No politics -- just the love of dogs...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just heard Obama asked about this topic tongiht... he said one daughter is allergic, so that narrows their choices. And he'd like to get a dog from a rescue situation (my words--I can't quote what he said) but they are all "mutts, like me." That was a quote from him. He made the reporters chuckle.
default_smile.png

We have a cousin who owns a standard poodle. He hunts with it!!! Now men can own poodles and still keep their testoterone high. He can always say it was his daughter's dog!!!
default_laugh.png
But they are nice looking dogs as long as they don't have that foo-foo shave!
default_wacko.png

We have a cousin who owns a standard poodle. He hunts with it!!!
Wow...someone who uses a poodle for what they were originally bred for!! Good for him.
default_smile.png
Yup, standard poodles are retrievers, believe it or not.

But they are nice looking dogs as long as they don't have that foo-foo shave!
And that goes hand in hand with the water retriever work they were bred to do. The poodle coat is so heavy and thik, that it weighs the dog down too much in the water...so they were traditionally clipped...leaving the hair long at the chest, hip, joints and ears, to help retain heat.

Funny how something begins for one thing, and ends up being popular for a whole other reason.
default_smile.png

Uh oh, Sue...now you have me wondering...

Where do you suppose the practice of balding mini faces came from? Was it for slipping through the coal mines more easily? Or did it come from when wild minis roamed the plains and had to steal nuts and grain from gophers and ground squirrels and they wore the hair right off of their muzzles?

Uh oh, Sue...now you have me wondering...Where do you suppose the practice of balding mini faces came from? Was it for slipping through the coal mines more easily? Or did it come from when wild minis roamed the plains and had to steal nuts and grain from gophers and ground squirrels and they wore the hair right off of their muzzles?
GASP-SNORT-ROGLMAO!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png
default_aktion033.gif
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Almost snorted my coffee over my laptop when I read this. What a HOOT!
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

I still think, having had them in the past, a miniature schnauzer. No shedding and they have personality plus and because of size they could get two, one for each of the girls. They could call them "Victor" and "Victoria" for victory
default_laugh.png
. I understand that the portuguese water dogs don't shed either if they are looking for a large dog. The goldendoodle still shed somewhat. I love the golden retriever breed, that is what we have now but dear Fuller sheds so much
default_new_shocked.gif
but they are truly a remarkable family dog but the shedding would be a big nono for someone allergic. They could get a couple of chihuahuas but I just don't see Obama walking those, ROFL and I am sure the girls would have the dog(s) dressed up, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody here ever owned these:

Affectionate, energetic, and playful the Chinese Crested Dog has the reputation of a devoted family pet. Their hare foot allows them to climb and hold their toys, food, or people; owners often describe the way they “hug” when held. The Crested is usually friendly toward other pets and dogs and sociable with strangers. Although Chinese Crested Dogs crave human companionship, it is very important not to “over-baby” the dog as a puppy. Adult dogs become very attached to their owner and do not adjust well to a new one. Highly intelligent and alert, the Chinese Crested Dog likes to learn and perform tricks; they are exceptionally good with children. They do not bark, but love to climb and dig holes.
They are so ummmm "unusual" (not pretty, lol) but they are cute!!! Mind you they might find holes all over the White House lawn
default_new_shocked.gif

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2216/207698...44d3686.jpg?v=0

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Chinese_Crested-f-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody here ever owned these:

Affectionate, energetic, and playful the Chinese Crested Dog has the reputation of a devoted family pet. Their hare foot allows them to climb and hold their toys, food, or people; owners often describe the way they “hug” when held. The Crested is usually friendly toward other pets and dogs and sociable with strangers. Although Chinese Crested Dogs crave human companionship, it is very important not to “over-baby” the dog as a puppy. Adult dogs become very attached to their owner and do not adjust well to a new one. Highly intelligent and alert, the Chinese Crested Dog likes to learn and perform tricks; they are exceptionally good with children. They do not bark, but love to climb and dig holes.
They are so ummmm "unusual" (not pretty, lol) but they are cute!!! Mind you they might find holes all over the White House lawn
default_new_shocked.gif

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2216/207698...44d3686.jpg?v=0

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Chinese_Crested-f-01.jpg

Exactly!! I cant believe no one else has thought of crested yet 'Danielle E. Of course a hairless one would be best. AND I had a new litter born election week of 6 adorable MALE pups. There are 3 spotted puffs and 3 spotted hairless. Four black and whites and 2 chocolate and white. I dont have pix of the new ones yet but here is a half sister to the new litter. She is shown as an older puppy.

8e21473c.jpg

117f06f5.jpg

Jitterbug where are you? The littlle affenpinscher in the pix is the affen pup I brought to Nationals and Jitterbug on here is his new Mommy
default_wub.png

I too like the idea of a shelter dog. I'm positive if the Obama's asked all the shelters in the country they would look for the perfect pet for the first family. I would reccomend a Border Terrier as a second choice. You can keep their coat short and well groomed. They LOVE children and LOVE being part of a close family community. Smart! They are capable of learning many tricks and accepted behaviors. We chose this breed when my children were little ones and couldn't have been happier. Our little guy has always behaved if he was another child. If anyone got put in time out he went too on his own. =-) He has never given a bite and only had an accident once when he was a new puppy. He learned potty training in a few days. I wish the Obama's luck with finding the special new family member.

chico

Hairicane, I just love the look of these dogs!!!! If I didn't live in such a cold climate..... they are absolutely precious
default_laugh.png
and I loved reading about their temperament.

Latest posts

Back