Not just a "fun" post. *Update What business, breeder/farm/trainer would you recommend?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debby - LB

Admin / Mod
Reaction score
With all the reality shows that are on TV now have you ever thought about how cool it would be to watch the life and times of a Miniature Horse or Pony breeder? training facility? show barn? rescue? Wouldn't that be interesting? especially since we all know (or know of) each other.

This is not just a "fun" post

Lets imagine we could follow a someone around as they are interviewed about their daily chores as well as watching them plan and research pedigrees, follow their buying, selling, breeding, foaling, showing, registration paperwork, budgeting costs, transport, grooming, showing.... on and on - everything that goes into being a hobby breeder or a business.

This could be a relatively unknown breeder, trainer or someone you consider a icon in the industry... Even you.

Who would you choose and why? Would you be interested in doing this?

UPDATE 3.27.14 (from pg. 4)

Hello! I have been quietly reading all of these wonderful responses to Debby's post. I am the director of casting and talent at a large Los Angeles based non-scripted television production company and I very interested in your world as a potential reality/docu-series.

I'd love to hear privately from any of you who might be interested in having his or her farm the centerpiece of a tv series.

Feel free to contact me at [email protected] and use the phrase "Debby sent me" in the subject line.

Thanks so much and I can't wait to hear from you!

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
The Taylors-with their family history in breeding and showing their ponies, and veterinary knowledge, I would have a lot of fun asking all my questions!

I have also thought about this, but instead of a breeder it would be focused on horse shows and the competitors--like Toddlers and Tiaras, but hopefully a lot less controversial.

With this format they could feature different barns every week and more regularly "follow" the more entertaining farms.

less controversial? us? LOL

"feature different barns every week and more regularly "follow" the more entertaining farms." <- fourluckyhorseshoes this would really be neat.

I think the Reece Family would be a blast to watch since they have so many sisters, I've often said they are the Kardashians of the miniature world. :)Plus, they have beautiful horses and you could watch them show as well.

Jean-I know I certainly would!
default_smile.png

I immediately thought of 3 different farms (then quite a few more lol) and I hope to see someone else pick them to hear their reasoning.

Yeaaaaay Debby..you had 3 in mind! Guess we'd need enough variety to fill at least one season.

One of my picks would be Stacy Score and Mountain Meadows. She's been a wealth of information as a mentor. She also has a fairly high percentage of World/National winners. Very consistent program with horses that are holding their value even in a depressed market.

I'll get back to this thread with my two others.

FUN FUN FUN!! :)

I posted before I read the post LOL. I thought it was asking what farms / breeders we like best.

Oops!
default_smile.png

I'm not going to name names, but to make it interesting to people other than mini people, you'd probable want some controversy and drama. Some good, easy to like people / farms, including an underdog, and then a winning but hard to like farm / person to stir it up. Not that I can't think of names for the roles, but I'll keep 'em to myself
default_biggrin.png

I am brand spanking new to the mini world but am LOVING this conversation! It's allowing me to start "meeting" everyone. Jill- to add controversy & drama, you could have a newbie coming up and watching their struggles? Watching their relationships with a mentor & such...

default_gaah.gif
Oh geeeeezzzzz...just 3! Well here goes 1. On Target Miniatures 2.Maple Hollow Farm 3.Little King Farm

All have a wealth of knowledge's in various areas and I think everyone could learn something from any of these farms. I know they are many more that could equally do the same but these are a few of my many favorites.
default_smile.png

As others have stated would need drama to be a true reality show...but I personally would like it from a documentary view.

I do have to add after Debby's post that I have long admired Erica-Tiny trotters for dedication and honest hard work another on my list.

I also must say I have not been into the mini's for very long so still getting to know everyone.

I am not going to suggest any farms, but if you want drama there is plenty of it at some of the shows, for example, another trainer threatened to cut off horses tails, one trainer had to sleep outside of stalls to protect horses as someone else made threats. There are those that don't clean stalls the whole time at a show and others that will take someones tack without asking, it goes on and on. Sometimes just sitting back and watching the people at the shows is more entertaining then the horses.

I like the idea of showcasing more then just one farm, cause I know firsthand some of the little farms have lots of workers that are interesting characters, and try real hard to do the best by their animals. A few years back AMHR shot a vedio at the National show, it was rather entertaining, and showed a little of the show world, but no drama like a reality show.

Thanks ohmt, Debbie, MindyLee, Dragons Wish, Little Lady for your recommendations... look at it as a real time documentary then instead of strictly reality show as we know it, that'll work.. and not fair trying to script it!! What I'm looking for is who you look up to and would like to see representing the Miniature Horse and pony world if you could tune in to watch them.

One is all that's needed, I only said I thought of 3 because when I was asked this question one immediately came to my mind then bam 2 more. I have since thought of many more (Dragons Wish Oh yes one of those was Stacy! another was the sisters at Carmelites corral, Toni Reece, and Mike & Allison Rosauer) but 3 were there as soon as the question was asked. Here they are:

Tony Greaves, Erica Killion, & Renee Reiten Tony is a icon in this industry. was there at the beginning and is a wealth of knowledge plus one of the largest breeders of the tiniest horses.. Erica for not only the diversity as her program has evolved but her history of starting out as a kid and continuing to promote, handle and show her own horses.... Renee, another long time large breeder with some of the nicest horses. She had one of the quirkiest and most memorable advertising campaigns out there, she is so passionate about her little horses, the registry and her family and home state. Her stories are so funny plus she is another who has been there since the beginning.

You know I think Erica is a great representative and an outstanding horsewoman. I'd second that casting choice
default_yes.gif

Thanks for the recommendation Little Lady, I can only imagine how nervous I would be if people were actually following me around all the time ROFL!

I would love to follow and learn from the sisters at Carmelites Mini Corral, Ginny Long at Critter Creek, and RHA

All three have gorgeous horses and have had incredible results from their breeding programs. RHA would just be neat because they have such a diverse breeding program with both minis and shetlands so could learn a bit about both sides of their breeding program!

Wow, there are so many awesome farms and breeders - how would you pick just a couple? I think Diane who gets all of these foals on the ground safely over on MareStare board would be my number one choice. Also have to go overseas and pick Anna and her gang as they lead an interesting life. And so many others as well. And I'd love to have Chance's Miniature Horse Rescue featured because of the work they do. And if you're going to follow a trainer then it has to be the most awesome Danielle Hill. And I think it would be fun just to see a regular owner - someone like Misty's Mom - as they bring their minis home and their day to day life and learning.

Latest posts

Back