter. I had them set Promise up right in the pasture with all the other horses bugging them. They kept saying "cant we go somewhere else" and I said no. if you can get her to stand out here with all this chaos then you will have no problem in the ring. I have found especially in youth classes you have to be ready for anything. A lot of youth will accidentally line their horse up right on the butt of your horse etc. And it teaches young horse to focus on the handler. She got her stood up and did great. Just keep working!

Sounds like the terrible twos to me.....I have trouble with most of my two year olds (some of been shown since they were weanlings!).

I agree with the rest... he is quite young, and has not been out since last year. It will take a while for him to fall into the groove again. I agree also with get him out AWAY from home as much as you can. Got a friends place with a safe area to work him in? Haul him there and set up a 'mock show' with a couple of friends. He just needs to settle down and 'relearn' it's ok to be away from home. He is young and probably a bit 'barn sour'... this too will pass, just have patience and keep working at it. It will all fall into place!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back