NJ All Breed Show today (Saturday)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxy's Run

Reaction score
Well, today was the NJ All Breed Show at The Horse Park of NJ as well as a Standardbred yearling Sale Preview day (the actual sale is tomorrow). I have to work the Standardbred Sale so I couldn't show my yearling mini colt.
no.gif
Anyway, today were the mini classes and let me tell you, what a HUGE hit they were with the Standardbred people.
aktion033.gif
There weren't many minis but the ones who were there were beautiful and I feel that they all really showed the "big" horse people how wonderful minis are. The minis were being shown right behind our consignment so when comments about the minis were made to my bosses, they directed the people to me to answer their questions. That kept me busy for a good part of the morning.
biggrin.gif
I always heard the comment, "Oh, they're just like big dogs!" and "You can just wrap your arms around them and carry them around."
rolleyes.gif
Of course, that was until a mare let her back feet fly at a stallion that was too close to her. She certainly turned a few heads and proved that even though they might be small, they sure are not "dogs." I also received the comment, "I never realized how much they do actually look like horses, except smaller."
rolleyes.gif
When the driving classes started, now that brought an audience. There was one outfitted for roadster and of course, that really set well with the Standardbred people with the driver in colors and the smaller size sulky. So I think today's show was a great promotion for our breed. Too bad, the "gathering" of "show people" and "race horse people" is few and far between. But today was a good one.

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures

That's great, Linda...it's good to know that the big horse people are seeing good examples of the breed and have someone knowledgeable to answer their questions. I'll bet the roadster class converted some diehard Standardbred people into future mini owners!

When I showed Mingus at our county fair against the big horses, I expected to hear the old "what are they good for" comments, but I heard nothing of the sort. My favorite comments were from the old guys who came up to admire him, especially those who said he was a miniature version of a favorite horse of theirs.

I really have enjoyed taking minis to open shows in the past and may do it some more next season. It's a great way to educate big horse people about how beautiful and how functional minis can be!

Latest posts

Back