Newbie!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanna

Reaction score
So, I have had two darling mini mares for about 36 hours. My understanding is that they are 15 and 17 years old(one is registered, so I can be sure of her age, the 17 year old), and are supposedly broken to drive. So far, they are gentle, sweet, and eager to be close to us (me, my husband, and two sons, 12 and 14). They seem to be in good condition, not overweight. Farrier was out Friday, and said their feet look great. They are currently on about an acre and a half of scrubby, partially wooded pasture, with a run-in shed. They are my only livestock. I can’t believe how chill they are. They couldn’t care less about my dogs, and they come running everytime they see or hear me. Their names are Dolly and Sally. I am in the market for all the information I can get about mini care, feeding, housing, exercising, driving... links and resources much appreciated. Mostly, I already just love these sweet girls so much already, and am looking to do the best by them I possibly can.

Oh my goodness! Sounds like you have two gems. I am sure there is a club near you. Check the American Miniature Horse website to find something nearby. Finding another owner nearby who knows what feeds and conditions are in your area would be most helpful.
1000 owners will each have opinions on feed and care. Search in the topics for some ideas.
Keep us posted!

Hello Joanna!

I am new here and what I did was to do some searches around and read different posts until I found things that made sense to me and my minis.
As Marsha said, people can have different opinions and options and I guess it also depends on what is available where you live.
My minis are currently eating compressed hay bales I buy at a local store. Some people avoid feeding them alfalfa and grain.
There is a special food for minis and ponies made by Purina which works wonders when I want my minis to do something or come to me, just saying...

Feeding is something I’m getting more comfortable with. I’m doing lots of research on training, handling, driving... my plan os to spend the winter just loving on them and bonding, and mybe see what else we can get into in the spring. I’m really starting at the very beginning. A lot of the information I’m finding online assumes I have knowledge I don’t have. I am enjoying all the learning, though, and I’m sure the little ladies themselves will have a lot to teach me as we get to know each other.

Joanna, if you search the archives right here on LB you'll find lots of good information for beginners to minis and in pretty much every imagined topic. [Oops, guess we are just called Miniature Horse Talk, now, separated from Lil Beginnings at some point, I missed that change.]

Latest posts

Back