News on John's Dwarf Gene?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive just always had a gut feeling that the numbers will be much higher then we suspect. But I could be totally off base. Hopefully John will explain more when he has time of what the test will actually test for and how that will affect breeders etc. Right now we are just kinda assuming that it will be similar to LW but we really dont know.

My big fear has always been that people will immediately dump horses that test positive for the dwarf gene and/or really flood a market that cant handle it.

I think to be responsible we have to look at all sides of this issue because some of the repercussions may not be what we originally intended by having this test. I think it was a couple years ago a breeder posted here that the answer may shock us all and could turn the industry on its head.

Again I think its wonderful and Im so glad the day is here but it may be very far reaching

I wonder about the prevalence of the gene too, but I think there could be a silver lining. I agree with the poster that said the easiest and cheapest way to breed safely would be with a negative stallion. So what happens to the positive stallions? This could be a huge boon to our industry's efforts to promote geldings. I know I'll be testing all of our stallions first, and being a small farm it only makes sense that I would geld carriers if I had them. I think it's a great idea to do it while sending in DNA too.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be a great tool for those looking for a stallion prospect! Provided the seller/breeder would allow the testing to be part of the sales contract! I think it's going to be interesting how this plays out.

Maybe I am naive, but I don't see people dumping otherwise good quality horses that test positive for dwarfism. After all, there are likely to be a good number of people who know which of their horses will test positive because they have already produced a dwarf. This test will help them find negative horses to cross with their positives. Of course, a lot depends on how prevalent the gene is. I think you might see that horses proven not to carry the dwarf gene would increase in value, unless the prevalence is a lot lower than I think it will be. I also predict that buyers will become more aware and discriminating.

Would you buy an untested stallion or potential broodmare once the test becomes available???? I don't think I would.

Maybe I am naive, but I don't see people dumping otherwise good quality horses that test positive for dwarfism. After all, there are likely to be a good number of people who know which of their horses will test positive because they have already produced a dwarf. This test will help them find negative horses to cross with their positives. Of course, a lot depends on how prevalent the gene is. I think you might see that horses proven not to carry the dwarf gene would increase in value, unless the prevalence is a lot lower than I think it will be. I also predict that buyers will become more aware and discriminating.
Would you buy an untested stallion or potential broodmare once the test becomes available???? I don't think I would.

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
I personally, very strongly agree with your post. And no, I would not buy a horse if it has not been tested, and the results made available to me, once there is a test. As was mentioned in an earlier post, I think it is a wonderful idea to have them all (manditorily) tested at the time of DNA testing, and have the results posted directly onto the papers, and that way, there would be no "accidental" breedings, for every owner of a registered horse would know. It might also be a good idea to disallow registration of a foal when it is the result of two known carriers being bred together.

At least with a test soon available, even if for one one type right now, it is a start, and step in the right direction! I am just so excited about this!!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

It might also be a good idea to disallow registration of a foal when it is the result of two known carriers being bred together.
Why would you disallow registration of this foal?? If my math is correct you'd have 25% chance of having a non-carrier foal, 50% chance of a carrier and 25% chance of a dwarf. That foal could be perfectly normal.

Edited to add......I would not knowingly breed 2 carriers together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back