Non-sweating Mini??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AppyLover2

Reaction score
Some of you may remember that a week ago Kitty ripped her eye lid pretty bad. Vet stitched it up on Sunday night. Had to have him back out on Wednesday to

re-stitch it. Today, had to have it stitched for the 3rd time. It's looking a little bit worse each time it's stitched, but hopefully (keep your fingers crossed for me) the 3rd time is a charm.

Something else the vets and I discussed is that she seems to almost be a non-sweater (although even as darned hot as it is, she hardly drinks anything). Vet said he'd never heard of a mini who didn't sweat; and I thought I'd ask if anyone has/had or knows of this in the miniature horse world.

When I used to horse hunt big horses to buy I always made a point of asking if the horse was a good sweater. Horses have to sweat. And your horse HAS to drink! I would suggest to you that you begin to wet down his hay and grain. I also make a very soupy sloppy beet pulp mash to ensure that everyone is drinking adequately. You can also made a nice soupy mess out of his grain or beet pulp by adding Gatorade instead of plain water or do both. This stuff is very important.

I also would not put my horse through not one more stitch in his eye. I would ask my vet to use the veternarian version of super glue. I have had horses with this kind of injury and they only keep busting out the stitches and the vet glue works fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a condition in the big horses, I believe it is anhydrosis (possibly spelled wrong), where the horse doesn't sweat. My mini doesn't sweat. Well, he hardly ever sweats. In the six years I have owned him he has sweated twice. Both times were after HARD works in the summer. I do think he has a problem, but have not had a vet look at him. Everyone has always told me I just don't work him hard enough, although as fat and furry he is I would think standing would take enough energy for him to sweat in the SoCal heat! He does drink a lot of water though. L

saludando.gif

Bumping this back up for (hopefully) some more comments on the non-sweating thing. I know big horses have it, but would like to know if miniatures do too.

The vet said he had never heard of a mini with it; so I told him I would try to check it out. Thanks

And Marty, thanks for the comment about the stitches. So far it seems that the 3rd time may have finally done it.

Latest posts

Back