Northeast Mini Club Memorial Day Weekend show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maestoso

Reaction score
My hat is off to the show management, show judges, club volunteers, and the carriage barn. It was such a great weekend. I am new to this level of showing and it was really a great chance to meet lots of new people. Everyone was so nice and willing to help. I learned a lot and the judges(especially Sami) were so helpful. But what I really enjoyed the most was meeting all the new people, and getting to know some that I had already met even better.

Thanks Northeast Mini Club!

Matt-

You beat me to it! I thought I'd be the first to post about our show -- but you had a much shorter drive home.

It was a FANTASTIC weekend. Terrific judges -- especially Sami who spent so much time with our beginners on Saturday explaining their halter and performance classes to them to help them improve.

Sami donated a 30-minute private lesson today to the club's rescue program. It was a silent auction item that sold for $300!!! How great was that?!?!?

Lorainne Mavrogeorge also donated a collector's Breyer horse to the club, and our judges today both got into the spirit of things by buying chances on the Breyer horse.

That spirit of cooperation and teamwork was evident throughout the show. All the exhibitors helped one another (and Matt was a HUGE help to me in the Grand classes -- thank you Matt!!). Sami commented on how well-run the show was and how all of the exhibitors worked together.

The Carriage Barn staff were great and the facility was wonderful.

Our show manager, Aaron Caswell - ran a terrific show that was extremely organized and professional. Our volunteers and show staff were great -- the only time I've ever been to a show where the gate was run as well is at the World Show. Great job, everyone.

Our fun classes brought out the kids. We had a full group in our youth costume class with some wild and creative entries. My favorite classes were the musical stalls class and the egg race. Melanie Greenwood's daughter, Emma, won the egg race with some very "creative" tactics! Owen Greenwood won the musical stalls class. Congrats!!!

Slobodys had a great show as always, as did Val Carroll, Meghan Herrick (a Supreme today!!) -- sorry, I can't remember everyone else who did well. My brain is fried. I will be getting the results from Aaron shortly and I'll post the results and congratulate everyone properly.

And a HUGE thank you to Pat Herrick for once again donating today's lunch. A superb job, as always, Pat. We truly appreciate your time and effort.

To our officers who worked so hard to pull this off, ensuring every detail was covered -- THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This show will go a long way to aiding our club's Rescue coffers, as well as helping to promote the therapeutic riding program at the Carriage Barn.

Congrats to all! See you in Dighton in July!

Jenifer Van Deinse

Millstone Farm

I can't agree more!!! The show was a great one!!! Kudos to the Aaron and the Northeast Miniature Horse Club for a job well done!!! It is a huge relief to us that we don't have to travel too far to show under some wonderful judges and have some tough competition......

Congratulations to everyone on a successful weekend!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Kristina and Matt for the complements to the NMHC show committee. Sometimes it's hard to step back out of the fray and see the results, but from the comments I received yesterday, I truly think our first attempt at a 2 day, 4 judge show came off as a very professionally run show with lots of happy exhibitors. We also received very nice comments from all 4 judges.

AND -- this was done with about 2/3 of the staff being dedicated (or drafted!) volunteers!

At the risk of sounding like I'm giving an Oscar acceptance speech, "there are just too many people to thank to name them all here". Later, I promise, after I have slept and caffeined away my "horse show brain" (fried!)

I spent the whole day Sunday with a cell phone attached to me, waiting to have to talk my horse sitter thru a foaling. My mare NFC's Cherokee Maiden, who is 19 this year, and had a daughter and 2 grandsons at the show, gave birth to baby #13 at 4:00am this morning. It's an annual ritual with her. She has foaled after this show for the last 3 years, and always waits for 'Mom' to come home. Said 'Mom', who feels like she has been run over by a bus after days of horse show prep and horse show weekend. Said 'Mom' who is not getting any younger! All is well (for Cherrie, not for the 'Mom'!). We have a spectacular bay tovero colt by my Roan Ranger son, Arista's Choctaw Charlie.

So, for now, a heartfelt thank you to EVERYONE who had anything to do with making this past weekend a success.

And by the way -- the huge decadent cakes disappeared in record time on both days!
default_biggrin.png

Major Congratulations all around Cindy!! Such an accomplishment to run such a huge show to perfection!!!! And your new babies too! You must be wiped out!!!!!

I got to see two mini babies this week and they are the first mini babies I've ever seen!!!! I am so in love!!
default_wub.png

Joyce

I watched about 4 hours of Sat show and looked like everythings was running very smooth. It looke dlike you had a good number of horses especially with the economy and fuel prices. Congarts to all of you that put on the show, showed , or both a job well done!

Mark

Whee Doggie!!!!! What a GREAT show! And CAKE to boot!

This was some show! I came up Saturday AM with only one of the "Dynamic Duo" ( Alex and Molly) as Molly was in Quebec on a school trip, with four GELDINGS! (I felt like Lisa and David who always travel with boys!) and what a great time we had! After such a long wait to go to anything equine ( foals you know!) we had a blast! It was fun to see everyone ( I got a load of good hugs from folks I hadn't seen since last year )and the competition was supurb, both halter and performance! You now have two more competitors in Liberty!

The YOUTH turnout blew my mind! WOW! Keep up the good work you guys!

The location was excellent ( I still cannot believe that gray house is a carriage barn!) The judges excellent! The food ......well you know how I love Pat's cooking!

Congratulations to ALL the winners, both in the show and the RAFFLES!

Sammi had a lesson in team driving from Ann from the Carriage Barn, then donated the PRIVATE LESSON, to Cindy and Penny, who were the highest bidders from the raffle. Melanie Greenwood's daughter won the Breyer horse donated by Lorraine Mavrogeorge ( sorry for the incorrect spelling..), who was so wonderful to donate it! ALL procedes going to our rescue fund!

Home by 10:30! (a new record)!

dru....already working on new halter obstacles ( be afraid, be VERY afraid!!!!)

I also was happy to see our old friends and make new ones. I can think of first names only like: Carly, Lisa and Crystal from NY, and Patty and her family from Maine who were there with Matt. Cindy, you are not the only one who feels like the Slobody's big rig ran over you. I had to work today, as many of us did, but I bet you are the only one who had a foal on the first show of the year.

Congratulations to EVERYONE. I think everyone was impressed on our first 2 day show. The volunteering was something we would never be able to afford and I commend ALL our volunteers. I also agree that our announcer was outstanding and am glad Cindy was able to snag her for our next 2 day event in Dighton.

I myself had a great weekend, thanks to all our friends for helping me to show 3 fillies. Without Laura, Emily, Kathrine, Ron & Donna, the Herricks, Dru and Judy Luchetta I would not have gotten through the Grands with 3 fillies by myself! The prep work is very draining, but worth every minute at the end of the day.

Congratulations Megan on your filly's Supreme.

Thanks to Ann and Mary and Katie from the Carriage Barn.

Also, to Lorraine and Sammi for their teaching.

Also, to Aaron Caswell, a competent Show Manager who was able to pull it off without his secretary.

And, last but not least, Cindy, our fearless leader and President of The Northeast Miniature Horse Club.

The winds of gossip are blowing.......................I heard Moe from Sawmill River was going to do a dance in the ring at Dighton ............IN A TUTU! ......... I'll bet it's for a good cause! Rescue Perhaps????

Wonder if he's shaving his legs?

Dru

STILL waiting for a "Prince" of my own.....

OK, I'd pay money to see Moe dance in a tutu.

And I think I speak for many when I say I bet others would too!

Come on Moe!!!!

Oh good golly..... If Moe found out we released this to the public, he would kill me! Jen, You might be onto something..... I see the next big fundraiser for the NEMHC....

Still recovering from the show..... and Hard to believe that all that showing was fit into one weekend..... It was a whirlwind!!! I also wanted to say(Wasn't quite functioning when I posted last night) that it was wonderful to meet all of the new show-goers out there!!! I can't remember everyone, but I certainly met a ton of people!

Also, Pat Herrick's Sunday lunch was OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! I only tried the Potato Salad but it was Fantastic!!! Everyone was talking about his food!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to second and third and fourth all of the comments about the food on Sunday. It was awesome. Congrats to Cindy on your new baby, just looked at the pictures, he's very nice!

Dru, can't wait to see those obstacles. I never figured Magic(the pinto gelding I showed in performance) would be competitive in performance at this level, but he blew me away this weekend, and I think we are ready for whatever you've got! (but please don't be too mean :eek:)

Yikes! I take a nap and you guys are putting Moe in a tutu! ...........actually, that just might raise quite a bit of money for the rescue fund. Kristina, you are now in charge of that committee! Blame it on Dru.

With a slightly clearer head than earlier today, I want to point out a few of the people who really made the weekend run smoothly, and without whom we would have been in big trouble.

Sue Fryer was our 'professional' gate person who volunteered her services on Saturday. Working closely with our newly discovered secret weapon announcer person (Miki), she got us organized and hustled us in and out of our classes like the pro that she is. She also trained Karen Rudolph to take over for her on Sunday. Karen was our photographer on Saturday, and gate person Sat. evening and all day Sunday, modeling herself admirably after drill sargent Sue. Karen's show mare was out of commission for the weekend, so she had volunteered to help where needed. Mistake, Karen!
default_smile.png
And Karen also let us have son David for the weekend. David did whatever was asked of him cheerfully and efficiently, and seemed to be having a great time in the process.

And all our ribbon people!! There were so many of you hustling and organizing and running to and from that very important corner of the arena all weekend. Thanks so much. As someone responsible for the show, I noticed all the work that you did. As an exhibitor, I was unaware of anything except the smooth way the classes were pinned without error.

And my personal angel, Meredith Gately, without whom, there would be no coffee and pastries at 7am, or an attractive, comfortable place for the judges, or complimentary cold drinks available all day, or a whole paddock's worth of electric fence webbing for our in gate and spectator area, or an 'invisible' clean up crew, or one unfried, functioning brain among us!

Thank you Meredith and Karen and David and Sue!

If we seem to have a huge mutual admiration thing going here, you are correct! Come and be a part of it all, knowing that the money we raise goes directly to mini rescue efforts both locally and nationwide.

Hope to see even more NEW friends at our Dighton, MA show in July.

Hey Dru-

As someone who used to show in all those performance classes I have some (evil) ideas for obstacles that I'd be willing to coordinate with you.....

Bwuhahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Kristina,

Where can I get LIVE Tom Turkeys? 3-4 will be fine.

I have four new obstacles in the works already, but can ALWAYS use more ideas! Come on DOWN!

As I'm shopping for TUTUs, do you know Moe's favorite color? We want him to be fashionable!

I've decided he'll NEED to shave his legs, so can you please bring him hog tied to Dighton? I don't know if we can catch him if he runs. Or should I just plan to tranq him for the process? I may have to contact Tony for advice!

Dru

shopping for TUTU's and spurs......NOT for the same person!

default_aktion033.gif
WELL DONE!!!!!!! NMHC as always has put on another wonderful show. This was a massive undertaking by the show committee and to have pulled off two seperate full shows, on consecutive days with different judges.... well all I can say is
default_wub.png
I love this group of amazing people.

My entire family had a blast!!! My kids can't wait for the next show and my husband was thrilled with how organized it was. We all had fun showing, and catching up with friends from far and near. I love this atmosphere were everyone shares, helps out and gives pointers. I learn so much and my kids get the chance to hear the pointers from someone else other than their mom and dad. Dru thanks for the great obsticles!!!

And a big THANKS to the Luchetta family. Cory my kids love you!!!! You have been so kind and helpful to them and they just can't wait to see you again. Judy and Fred my husband, my mom, and I loved your company, laughter, support and advice.

I can't urge others to join us for the July show enough. It is so fun, friendly, and just a total blast!!!!

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE!!!!!

Dru-

We can't tranq Moe -- how will be dance if he's subdued?

I vote either lavendar or pink for the tutu.

I think he needs a crown. Maybe a magic wand, too == altho we may not want to arm him!!

Kristina,

OK, I've found pink TUTU's in Moe's size. Very tasteful, I might add. Do you think silver sparkles on the bustline are too much for Moe? It comes with a tiara too but I worry his hair is too short to hold it on.

Do you think I'll need a blowgun for the tranq? I just want to be ready.

Off to buy the tights ( white).

dru

OMG! I just remembered something I did at the Saturday show but didn't know until I got home!

I have a can of spray shine that the label fell off of, so it is just a shiny silver can.

Well I was helping Alex get ready for her halter class and sprayed Sully with the silver spray can and couldn't figure out why he wasn't sparkling in the sun...so I rubbed him off with a cloth and resprayed him. Time got short so we just ran him up to the arena, and Alex took him in the ring..........

Wasn't until I got home and cleaned out the show cart to restock it, that I realized I sprayed him TWICE with HOOF POLISH REMOVER!!!!! Thank God no one lit a match near him! I think that stuff is acetone, and very flamable!

Now that I think of it.....it might be a way to get those Liberty horses to run and buck a bit more....... Flamesuit on, literally!

dru

Come on Moe!! I hear he can sing too. Ask Laurie and Tina. I bet we could have a hoe down Saturday night after the show, singing, dancing and Moe
default_aktion033.gif
And, maybe some popcorn, etc.

Latest posts

Back