Not a good first year breeding for me ...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K Sera

Reaction score
from a little place in the South to Mid Michigan
IMG_3330.JPGWent out to feed this morning and my maiden mare, who was 276 days in foal and doing well, was backed up in her stall. As I walked into the barn to get the feed for everyone, she layed down on her side and I knew! I ran in there and she had a bubble and part of the placenta present and my heart just sank.

I had moved her up in her own big stall and pasture area a week ago and I do have a camera on the stall but, of course, was still just monitoring the pasture and the other horses until she got closer. Anyway, as she layed down and stood up, she never did roll but I assessed the situation and got on the phone with my vet. He advised to see if I could determine whether the foal was in a position to get ahold and deliver it, etc.... and to call him back. I gave her some banamine after getting off the phone with him and she became more comfortable and just layed down after a few minutes and just rested. I checked her and all I could get was part of the placenta. With no contractions or help from her, I was not going to attempt to go in and mess around in there, her being a maiden and she just looked sooooo small. She looked back at me and started making little moaning noises so I told her I would let the Doc come help! .... I called him back and told him he had to come pull the foal.

(I just had knee surgery 2 weeks ago and was in no shape to be crawling around on the ground either! Just my luck!)

My vet and his assistant arrived 20 minutes later (Love him, love him) and after giving her a shot to relax, he went in. The foal was breech, of course ..... she layed down and after a little manipulation and figuring out what was what ... he pulled the little colt out back legs first. Once he got ahold, he slipped right out.

I'm sad, of course. It is so hard to look down at a baby that was so close to being born. This is my stallions first year to have foals on the ground and I lost both! A filly and now a colt. The little colt had some cute little markings on him, snip, chin spot, hind socks, spot on hind end and one on neck. Not sure if he had blue eyes like the sire but they were a strange color ... can you tell before birth, I wonder?

My sweet little mare is resting quietly now, munching some hay .... retained some placenta. I have oxytocin to give every 4 hours, penicillin 2xday and praying she passes the rest with no problem and she'll be her little prissy self again in no time! Thanks for letting me vent ... I'll be watching and praying for everyone's mares and safe foalings this year! Better luck next year for me!IMG_3327.JPGIMG_3329.JPG

So sorry for your loss
default_no.gif

So sorry!

Sometimes having living things is a heartbreak. I think about not having any because it can be so painful. But, then I know in my heart that will never happen. We just have to risk it.

So sorry for your losses this season. I hope that all goes well for the mare with the retained placenta. Thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Sorry for your losses. That was a nicely marked little guy. Hope your mare is all right.

I am so sorry for your loss and that you have had such a rough year. I pray your mare passes the placenta and bounces back.

Hugs Renee

Sos sorry to hear your little colt did not make it, Know how you are feeling. It is so hard to lose them. God Bless

Barb

Sorry to hear about your loss, praying your mare recovers without incident. Everyone is bound to have years like yours sooner or later, sorry you had to experience yours sooner than many.

I am so sorry! Our first year of breeding our own horses started out with the worse case event coming true. We lost a mare we loved (one of our driving / show mares) and her foal despite spending hours with the vet trying to salvage the situation. I know it's hard, and painful. When things turn out as they should, though, it feels worth it. I hope you have some happy events coming soon to help with this loss.

Thanks everyone ... I'm glad I am off on medical leave so I can watch her. She looks confused with everything going on inside .... gave second shot of oxy. She's passing some blood tinged fluid so far but no signs of any more placenta. Any experience on how long it has taken before it could pass? I'm going to check on her now and see if there are any signs of anything yet.

Thanks again for the support. We were just SO CLOSE! To a live foal, that is!~

Last edited by a moderator:
{{{{ hugs }}}} My heart is breaking for you...those pics are hard to look at, but I appreciate you sharing them.

I am so sorry! I can certainly identify with this as it sounds so much like our first years breeding minis. It is definitely not for the faint of heart. We also lost a late term abortion with a breech presentation and ours ended up in the hospital and in quarantine for a week. But the next year she gave us our dream foal, so hang in there!!

I hesitate to post pics but also know that it helps to see them. I know I appreciate seeing them when people post pics. It wouldn't be something I would ask to see of someone that just lost a foal, though, even though I would be curious to see them. I apologize for posting if it offends anyone but I feel like most appreciate the experience. The mare was hand bred and the foal was 276 days.

so sorry for your loss ,we also lost one earlier this year , it was going to be boos retirement foal so was really looking forward to it , it is heartbreaking but I promise you ...just one live healthy foal and you will be so happy ...theres nothing quite like it

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your foal. It is always heartbreaking! And most of the time, you never really know what caused it. I'm hoping your little mare will recover and have many foals in the future.

Always so hard to loose a foal, I am sure she will have you a beautiful baby next year!!! Hope the placenta comes out soon, i am sure everything will be fine.

Latest posts

Back