Northeast Miniature Horse Club's Clinic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millstone Farm

Reaction score
The Northeast Miniature Horse Club hosted its spring clinic this weekend with Mike McCabe -- and what a fantastic day! We had about 60 members and friends attend at the gorgeous Carriage Barn in Newton, NH. Mother Nature even cooperated, giving us a sunny, warm day.

Mike was terrific, as usual, presenting the clinic in an easy-to-understand format that benefitted beginners and seasoned exhibitors. He covered a wide range of topics, including fitting, conditioning, grooming and feeding the show horse, how to properly clip (thanks to "Arnold" for being the designated clippee!). Mike also demonstrated training techniques for the halter horse, and worked with several horses to show how to bring out the best in them. Thanks to our wonderful club members for bringing demo horses. Forum member Matt Drown has a really nice chestnut colt that he brought.

Mike then demonstrated his round pen training, using my stallion, Millstones All Revved Up. Mike showed how to properly fit a horse to harness and explained all the ground training that is needed before you get into the cart. Rev was a good sport! Mike then climbed into the cart and drove Rev off. This was only the second time that Rev had been hitched and he seemed to thrive in Mike's hands.

The Carriage Barn staff was great to work with and the facility is beautiful! The Northeast Miniature Horse Club will be having its first shows of the season at the Carriage Barn on May 24th and 25th. I'm looking forward to going back!

A big thank you to the club members and friends who brought food for the pot luck lunch. It was terrific!

And a HUGE thank you to those who organized this great day!

Unfortunately, I was not able to stay for both days, so I can't report on today's activities. I would have loved to get another lesson in with Mike for Rev. Hopefully, someone can fill us in on what transpired today.

I only got one useable photo from yesterday....

Again, I hope someone will post more photos!

Thanks again to everyone who made this such a terrific day!

Thanks, NEMHC, for hosting such a great clinic. I learned a lot, and am excited to put it all into practice! I met some new people too, and am looking forward to seeing them again at future shows.

I was there on Saturday as well, but not Sunday. It was GREAT! What else can you say about a Mike McCabe Clinic
default_aktion033.gif
I don't drive, maybe someday, but I watched the round penning with Millstone's Rev, a stallion at that. All I can say is WOW
default_yes.gif

Of course the "potluck" which is the NMHC gourmet signature was their usual spread. But, even better than the food, I met so many new members and friends, I just wish I could put names with the right faces :eek:). I can't believe people came from all the way up in northern Maine and as far away as Long Island!

Now, looking forward to our first show to put to good use the teachings Mike did with members. See you all there
default_yes.gif

Well wasn't able to go as I have a big horse with an injury at home, but my friend went on Sunday and had a private lesson with Mike and she is on cloud 9!
default_aktion033.gif
She loved it and learned a ton!!
default_biggrin.png

Glad to hear it went well for everyone!!

I agree with everyone, it was a great clinic. Mike McCabe was great! Thank you Northeast Miniature for setting up yet another awesome clinic!!

Julie Flanigan

Victory Pass Stable

Cumberland Maine

Here is the one and only photo I got of Mike driving Rev. All the others were too dark (not that this one is much better!). This was only his second time - EVER - hitched. That's his natural headset and how he carries himself when he is romping in his paddock.

I have a video which I still have to download. Hopefully that will turn out ok...

RevDriving.jpg

Thank you NEMHC for putting on such a wonderful clinic. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I would also like to thank Mike McCabe. He was so interesting and I learned so much from him! I'm very excited to apply the new things I learned to my horses' repertoire!

Thanks!

Makayla

Sounds like it was another great clinic, guys! I wished so much that I could have made it, if only Lucy would have got cracking! Judging by what I saw last year, it must have been phenomenal. Mike is an excellent teacher so I'm especially glad that the turnout was as high as it was!

Maybe we'll all have some driving competition this year...
default_wink.png

The Sunday Clinic report - Sunday was the day for private lessons with Mike McCabe for your driving horses. We had quite a few folks who stayed over from Saturday to audit these, as well as auditors who just came for Sunday to watch the driving. As usual, Mike worked his magic on horses at every stage of training, and I believe everyone went home not only happy, but with new resolve to carry on with Mike's lessons of the day.

This smaller crowd was also happy to help clean up the Gourmet Potluck leftovers at lunch!

The Clinic, including our silent auction and flea market tables, raised about $1000 for our Northeast Miniature Horse Club Rescue Fund. Since our most recent rescue project - the ten 'Valentine Minis' purchased from a slaughter auction in Iowa - we have raised close to $5000 for this rescue, most of which has already gone toward the care and rehab of these horses. They are available for adoption now through Chances, and we are bringing one senior citizen we call Golden Girl back to New Hampshire to live out her life in comfort and love.

The Carriage Barn in Newton, NH is a beautiful facility that is dedicated to driving, and their Equine Therapy Progam. NMHC was happy to help support this facility, and we are looking forward to coming back here on May 24 and 25 for our AMHA 4 judge (including 2 World Show judges) show. We hope to see lots of the folks who attended the clinic, as well as competitors from all over New England and New York.

If you have an AMHA registered horse of any age, who is 34" or under, and have never tried showing but would like to get your feet wet, please consider our Mentored Beginner Division. It's great fun and a terrific learning experience. All the info you'll need for the show will be on our web site later this week. www.northeastminis.org

Thanks so much for the complements from attendees. Your feedback is very important, and we take it seriously, so please continue to let us know what you would like to see in the future.

More thanks to those of you who brought your horses and let us use them as demo horses. Some of them will never be the same.
default_biggrin.png

And as always, a huge THANK YOU TO OUR CLINIC CREW! You know who you are, and we simply could not do this without you.

I wanted to add that Mike McCabe is doing another clinic in the Northeast on May 3-4th. If you missed our clib's clinic, you have another chance!

I don't have all the details, but I'll ask Mocha to post about it.

Latest posts

Back