Quantcast

Nipper Automation.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

betwys1

Reaction score
I am finding DIY hoof-trimming is getting to be a nuisance.
I noticed a hydraulically actuated nipper; just the job for rock-hard, dry hooves? Then I saw the price...not good.
Next I noticed an ad for garden shears, with a scimitar blade driven by a geared electric motor. I thought this might be worth a try, so I sent for one. In a bait n switch, the shears I received were the manual variety. So I am back to looking for regular nippers which close on a geared electric motor, powered as usual these days, by Li-ion cells which are an excellent step forward in battery power. I have the electric lawn mower, and whipper-snipper which are powered this way - and they work well.
So for the time being, I am making do with nippers which have narrowed jaws to reduce the effort, and are as sharp as a nipper can be made. (These parts - SW Oklahoma - are often in drought, so hooves grow tough!)

Reactions: Taz

Taz

Reaction score
If you find something that works PLEASE let us know, the minis are no problem but some of my big ones kill me. I was looking at the small grinders that are out for trimming but I don't know how long it would take for them to learn to stand for the noise and I'm not paying the money to find out.

Latest posts