NIPPERS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAILS

Reaction score
NEED OPINIONS ON WHATS THE BEST KIND TO BUY, PLEASE. PROS AND CONS. THANKS

I really like our Baracudda (sp?) nippers. I like the way they leverage the pressure. That plus them being so sharp makes it easy to cut through hoofs.

I second.. or is it third... the Barracudas!
default_wub.png
They were awkward at first, but now I love how easily they cut. Of course, the only other nippers that I have to compare them to are the cheapos from our local feed store. They wouldn't hardly make a dent in some of my mini's hooves!
default_no.gif

I really need to order the barracuda nippers
default_smile.png

I think with nippers, you really get what you pay for ....that can be a bad or good thing.

I have to give the Barracudas a BIG thumbs UP as well!
default_thumbup.gif

Hubby gave them to me for Christmas last year.... they do take a bit of getting used to, but I have to say that I don't use any other nippers now. They are a bit cumbersom for my small hands, but I manage, and I LOVE them!

They make my dreaded job of trimming my Angora goat's badly deformed hooves MUCH easier. (He was foundered before I adopted him several years ago), and his hooves sure are a challange!

I use the Barracudas on all of my Miniatures, including my 7 dwarf Minis, sure would hate to have to go back to my old nippers now!
default_no.gif

Well I purchased the GE nippers from a private sale and have never been more disappointed in my life. They do not cut the hoof and I have never been able to use them after giving 130.00 for them.
default_unsure.png
default_sad.png

I grind my horses feed with a hand grinder and that is what works best for me. If I ever purchase nippers again it will be the Barracudas though.

Best of luck!

I wont use anything but GE Nippers. They are very sharp, cut through the hardest hoof easily and are well made. I have used other brands, but like my GE's the best.

~Jen~

What you LOVE may depend a lot on what you were using before!

I've seen all the raves about the Barracudas, but like Linda (Fred), I know MYSELF well enough, after 24 years of doing my own minis', that I wouldn't care for the offset--AND, I have small hands/short fingers, and take to heart the comments of those with a similar hand 'configuration' who say they've had problems in that respect.

I has a pair of DS 'racetrack' nippers, and they are GREAT! Top quality; and were a bit less expensive than GE's. I do believe that the shorter handles (12", or perhaps, 14") and the narrower blades are a big 'plus' when using them to trim miniatures.

Margo

I will say it took H awhile to get used to the Barracudas. He's the one who does our minis and has for years now. But, now that he's adjusted, he loves them. I think the big thing is don't go with a cheap pair of nippers. When we first started, we had a cheap pair not knowing better, but quickly upgraded to a more expensive set which did us great and then got the Barracudas recently.

Loved the GE but last month purchased a pair of Lopez (I think would have to check with husband) and they are as good as the GE (probably because he worked for GE
default_wink.png
)and much cheaper.

Latest posts

Back