Not a good first year breeding for me ...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry for your loses breeding can be heartbreaking and can be wonderful

I hope your mare comes around fine keep close contact with your vet until you know she is home free

It's such a long wait in the end color or sex doesn't even matter as long as it is a healthy mare and foal

I'm so very sorry! I know what a heartbreak it is. I'm always sad for the baby that didn't get a chance to run and play and nap in the sun. I hope your mare passes that soon. Can the vet flush her out too?

{{{{Hugs}}}} to you and your mare!

Boy a loss like this is always heartbreaking. But I think it is even worse if it is your first foal. So sorry for your loss and pray that next year will be a better year.

I am so sorry for your loss. We had a maiden abort this year, too, and retained the entire placenta. The vet worked on her to get most of it out the next day. But, some pieces were left and he kept her and flushed her for a couple of days and treated her with antibiotics. Be sure to keep right on 'it' to make sure all the placenta is expelled.

Hugs to you- next year will be better.

I'm so very sorry, what a terrible way to start out, losing two foals.
default_sad.png
Heartbreaking....

I just went out to check on her, she's contracting and trying to expel the placenta now ... it's 10:30pm. I feel so bad for her, she is so sweet. She was so out of it when the vet left and I left the foal in the stall for awhile but having not had any in the past ... I finally buried him. Now it's just as hard watching her go through the motions of contractions, knowing we are only waiting on what's left of the placenta. In between contractions she sits up and munches bits of hay around her and looks back at her tail.

I was worried about her not having any manure in her stall but when I went out there to give her some papaya juice for her tummy, she made a pile while I was in there, so that made me happy! Poor girl! I will be soooo happy to put her out with her young 2 year old filly friends when she is well!

Oh my, girl I am so sorry for what all you have been through with foals this year. I feel your pain, I really do. My first one in 2008 we lost a little colt and the mare had to have a c-section and the next year was my little filly Sunny who had the leg surgery at A & M as a foal. Hard on the heart and the purse...but when I look at the 4 healthy ones that followed it (almost) seems worth it all. Prayers for your mare to get all better are being sent to up above.

Latest posts

Back