Novice questions...please don't laugh...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minisaremighty

Reaction score
OK, I have NEVER been able to get to a show and the minis are the first horses I've ever had.

1. About Hunter and Jumper, what are they and what is the difference?
wacko.gif
Are they what are considered "performance classes"?

2. How high can a 28-29" horse be expected to jump? Do they have their own class?

Since I doubt I'll get to a show this year, is there someplace I can go to find out what the layout of jumps looks like (distance, placement, etc?). We don't have a club in my area either.

Thank you for your help. The whole hunter/jumper thing confuses me since I've never seen it and not really heard it explained before.
unsure.gif
I get halter and I get driving though! LOL!!!
biggrin.gif

Jumping is a timed event. Hunter is judged more on style. Thats what jumping is a performance type event, while halter you pretty much standing there lol.

They have a seperate classes for A and B size minis. Your guys would be considered in the A divison. However both divisons have to jump the same height which is 12 to 24" in hunter and in jumping when they have the jump off they can raise the jumps to 30".

Now I am just talking about AMHR here, AMHA in jumping I know is a competely different story so I'll let someone here explain that.

AMHR:

Jumping: Minimum age for a horse to enter the jumper or hunter class is 3 yrs old

Hunters & Jumpers may show with braided manes and tails in the manner of their larger counterparts.

Jumpers are judged on accumulated faults only, unless there is a tie, in which case there will be a jump-off.

Hunter: Hunters are to be judged on style, manners and way of going, with preference given to those horses who cover the course at an even pace (same pace thoughout without breaking it's gait). Circling once upon entering the ring and once upon leaving the ring is permissible. Charging fences, or not maintaining the same gait throughout the entire class should be penalized. Upon completion of the entire class over jumps, finalists will be trotted past the judge(s) for soundness check. Any unsound horse will be eliminated. Horses shall not be required to re-jump the course.

Karen

the training tips part of my website is dedicated to questions like that.

If you have anymore questions about the jumping class, feel free to PM me.

Oh, yes hunter is supposed to be judged on style, but I have noticed around here that is doesnt matter HOW they jump, but that they keep an even pace on the whole course.

a 28-29 inch mini can jump WAY higher. I know one, who is only 26-27 at the most, and she wins the majority of jumping class around here.

In jumper, for AMHR, jumps can only get to 30 inches high, but in AMHA, they can go to 42.

Thanks for your replies!!

Jaimie, your site is great!!! When I have time to concentrate (the kids are getting on me to make lunch) I'll sit down and read it very thoroughly.
yes.gif

The thing you MUST remember when jumping a small horse is that it is NOT how high can they jump but how high shouldthey jump. I had this problem with my Sheltie in Mini Agility. She was so fast and so enthusiastic I worked her in standard classes over 30 " jumps. It ruined her. It is the coming down that does the damage, she got arthritis in her front legs. She worked willingly and enthusiastically and won quite a few classes, it also took three years to kick in. So- be warned.

rabbitsfizz said:
The thing you MUST remember when jumping a small horse is that it is NOT how high can they jump but how high shouldthey jump.  I had this problem with my Sheltie in Mini Agility.  She was so fast and so enthusiastic I worked her in standard classes over 30 " jumps.  It ruined her.  It is the coming down that does the damage, she got arthritis in her front legs.  She worked willingly and enthusiastically and won quite a few classes, it also took three years to kick in.  So- be warned.
424297[/snapback]

Thanks for bringing this up Jane. It's actually something I am keeping mind. I just don't know what that magic number would be though. It certainly would be interesting to hear from owners on how it's been for their horses after years of competition.

Latest posts

Back