NHR Computer related

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfogg

Reaction score
My computer is 14 years old and is on it's last legs, so I am being forced to get another one. I am very confused on what to get.

At school we have Apples (old very old) and I love the simplicity.

I have a Dell at home I don't like it, but beggars can't be choosers, it was used when I got it.

I use it for email and a few other things, but nothing fancy.

I had a Hewlett Packard years ago until lightning made a direct hit and it was toast. I liked it a lot. Any advice?

I can't afford to get the wrong computer anyone have Imac and do you like it?

Thanks

Bonnie

My computer is 14 years old and is on it's last legs, so I am being forced to get another one. I am very confused on what to get.

At school we have Apples (old very old) and I love the simplicity.

I have a Dell at home I don't like it, but beggars can't be choosers, it was used when I got it.

I use it for email and a few other things, but nothing fancy.

I had a Hewlett Packard years ago until lightning made a direct hit and it was toast. I liked it a lot. Any advice?

I can't afford to get the wrong computer anyone have Imac and do you like it?

Thanks

Bonnie
I would visit a local "mom and pop" style computer shop and see if they can build you a computer. I did that, and mine is coming up on it's 4 year old mark and still going strong--(although I do all my own upgrades and repairs). These smaller stores can usually rig you up something that you really want, and can really use at a fraction of the cost of those big box names.

I'm not too familiar with Apple computers, but I have heard that they are reliable and do not get viruses like PC's do. I'd shop around and make comparisons as to usability and price.

Best of luck "puter" shopping. I know it can be daunting, but i'm sure it will all work out for you.
default_smile.png

Edited to add as an example: My computer: MS Windows XP SP2/Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz/767 MB RAM/Radeon 9250 . The Radeon is the video card--(I hate onboard video)--I use the onboard sound though. I did pay $2000.00 for this computer though--but that was with the monitor.

:Kim

Last edited by a moderator:
Hubby just got a Mac laptop (notebook something or other) just before Christmas and he loves it! As a matter of fact he says once my Gateway goes on me I should look into a Mac. Heard many good things about them.

What are you doing looking at Imacs? I know that some like them. I person use HP/Compaq. I can have Bob email you if you want...let me know.

I would go to Future Shop or Best Buy or what ever you have there. Buy a complete computer package or laptop. Be sure that you buy insurance to cover any problems with your computer. Make sure that the vidio card can handle digital. There is a big difference between digatal and analog when hooked up to your lcd monitor. Prices start around 600.00 dollars and go up depending on what you are looking for.

KenBen

I know you said you're not crazy about Dell but they have a special going right now....very good price. I just got a new Dell Vostro mini tower (recommended by a computer technician) last week that I'm happy with but wish I'd known about this special that's going on now. $429 for a new computer & monitor ain't bad at all.

Bonnie, We have a Gateway desktop I really like it, my son has a Gateway laptop he likes it too. My husband and I have Dell laptops his for work, mine for fun, we both like them, however my favorite computer we have ever had is a Sony but when it ended up with a corrupt hard drive at almost 8 years old we didnt have the money to get another one they are pretty pricey. Good luck, Kathy

Dells are highly rated for both satisfaction and support, far above Gateway and HP. I've had nothing but good experiences with Dells, and we have five of them in the house. My laptop did just die last week after five years of difficult work (I'm not easy on laptops... make them work in the barn every day, travel thousands of miles in the car, drop them off buildings, etc). I'd definately ONLY consider a Dell for my next computer.

Apples are definately hot potatoes these days. If you can afford them and they do what you want, they are difficult to beat. They really aren't directly comparable to PCs though, so its difficult to argue one against the other. I grew up with Macs and have four in the other room, and I do love them to pieces, but for every day work I need a PC. If that's what you want, definately do some research to figure out which model you need. If you decide you want a PC, definately reconsider the Dells.

In deference to my son's constant coaching I have to say; with a Mac you can only buy from one company for any add ons you may want later. You can never get any open source (free) software for them. For any PC brand you can find nearly any add on from several different suppliers (plus a number of open source choices) giving you more choice and usually better prices (competition helps ;) )

Good luck whatever you choose, I love getting a new system but really HATE shopping for it.

Latest posts

Back