not a good start for us foaling.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shazzyear

Reaction score
we lost 2 colts this year, the fist was from dystocia, the 2nd had to be put down from very serve crocked legs & could not stand. now we have a filly this morning that was born at 290 days, mom has very little bag. plus it was also a dystocis & a red bag delivery. the Vet & i was calling & look all over for colostrum. we did find some about an hour & half north east of us. mommy wont lick her or clean her. we are now bottle feeding her & i just hope she makes it. ( she cant stand, she is moving around, but sleeps alot.) i am guessing she might be a premie here are pics of her

100_1190.jpg

100_1192.jpg

She is a pretty filly -- I hope she pulls through for you..

Can you ask the vet about Oxytocin injections for the mare to bring in her milk? Also try warm wet compresses. Find out from your local pharmacies if you have a compunding pharmacy in your area that could make Domperidone paste to help bring the mares milk in. After very warm( don't burn her) wet compresses, try gently milking the mare as the stiimulation make help being in her milk. Sometimes a bit of KY jelly on your fingers helps you milk her with much less discomfort. Make sure you wash off the KY jelly after milking.

Do you know her dates for sure?

You will need to keep the foal warm as she will have trouble keeping her body temperature regulated. Might want to ask your vert about giving her Seramune orally.

Does the baby suck? If not ask the vet to put in a feeding tube. Its safer to feed one with a tube than to syringe feed to reduce the chance of her aspirating and developing a Pneumonia.

Good luck!!!

Robin

default_no.gif
I am so sorry for the loss of your foals and hope this little filly makes it. We too have lost two foals already and only have one left to foal out so I know how heartbreaking it can be
default_no.gif

So sorry! Seems lots of us are having losses now. Sure hope your pretty filly makes it.
default_wub.png
I have had to try and save a premie too and knoow how tough it can be. Best wishes

I'm so sorry about the loss of your colts
default_sad.png

I pray your filly makes it.

Robin has given great advice to you.

Good luck
default_wub.png

Unfortunately oxytocin will not bring a mare into milk, it will only cause milk letdown. The difference is oxy will help what milk is there get down to the nipples and out of her body, but will not cause any milk to be made. Domperidon (forget the drug name) will help produce milk.

I am so sorry for the loss of your foals, I will be praying that this little makes it for you. She is so cute.

I feel so sorry for you and your babies.

I pray she will be o.k. and good luck on the bottle feeding.

I'm so sorry for your losses, and now the trouble with this foal.
default_sad.png
If you trim off her "slippers" she will have an easier time standing and walking; I do hope that her legs are strong enough to hold her. Sending prayers for her!

I am so sorry for the loss of your two colts. I will be praying for your pretty little filly. Good luck with her.

Tammie~

Sorry for the loss of your 2 colts. How is your filly doing now? Hopefully better
default_smile.png

This is just breaking my heart. To many angel foals. I'm so sorry you lost your babies. Prayers your little filly pulls through she is beautiful. God bless.

Mary

we lost the filly last nite. we tryed our best, but it was just ment to be. things has to get better.

Latest posts

Back