nice drive today - things getting better

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studiowvw

Reaction score
The new longer britchen strap arrived the other day. Today I had time and good weather and I hitched up Lacey for the first time in a week or so.

Lacey now has a good relaxed walk - she walks about 50% of the time and usually stops or slows down on finger squeezes like she used to. I did learn a lot from the training blip! More than if it hadn't happened.

She still does not like traffic - we encountered 2 ATVs today and she had a little snit fit over them. She did ok at the two fairs, being exposed to so many vehicles and activity.

Anyways! I can see the sliding backband adjusting for when the cart is tilted. That's pretty cool.

I need to take the singletree off the top and refasten it to the bottom of the shafts. The line of the shafts is actually crossing the line of the traces - probably not so good! I also need to refresh my memory on how to tie the hold backs now that the britchen is ample.

When leaning back a bit in the cart, I can see the shafts pretty much float in the tug loops. This doesn't work so well when driving in the bumpy field.

I inquired and got permission to take her to the fairgrounds to use their stonedust track - they said they are keeping it open for "light recreational use". Hoping to go tomorrow afternoon, maybe!

I'm hoping to get a video of us travelling on the track, to see how we are doing.

Are you perhaps getting a bit worried and tense about the ATVs Wilma because Lacey was certainly not upset about any traffic when she was here. Horses being herd animals pick up on our feelings really quickly and if you are worried about her spooking at the ATV's she will be worried about them too. Try taking deep breaths and roll your shoulders back, relax and then ask her to do something - turn or circle or transition up or down - anything to get her mind on her job. You can go on my website on the education pages to see a diagram of how to wrap the holdback straps. Right click on it and you can print it off to take out to the barn with you.

Hi Lori - yes, I have gone back to your website to re-educate myself about the holdbacks. Thanks for the info!

She was ok with the ATVs when she could see them, but when they were behind her (and she couldn't see past the blinders) she was NOT happy.

I remember you did lots of road driving with her and improved her a lot, but even then she was still not 100% about it. You're probably right, I know she will object, so I get a bit worried myself
default_smile.png

She's never been good about vehicles - my only complaint about her.

Even when I first got her as a 2yo, she would spook at a car when we met them on the road - the worst of any horse I've had here. She's getting better on line on the road, but that's something I still need to improve. We're on a narrow gravel road with blind corners, so I may never feel up to going any distance on the road with her.

I'm thinking about changing over to driving without blinders so she can see. In her other bridle she could see over top of the blinder and I would see her eye looking back at me. In the new one, she can't look back.

If there another person with an experienced horse that can go driving with you to sort of buddy up with. I don't know your whole situation with experienced horse people near you but sometimes a buddy helps keep the stress level low. Also talk to your horse while driving, I always talk to mine and it helps me through some nervous times when driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
CZP1 has some good advice - it is harder to be tense and worried when you are thinking and talking. I really do believe it is your tension Lacey is reacting to because she was passed from behind by transport trailers on the highway here and was fine. I think you are worried about the narrow road and blind corners (and with the idiots driving today you have good reason to be worried!) and Lacey is reacting to that tension. If you have a friend with a 4 wheeler that could come over and drive around you and Lacey until she, and you, are calm about them that would be good. You can lower the blinders on your bridle to allow her to see over them if that works for her just be sure to adjust her bit at the same time. That is what tells me it is your reaction that is bothering her because when she can rely on her own senses she is okay but when she relies on your direction she gets upset.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Tis true, a horse buddy ahead would probably help us both
default_smile.png
Driving at the fairs helped too.

It is not all me though, because she still spooks off passing vehicles when she is free in the paddock beside the road.

I know you were able to drive her on the shoulder with the transports going by, Lori. I totally admire your training abilities, but I myself could not possibly put myself into that position! Yikes!

She is getting better, but the two loud ATVs coming up directly behind her were too much for her composure.

I think it would be a good idea to get someone to drive our ATV around us while I am driving her. Or maybe start with my small car, then up it to the loud ATV.

Still hoping to make it down your way one of these days. It's about 2 hour drive though, so need to find a free day with good weather
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back