Newly Neutered Dog exercise questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaniceZ

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

My puppy was neutered yesterday. Everything went well, except we could hear him wining from the parking lot when we picked him up lol. He did not appreciate being locked up LOL. We have had him home for 24 hours and are ready to pull our hair out.

Pippin is an Australian shepherd, as far as the breed goes he is fairly quiet, but having 2 days with no walking, he is bouncing off the walls. The vet said no walking, playing or strenuous activity for 10 - 14 days! How is this possible? Is there anything we can do that wont bother his stitches, but will get his energy out?

Thanks!

I currently have four male dogs, all neutered. We have never been told that they shouldn't have normal activity after a surgery. Only one moped around for a couple of days, but after that he was fine. I don't think it would be a good idea to go out and play fetch or encourage rough or excessive exercise, but I don't see anything wrong with letting them move around as they normally would. He's likely to drive you insane being contained for nearly two weeks. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had more dogs spayed and neutered over the years than I can even remember, and I have NEVER limited their activity at all, nor have I been advised to. Once they are feeling up to it, they will do what is comfortable to them. Thery are much smarter than us in that they do not have the tendancy to overdo things. I would just let him be him. Take him for walks, but just make them shorter to start with. And neutering, is really a next to nothing type procedure.

Yeah, that sounds odd. It's only two tiny incisions and only a few stitches.. It's a pretty minor surgery.

thank you! this is exactly what i wanted to hear! If he wants to play I let him.

If you were me would you walk him?

If you usually walk him, then yes, I'd continue like normal if you want to. If you don't usually take walks, then I wouldn't add anything new. If he's bouncing around on his own, then chances are the incision spot isn't bothering him, and I wouldn't start or stop anything in your normal daily routine.
default_smile.png

Nowadays vets are generally pretty skilled,,, even with a spay (which is much more invasive) my vet has never mentioned restricted activity... Your pup should be fine!

I would go on normal walks. I wouldn't play flyball or frisbee with him.

When I had my Aussie spayed, the vet said keep her quiet for a few days; we thought the best way to do that would be to keep her away from the other dogs, so we put her on the other side of a kiddie gate, she jumped it, that was it for us and we let her be her and just tried to do quiet things with her. NOrmal walks, no rough housing (the other dogs seemed to get it, and didn't engage her for a few days) and just let her do her own thing within reason.

The only thing my vet said when my boys went in on valentines day was to limit jumping for about 48 hours.

If you exercise a freshly neutered male dog too much the inner stitches tend to run and they make serum which fills the now empty sack. It can look like he still has balls. Too much swelling and serum can delay healing. I have owned many dogs. I just leash walk. On a more active dog I leash in the house too. They heal nicely. I don't do full exercise until cleared by my vet. Best wishes. I know how it is to have a young active dog bouncing off the walls. Its worth it to wait to exercise typing on kindle ugh...edited to say they rub not run. Lol. You can check him for swelling and cut back exercise then..often if they get swelling the urge to chew out the stitches can bear problem. I like the e collars rhat look like inner tubes on their neck rather than a lampshades. Good luck. Sorry about the type errors..call me too old for atouch screen.

Ps..you can do some scent work with him to alleviate boredom. Loads of fun doing that.. Ps my vet says two weeks restricted activity. She doesn't like to drain serum or have to cover for infection and doesn't like to re stitch when all three can begreatly reduced by restricting activity and by wearing a collar. Two weeks hand walking lots less hard on pocketbook and vet bills. Costs money ..well worth beingconservative than being sorry with an added $400 vet bill for lack of compliance to thevets direction. Google scent or nose work dogs for ideas. Exercise his mind. He will suck it up like a sponge

Latest posts

Back