Not pregnant..but leaking

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kateiz

Reaction score
I got my mini mare in Oct and she started to fill up in this area recently. She was tested and they said she was not pregnant back in oct and shes with another mare so there's no way she is bred. I'm calling the vet out in the morning. But I want to get opinions anyways. Thank you!!

Attachments

• 20210514_190449.jpg
    20210514_190449.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210513_083436.jpg
    20210513_083436.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 12
They can get some udder development from hormones and even produce milk. How did they test her? Can you get some more pictures? One from behind her at her height a few feet back and the same from the side? It is possible to miss a pregnancy especially early and if the vet isn't used to checking.

Thank you for replying, vet can't make it until Monday. Hooray small town life. They tested by blood test! So thats why I'm even more amazed. I can get some in a little while for you. She is 7years old, and EVERYTHING else is normal, just the udder development here. Again, I will get some more pics, thank you again for replying

I think the blood tests are 99% accurate so there's always a chance. Lucky you, having a vet there Mon is fast. I wish my pregnant ( I think ) mare had that much udder 😊

This is the best I could do while holding my son lol I can't get better after when my husband can keep an eye on him

Attachments

• 20210516_122636.jpg
    20210516_122636.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210516_122627.jpg
    20210516_122627.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210516_122454.jpg
    20210516_122454.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210516_122649.jpg
    20210516_122649.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210516_122656.jpg
    20210516_122656.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 9
Has she had a foal before? That can change how they carry. She doesn't look like she has a foal belly but your vet will hopefully be able/willing to palpate and tell for sure. I was hoping to see a big lopsided belly and be able to tell you I thought she was. Maybe some elongation but that could just be how she normally looks. The best I can say is she may be with that udder starting. It could be hormones which is nothing to worry about.

Thank you! It was a trick for sure to get them. And she has had one before. As I'm told by her last owner anyways. YES ! I was actually looking to breed her just once to keep the baby. I don't do events anymore, I pleasure ride and trail and teach my kids horse care and skills. Thank you for the information, I hope it she does have one!

One of my mares, Nougat leaks from time to time because of hormones. So keep an eye on the udder, but don't take milk out of it because it will encourage milk production even if there is no foal. Then you might be mistaken that she does have a foal. Just keep an eye on it, and the udder gets bigger on it's own, then there are big chances that someone may be hiding in there ! You could take pictures to help you compare. Some mare will fill gradually, others suddenly, or even at both rates.

She thinks it is a plant hormone that's making her do that??? Didnt see that coming. Going to do another blood sample and see what comes from that. There is no signs of infection or mastitis or anything threatening. She did not do an internal exam but squeezed her belly and didn't feel "anything"...should I get a second opinion? Thanks for answering!!

I can't tell you whether she is or isn't pregnant, but it does look like it. Plant hormones? Wow! I never would have seen that coming either! I would still treat her as pregnant anyway. Can't hurt if you go this route. Squeezing bellies never worked for me but then again I am still very new to this (just had a foal in April). If you could catch just a little bit of her urine you might want to test that way as well. Wee Foal had a good test out, but they are no longer producing these. I just ordered some test paper strips. Don't know if they are any good but it's all I could find. You are very lucky to have a responsive vet! Fingers crossed that maybe your vet is wrong if you wanted a baby :)

Reactions: Taz
I'd watch her and treat her like she is and try not to be disappointed if she isn't. I've never heard of plant hormones or squeezing their belly to feel a foal but I'm not a vet. If you figure out she definitely isn't, this is a good time of year to breed that baby you want ;)

We will most definitely treat her as is :) yes I never heard of the plant thing, she mentioned that some mares can get this from a rich pasture. Said her mare gets milk from hormones from her pasture every year. I wasn't sure what to say or even ask. I guess if she was far along enough she'd be able to feel baby from outside too? Yall are so helpful. Shes my first Mini and I've never had a mare of any breed have this issue 🤷‍♀️ first time for everything lol. I will try to keep yall updated, I feel like you've invested your time in this lol

Yes, sorry, I'm very tired. When you said that I thought plants releasing hormones like pollen not her eating them. 🤦‍♀️

Latest posts

Back