Not a good morning @ Rosemill Training Center

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROSEMILL FARM

Reaction score
Good Morning to all,

This morning when mom went out to feed she found a tiny bay and white filly dead in the stall.

We had given this mare away a few years ago and the people that we gave her to did not want her anymore, so she came back into our lives! The people that had her had bread her last year (and no clue when they had done it) and they thought she would be due in July.

We had no clue!! it would be this soon!! her belly was not even very big!! when looking at her last night I thought that her bag had gotten a bit bigger but still did not think much of it
default_no.gif

Now we are sitting her blamming each other
default_sad.png
. But we did not know!!! we were not the ones that did not write the dates down. If we had she would have been in the foaling stall and we would have been checking her
default_no.gif

Sarah~

so sorry for your baby and mare. Things can happen, maybe she came early?

Well that was what I was thinking also, but mom said the baby was full term (or at lest looked like it)

default_no.gif
I am sorry for the loss of your little foal. Please do not blame yourself sometimes things happen and being you did not really know...

The Mare seems to be doing ok other than looking for her baby and crying.

I just keep thinking what if I would have just checked, when I was up in the middle of the night.

and I would have if I had had any clue that she was this close!

I just feel so sad for the mare!

Sarah~

I'm so sorry for the loss of your little one. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Tammie~

That's very sad..... There's no use blaming yourself. Give the little mare some hugs and love. Sounds like she's grieving too.

So sorry! Don't blame yourselves! Not your fault! I hope your mare recovers enough after to get back to normal.
default_sad.png

Sarah & Kay,

I am SO sorry!! I know how youall feel, but it does no good to blame yourselves. It just wasn't meant to be. Whenever we had a mare lose a foal, we would leave the foal with the mom until she left it. Usually a day or 2 and she knew it was gone. I couldn't stand hearing the mare screaming and looking for her baby. It always worked well for us. Someone mentioned that if you didn't want to leave the baby, dry the baby off with a towel and leave it, it would havd had her smell. Either way, it's sad, but at least this way the mother doesn't run around looking for her baby.
default_no.gif

Pam

I am so sorry for your loss. That is such a sad, shocking discovery to find a foal like that, unexpectedly.

Thank you to everyone!! The mare was doing ok last night not crying to much only when we would go into her barn. I went out to check her @11ish before I went to bed and she was sleeping in her stall I feel so bad for her
default_sad.png
. Mom is now thinking that she did go a bit early by the way the foal looked being so small, she also said that the sack was very thick! So I don't know if she got somthing before coming back to us that might have made her sack so thick, the other 3 babies had no problem getting out. I just wish we could go back in time lol there would be a lot of things done different.

Sarah~

Latest posts

Back