NH trying to make it a law to register you horse with the state, like dogs!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildflowers

Reaction score
This will effect all people who have livestock if we let this continue!!

New Equine/horse law is due to be voted on. Please Read Everyone!I just found this on a horse site , this is extremely important to all us horse folks and anyone who owns livestock as you could be next!! Next it will be NAIS (National Animal Identification System) just the govt' sticking there nose where it doesn't belong !

Please read below, this is being voted on January 27th, next Tuesday, please voice your opinion to our goverment..

[SIZE=12pt]HB 427-FN-A-LOCAL – AS INTRODUCED[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Nine[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]AN ACT relative to equine licenses.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]1 New Subdivision; Equine Licenses. Amend RSA 435 by inserting after section 41 the following new subdivision:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Equine Licenses[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]435:42 Procuring License. Every owner or keeper of an equine as defined by RSA 436:93 4 months old or over shall annually, cause it to be registered, numbered, described, and licensed for one year in the office of the clerk of the city or town in which the equine is kept. The license shall be furnished by the clerk at the expense of the city or town. Regardless of when the license is obtained, the license shall be effective from May 1 of each year to April 30 of the subsequent year. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]435:43 Vaccination Required. Before a license is issued under the provisions of this subdivision, the owner or keeper of an equine shall furnish to the clerk verification from a licensed veterinarian that the equine has been vaccinated against rabies [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]435:44 Part of Year. An owner of an equine may at any time have it licensed until the ensuing May 1 and a person becoming the owner or keeper of an equine not duly licensed after May 1 shall cause it to be registered, and licensed as provided in RSA 435:42.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]435:45 Transfer. A license duly recorded shall be valid in any part of the state, and may be transferred with the equine licensed. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]435:46 Fees.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I. The fee for every license for a year or portion of a year shall be $25 for all equines.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]II. Of the fee described in paragraph I:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt](a) $10 shall be retained by the municipality to be used for animal control costs.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt](b) $10 shall be deposited in the general fund.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]© $5 shall be deposited in the state veterinarian’s fund established under RSA 435:51.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]435:47 Payment of Fees. Clerks of the towns and cities shall issue equine licenses, receive the money for the licenses, and pay the same into the treasuries of their respective towns and cities on or before June 1 each year. The clerks shall return to their respective town or city treasurer a sworn statement of the amount of moneys thus received and paid over by them.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]435:48 Records.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I. Clerks of towns and cities shall keep a record of all licenses issued by them, with the names of the keepers or owners of equines licensed, and the names, registered numbers and descriptions of all such equines. Clerks of towns and cities shall furnish yearly to the local governing body a list of those owners who have failed to renew their license for use in preparing the warrant of unlicensed equines.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]II. With the owner’s consent, a veterinarian may report the euthanizing or death during treatment of a licensed equine to the town or city clerk in order to have the record reflect that the equine was euthanized or died. A veterinarian providing such a report may also provide the town or city clerk with the mailing and street addresses of the owner of the equine. Written reports, if any, shall be destroyed after receipt by the town or city clerk, and any resulting record reflecting the equine’s death shall not specify the manner or cause of death.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]435:49 Account. Each city and town treasurer shall keep an accurate and separate account of all moneys received and expended by such treasurer under the provisions of this subdivision relating to equines.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]435:50 Forfeiture. Whoever is the owner or keeper of an equine and who fails to license or renew the equine license pursuant to RSA 435:42 shall forfeit $25 to the town or city clerk of the municipality in which the equine is kept. If the forfeiture is not made to the town or city clerk within 15 calendar days of the notice of forfeiture, the case may be disposed of in a district court as a violation with a fine not to exceed $50, notwithstanding the provisions of RSA 651:2, IV. A forfeiture shall not relieve the owner or keeper of the requirement of proper licensing of the equine as required by RSA 435:42. Any forfeitures collected under this section may be retained by the city or town for the administration and enforcement of this chapter.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]435:51 State Veterinarian’s Fund.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I. There is hereby established in the office of the state treasurer a state veterinarian’s fund which shall be kept distinct and separate from all funds. Five dollars from each fee collected in RSA 434:47 shall be credited to such fund. Such fund shall be nonlapsing and continually appropriated to the department of agriculture, markets and food, state veterinarian for the carrying out of his or her duties.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]II. The fee established under RSA 435:47 shall accrue and be paid to the department on June 1 of each year. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]2 New Subparagraph; State Veterinarian’s Fund. Amend RSA 6:12, I(b) by inserting after subparagraph (276) the following new subparagraph:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt](277) Moneys deposited in the state veterinarian’s fund established in RSA 435:51.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]3 Effective Date. This act shall take effect July 1, 2009.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]LBAO[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]09-0777[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]01/14/09[/SIZE]

<A href="http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2009/HB0427.html">HB 427 would require all owners of equines older than 4 months to annually license their animals with the town/city clerk for $25 upon proof that the animal had been vaccinated for rabies. The hearing is set for Tuesday, January 27 th at 1:45 pm before the House Local and Regulated Revenues Committee in Room 303 of the Legislative Office Building

If you can not make the hearing, please write a letter to your representatives and to the members of the committee. In NH – you really can make a difference and legislators will listen to you.

If you do not know who your legislator is, click on the link below to find out-[SIZE=10pt]http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/whosmyleg/[/SIZE]

To write to the committee members with your point of view – here’s the link to the committee members. You can click on their names and get their email addresses to send them an email or their regular address to send a letter. http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/comm...s.aspx?code=H21
Legislative building - behind the state house on N. State Street. [SIZE=14pt]Sunday, Jan, 25[/SIZE] 10:00 Bow Recreational Center, Bow NH The Bow Community Building is on the corner of Knox and Logging Hill Road off I 89, Exit 1
NHHC and concerned equine owners educational meeting and discussion on this bill - I am moderating. Spread the word, its open to the public. [SIZE=14pt]Patricia Morris, Esquire[/SIZE]

I sent an email to the chairman. I doubt she will answer. A $25 fee for each horse would really put a squeeze on most peoples budget.

It is NOT RIGHT to do this. In fact its downright criminal as its just a way for them to pick our pockets. Live free or die [state motto]my butt. If they do this to horse owners they HAVE to do it to all livestock owners as well. I don't know who thought up this bill but if it was someone who was voted in I bet they never get elected again. Linda

Maybe this should be on the main forum.

I sure hope people get riled up about this because you are right, if it passes there it won't be long before all of the other states get hit with this.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is where they go next Linda, cattle then sheep ect.
default_no.gif

I also want you to know that ONE of the sponsors of this bill KNOWS better. Her family runs a farrier supply business and I know that it must be causing some VERY interesting discussions in that family.

OK will someone please explain what on earth is the purpose of this?

What on earth is their justification?

Did they have nothing better to do than to dream up this stuff?

It seems like just a way to extort cash out of the equine community and take a census of how many equine are in the state.

Ok, this info is from the NHQHA:NEW HAMPSHIRE QUARTER HORSE ASSOCIATION

ACTION ALERT

Next week, the New Hampshire legislature will consider House Bill 427 which would require all municipalities to license equine in an effort to establish and fund a state veterinarian office. The bill also provides for $10 of each $25 licensing fee to be retained by municipalities to cover animal control costs. The full text of the bill can be reviewed by clicking on the link below.

An information meeting to review and discuss this bill will be held on Sunday, January 25 at 10 a.m. at the Bow Recreation Center, located at the corner of Knox and Logging Hill Roads in Bow, New Hampshire.

We urge you to contact your representative in New Hampshire legislature to voice your opposition to this bill immediately. A hearing on the bill will be held in the New Hampshire House of Representatives this coming Tuesday, January 27 1:45 in Room 303 of the Legislative Office Building. It is imperative you voice your opposition prior to this hearing.

Please act now!

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2009/HB0427.html

How to find your State Representative

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/default.htm

Link to the NH Senate

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/senate/senatemembers.asp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and this info is from a friend who said to cross post. tell all your friends!PLEASE pass this along to anyone who may be interested. I am going to try and attend the hearing and I think as many horse people as possible should also try to go…I don’t know anything else about this, except that it has kind of slipped “under the radar” and the next time you go to town to register your vehicles or dogs, you may find out you have to pay these licenses for your horses as well!

HB 427 would require all owners of equines older than 4 months to annually license their animals with the town/city clerk for $25 upon proof that the animal had been vaccinated for rabies. The hearing is set for Tuesday, January 27th at 1:45 pm before the House Local and Regulated Revenues Committee in Room 303 of the Legislative Office Building .

That is coming out of NH!??!!!! What happened to "Live free or Die"?

The is the dumbest thing I heard. Hope folks can make them see reason... or they are going to have to remove their state motto.

I sent out about 100 e-mails about this, to the state reps. I got about 15 e-maills back all that replied to me said when it comes up to vote they are all against it.

But if you can't make the meeting on Jan 27, they strongly suggest that we write letters, to the reps and let your thoughts be heard. Here is a forum going on the equinesite.com BB under NH that has alot of e-mails for reps on it and alot of other good info, so please check it out. There is going to be a special meeting put on by NHQHA tomorrow in Bow NH, for those that can't make it to Concord on the 27th. Please take time to write a letter, and let your thoughts be heard, this is to important to sit on the fence and wait for your neighbors to do it.......

Here is the link on equinesite http://discus.equinesite.net/discus/messag...html?1232828700

Wonder how many people have been bitten by a rabid horse???

Pam

The reasoning is to fund a "state veterinary office" ???? OH BROTHER. That is (almost) the most idiotic thing I've heard in a long time........ Okay, sure......gather the fees........build the office and then who pays to USE the facility? The fees will go ON and On and ON......

I just love our wonderful government at work..... The darn pickpockets!

This is also going to bankrupt a lot of people who have more than just a couple pasture ponies in their yard. WHAT ARE THESE CITY IDIOTS THINKING????

This is the next stage of forcing people not to have horses.....unless you are rich.

Just think if they do this.. they will make the US homeless horse problem even worse. Not very smart.
default_no.gif

I do own horses and do not want this passed, but I think that the main issue here is where does it go next,

Cow, pigs, chickens , goats etc.

I believe it is just another way for the NAIS (National Animal Indentification System, by our wonderful goverment) to get their foot in the door.

My daughters want to show their goats in 4-h , but I won't because in NH they have to have an indentification tag and number, I just won't do it.

If we don't stand up for ourselves eventually it will be us, with the microchips under our skin....

Wildflowers, can you please keep us updated on this and let us know if it passes?

I am very worried that this will catch on like wildfire across this country. There are a lot of states looking for ways to add money to their coffers.

Think of all of the neglected horses. I think this may be away for the the state to keep track of them. They need vaccines yearly to get a license, that means a vet will see them at least 1X a year. If someone doesn't license them there would be fee's and visits from the local ACO??

We do not have a mandatory License program in FL, BUT we do have a mandate on a Coggins. Any equine MUST have a Coggins, Its a PIA! I can't even move them to the arena as I live next to an Ag station. ITs a $60 farm call and $20 for EACH Coggins. They have less stolen horses, its supposed to "protect" the race industry, but we all know after a Coggins is pulled they could get it the same day. At our animal Welfare meeting they said a LOT of states are going to try to push the Coggins or the license to attempt to get more animals better taken care of or surrendered. Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
FloridaChick, I understand your thoughts on this matter, but this is a precursor to BIG BROTHER (pardon the pun), I humbly believe it is a back door to NAIS tracking our every move with our horses. If anyone did not read the 2005 NAIS proposal for equine, I suggest people start there and then catch up with all the new proposals.

Originally, and now the language is toned down a tiny bit, we, this year, were supposed to report moving a horse off our properties within 24 hours to the NAIS, even if I stepped a hoof on the state highway out my driveway - I would have to report that to the NAIS.

Now they are pushing to us the Coggins tests to get every horse registered and eventually we will be required to put an implant in our horses ears.

A rabies license is just another way to 1) register our farms and our equine 2) cost the average equine owner a lot of money in vet fees and possibly put some equine owners out of their hobby or business.

Begs the question - where will all the unwanted horses go then?

Michigan had the Coggins law for a while but it was repealed. You could not even ride your horse down the road without a coggins. I wonder if ANY lawmakers understand exactly what the Coggins test even is? U S E L E S S !!

Yep, both the test AND the lawmakers!!
default_wacko.png

Question for NH - do they require cats to be licensed and have rabies shots?

Cats are NOT required to be licensed in NH but they reccomend rabies shots. Heck a lot of DOGS in this town aren't even licensed. This is nothing but a money grab and a big brother in your face act. Linda

It surprises me that a woman whose family runs a farrier supply business would try to get this bill passed. She sure must like to gamble with her business.

Also, politicians have the brains of roaches. They can't see that horses are being neglected already because of the economy? They must be able to see this as another hardship to horse owners, especially the lady with the farrier supply business. Her thing is to submit a law that burdens the horse owner even more. Like I said, brains of a roach and must like to gamble with her business.

This is a foolish law thought up by foolish people. I've always said it is surprising that these people who are voted for by their neighbors, family and friends are so willing to come up with laws to steal from the same people who vote them in. I think the only real honest politician would be a true farmer who knows how it feels to work seven days a week while struggling for the next dollar. Suits are not the people who are best to decide what the farmer does because the suits are only interested in how deep the family, friends and neighbors pockets are; a farmer cares about the people, not their money.

Latest posts

Back