Not sure what to do

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiean

Reaction score
I have 4 minis. Three mares and a Stud. June 2nd I almost died and we still don't know why. I have had help feeding and watering. However, I can't aford to pay to get my horses feet trimmed and I can not do it myself at this point. I really don't know if I will be able do anything for several months. What do I do?

Hi Katiean,

I'm sorry to hear of your situation...is there anyone(a local farm)that would maybe foster your minis or lease them until you are better? They may be willing to feed, care and do all the necessary hoof and vet care just to have the experience with having minis!
default_aktion033.gif
I hope it all works out and you get better soon!

Do you know of any new farriers or apprentices in the area that are looking for beginner clients? I know there was a guy in our area a few months back that was offering really cheap rates to get some clientel set up. That may be an option.

Sorry for your situation and hope you start feeling much better soon.

I am sorry to hear of your health issues. I know it is not easy to hear but the obvious answer is you may need to sell your horses for now until you are able to properly care for them. You can try and find someone to do a lease although in this market it might be hard to find someone to care for and pay for your horses to just return them to you.

Right now your priority has to be your own health as well as finding someone willing to pay for your horses trimming and any vet bills that might come up along with rising feed prices.

Perhaps you can find some 4-H kids in your area that are willing to purchase and take on your horses?

Do you have a friend who is into horses and has a basic under standing of how to trim?

If you know how to trim, maybe you can get a friend to do the physical work while you tell them what to do ..

Sounds though like you may need to let them go for the time being, possibly lease them out that way if things improve you can get them back
default_smile.png

Am I reading correctly that feeding and other things are under control...that it's mainly the trimming that you're concerned about?

If that's the case, I would hold off on selling them except as a last resort. I say this as someone who has been hospitalized twice over the last three years, and who knows how much my horses have helped me.

Can you put the word out through your local horse community? Nobody knows when they might be in similar circumstances, and someone may offer to help you out.

I know you'll do right, both for you and for your horses.

Best wishes,

susanne

Latest posts

Back