Now another question.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BopNDoc

Reaction score
I've found a mare that I'm extremely interested in BUT her papers are not in current owner's name....and current owner has owned her for approximately two years. Should I keep looking or is it a big pain to get papers in my name?

I bought a gelding from a lady that owned him for 4 years and had never transfered him from his previous owner. She had the original transfer paper from the previous owner and she filled out on to transfer him to me. I would say make sure the current owner has all these things and then double check with whichever registry the horse is with to make sure nothing else is needed.

I had no problems.

Laura

I would contact whoever is on the horse's papers NOW and see what they say. If the previous owner has signed the horse over, I would pester the seller to get the papers up to date and THEN buy the horse.

Andrea

Alot of people for whatever reason do not transfer paperwork.

It really is not a big deal if owner number 2 has all the paperwork and a signed transfer from owner number 1.

All you would need even if owner number 1 filled out everything into owner number 2s name is a signed transfer from both owners and you are good so really not to much work involved assuming a original transfer is involved.

thanks for the responses.....still waiting to hear back from the current owner.

Ummm, I have to confess that I'm behind in transferring some of our horses into our name in AMHR. I finally got everyone current in AMHA (except for a yearling colt and our 2008 foals, but am working on that now). Things just got busy and life got in the way, although the paperwork was all in order to send in. So, I'm chipping away at catching up on the AMHR stuff now.

If you were interested in the horse but really uncomfortable about the paperwork status, then make the sale contingent on their sending in the paperwork to transfer into their names first. You can even give them a small (refundable) deposit to show you're serious about the purchase, and it would cover the transfer fees if money was an issue on their end. On the other hand, I've purchased horses that had their owner transfer signatures from 5 years ago (and heaven knows how many owners in the interim), and luckily did not run into problems getting them into my name.

Good luck!

Ummm, I have to confess that I'm behind in transferring some of our horses into our name in AMHR. I finally got everyone current in AMHA (except for a yearling colt and our 2008 foals, but am working on that now). Things just got busy and life got in the way, although the paperwork was all in order to send in. So, I'm chipping away at catching up on the AMHR stuff now.

If you were interested in the horse but really uncomfortable about the paperwork status, then make the sale contingent on their sending in the paperwork to transfer into their names first. You can even give them a small (refundable) deposit to show you're serious about the purchase, and it would cover the transfer fees if money was an issue on their end. On the other hand, I've purchased horses that had their owner transfer signatures from 5 years ago (and heaven knows how many owners in the interim), and luckily did not run into problems getting them into my name.

Good luck!
Thanks..I'm a worrier and the "what ifs" get me....I like things to be in order.

If you like her and think she's a wonderful fit for you, get her. It's what YOU want that counts, not what others believe has value. Papers don't make the horse anyway.

If papers are important to you, then call the registry and find out what you need to do to put things in order. Then, decide if it's worth the fees/or worth bothering over.

Good luck
default_saludando.gif

If the transfer is signed by the person whose name shows as current owner then there shouldn't be a problem. Is the transfer completed in full, made out to the seller, or is it just a blank transfer, signed by the current owner on the papers? If the former, you will need to have the seller complete another transfer, and you will quite possibly have to pay for both transfers. If the latter then you will be able to just fill in your name and pay for the one transfer--it will be as if the person now selling the horse never owned it. Even if the papers are not permanent you will be able to bring them permanent yourself. Shouldn't be any problem.

If, however, the current owner on the papers has signed the transfer and that transfer is made out to Mr. A, but the person selling the horse now is not Mr. A, but Mr. B--that means that there is a missing transfer. You will have to find Mr. A and get him to sign a transfer, either transferring the horse to Mr. B or to you...if this is the situation then I would probably pass, just because it could be difficult if not impossible to locate Mr. A. And, if you do locate him then he may not want to sign any paperwork. Maybe he has already signed a transfer to Mr. B (who has misplaced that transfer) and refuses to sign another one. There could be any number of problems with this situation.

Keep in mind too you will be expected to PAY to get the papers current. Meaning pay for the transfer from the previous owner to the person you are buying her from, PLUS late fees, then pay to transfer from her to you. It is an added expense you need to be aware of.

Latest posts

Back