Non registered mini's? Full of questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations and Good luck to you and your new friends,Like was said in an earlier post lets not forget all minis started off un-registered, its almost become a snobbery about the registered horse, There are some dam good unregistered minis out there that could beat the best ....if they were aloud to..
default_laugh.png
Just my opinion......Mine are registered.. but if one came along that needed a home or i just thought was great i would'nt think twice
default_wink.png
anyway good on you have fun and enjoy
default_saludando.gif

If you want to do something differant and fun with your unregistered mare (there's probably going to be some loud groans on this one!), pick your nicest mare and breed her to a nice miniature donkey for a mini-mule! A mini-mule can be registered, can go to certified donkey shows (ok, I am now going to be kicked off this forum, and told to stay on the donkey page where I belong! LOL!), are very cute and sweet too!

I had many a unregistered large horse and there are tons of them out there being used- shown- and having a great life and letting their owners enjoy them.

If you are looking for a pet to play with at open shows then I say if they are what you are looking for go for it.

Papers do not make a horse any better or healthier or better cared for. Many horses with papers have lost them in AMHA due to size issues or size of parent issues that does not make them less of a horse.

Of course if breed showing is where you want to end up and your space is limited might want to rethink but many people simply put do not have the money to show breed shows and enjoy parades, open shows, CDE and ADS events there is a lot to do with your minis besides breed them!

I just finsihed the whole thread and saw you bought them CONGRATS cant wait to see picsl.

To those who say purchasing a unregistered horse encourages more to be born I say HOGWASH.. it might but having papers doesnt make someone a breeder and doesnt mean they are doing so responsibly. I have seen plenty of breeders and the horses they produce some double and even triple registered that should not be encouraged to breed more but everyone has different ideas on what is right and what is good.

Sadly the majority still come back to minis being a breed to be bred.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our first mini was a 6 year old mare that was not registered. She is a hair shy of 34". Add what we paid for her to the $600 it costs to hardship her and we are paying the same as if we had bought a registered horse and we do not know what is behind her. We still love her. She just is not one of the cheaper horses because of that hardship fee.

Congrats!!!!

I bought my first mini at a meat auction over 10 years ago for $60. Did open shows, parades and clinics with him. I still own the guy and he has a special place in my heart and barn. He is now 15-16 years old and will pass away at my place when the time comes. He started me in what I do today and I can't thank him enough. So making sure he has the best out of life is the best I can do.
default_wub.png

I work with Chances Miniature Horse Rescue. Some horses come with registration papers and others do not. It makes no difference to us, they all deserve another chance and to be loved. We don't stop them at the door to check their papers. Papers do not make the horse. Papers only document the heritage of that horse. Several of our adoption horses have gone on to make wonderful pets, show horses and driving horses. We have one right now that is being trained for CDE events that we are very proud of.

I see you have an open mind and I like that. There are plenty of shows where you can show your unregistered horse and have fun; and quite honestly if you want to buy up some inexpensive horses to play with and fit and train to drive and improve their future, I think that's great.

Down the line if you feel you would like to then show at a rated show, you'll have your feet wet and experience and can purchase a registered horse eventually. You'll have the best of both worlds. Its a win-win situation. Thank goodness for people like you.

In my barn lot I have a BTU son, a Zorro son, a LTD Magic Man daughter, 2 off spring of Tiny Tymes Sureman (many time over National Champion and HOF), 2 girls and one boy by King Lee, of those above 4 are National top ten winners, and one itty bitty unregistered girl from CMHR. The one I love most is, well, all of the above. They are all here for a different purpose and they all do well at what they do, papers or not. Some have ribbons, some do not, but they don't get in the house much so no one sees them any way. They are all the best at what they do!
default_smile.png

Congratulations!!

I'd like to tack a question on to this. I'm considering getting my first mini, and the one I'm looking at is a 36' gelding. The current owner doesn't know if he is registered, but she said the person she bought him from used to show him in halter and driving. They didn't seem to know much about his past beyond that. I don't think he's pinto but he does have a bald face. I'm not sure if that is a pinto specific trait or not. Any suggestions? I'm mainly looking for a pet and horse experiance. He is broke to ride and drive so I might do a little pony riding business on the side. Thanks!

I'd like to tack a question on to this. I'm considering getting my first mini, and the one I'm looking at is a 36' gelding. The current owner doesn't know if he is registered, but she said the person she bought him from used to show him in halter and driving. They didn't seem to know much about his past beyond that. I don't think he's pinto but he does have a bald face. I'm not sure if that is a pinto specific trait or not. Any suggestions? I'm mainly looking for a pet and horse experiance. He is broke to ride and drive so I might do a little pony riding business on the side. Thanks!
This is an old topic from 2009. You would probably get more responses if you started a new topic.

What are your goals for the horse? If you do not plan to do registry shows, you probably do not need papers.

If the owner doesn't know whether or not he's registered -- my bet is he is not.

Our first mini was an unregistered colt we gelded and got trained to drive. He's every bit as enjoyable now as he was when we bought him 11 years ago. While his paperwork and show history will never measure up to some of our other horses, his "job" with us requires no registry papers
default_smile.png

The only reason I would say don't buy unregistered is you're supporting the people that can't be bothered. If you're goal is just a pet, go for it. A loving pet or lawn ornament doesn't need papers.

BUT, if you think you even might want to show or breed or be able to resell/place any of them in the future, in order registration paperwork helps.

A horse this size isn't really meant for riding. Have you seen him driving? I've looked at lots of horses that were supposedly broke "before" but hadn't been driven in a while. If this is your first mini (first of many I'm sure!!) it might be nice to have someone with a bit more experience take a look at him before buying. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back