Newbie with lots of questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenasjbug

Reaction score

Hello all. I am new to miniature horses, and yet to get one. Waiting til I get my POA sold. Then I can hopefully make things work out with getting a grulla stud who I have fallen for.
wub.gif
I'm in my mid-20's and me and my hubby live on 3 acres (one big reason for going to the minis). We have lots of kitties, 2 dogs, some fish (goldfish who live in my watertanks in the summer), rabbits, a chinchilla, a grade appy mare and a POA mare.

I've read some of your posts partcularly about stall size and fencing. I have one that I didn't find answered and that is how high should the bottom strand (we use a electric poly tape) from the ground. My big horses do well with it at about 12 inches, though they well eat under it somewhat, but don't seem to get into it.

Also how do you all transport your minis? I know someone who has used her station wagon
smile.gif
Of course I can't see letting one in my sedan, I barely let the dogs in it.... Would something like a box made to go in a pick up truck bed be appropriate?

Do you all prefer to pasture breed or hand breed?

Can minis be ultrasounded at 14 days like large horses? How is this accomplished?

I've been told that minis rarely need shoes, but should a farrier trim the regulary? Or do they fine with a periodic rasping?

Ok I think that's it for now.
rolleyes.gif
I think. Hope you don't mind all of the questions.

Oh and does anyone know of any shows that would semi near north eastern Indiana?

Thanks a bunch

Danielle

Promise Acres

LaGrange, IN

They need there feet done just like a big horse, but no shows.

We pasture breed but used to do hand breeding.

Minis can be internally ultrasounded earlier then external but normally not before day 45.

WE have been told poly tape dont work for the minis...........with as much hair as they get, I cant imagine them feeling it.

We have a combo of split rail and electric.

THey go in a trailer, or my latest edition rode home in my 04 saturn, back seat, instile.

as for transportation , mine goes every where I go. And he knows not to go ooops in the SUV. LOL
Tonto4Ride2.jpg

when we go to shows he gets the whole trailer to himself, as there is so much crap in the back of truck he just won't fit . LOL

Welcome Danielle. You will get a lot of information from people here on the foum. There is also a good books to learn from...I love books for reference. My daughter just bought her third POA and loves them. Mary

saludando.gif
saludando.gif
Hi fellow hoosier here!

We use a regular two horse trailer, but have moved the pads down and it works just fine. You will find a number of different ideas here on the forum. I have moved babies in the back seat of my truck, putting up the seat.

Some use vans and other vehicles, but make modifications for safety.

We do feet usually ever 6 weeks. One that foundered is done every 4 weeks and for whatever reason, those who usually have it done every 6 weeks, go to every 8 weeks as they do not grow as much in the winter.

How we breed depends on the manners of the stallion. Last year had a stallion just run with the girls and he did great. Not that first problem. This year our two year old was hand bred, he is a little short in the manners department, but is learning.

My bottom row of fencing is 6 inches from the ground. That is because last year we had babies roll under the fence. Not roll really, but lie down to sleep, roll over to get up and be on the other side. I do know some have theirs higher and do well with it.

And most of the shows we attend are in the Western part of Ohio, not many here. One but is 3 hours south of you. Also go the Ill direction.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Welcome to the Forum.

One thought - you might want to address your specific questions in individual posts as some people are busy and don't read every post.

Fencing - 8" spacing is what I've always been told for minis. Polytape works, as they generally zap their nose first and then listen for the sound - so if it's off they'll know!

Transporting for safety reasons - you can take in larger SUV's - as long as you can block the back horse area from the people area. We have a modified van (Econoline Ford) that has a metal grating between the backseat and cargo area for the horses.

We prefer pasture breeding here and de-worm/vaccinate/trim as you would a large horse, obviously less wormer though!

Shows are listed on the AMHR website or contact the local clubs/breeders in your area.

Welcome to the forum!

You can get a mini trailer to transport minis. They weigh less than big horse trailers so can be pulled by smaller vehicles.

Hand breeding is safer for the stallion, especially if he's new to the logistics of it all!

First welcome from NY.

Minis don't wear shoes but should be trimmed by a good farrier at least every 8 wks.

I prefer hand breeding but an expereinced stallion and experienced mares can be pasture bred.

Worming is the same for minis with the rule to NEVER use Quest. Alternate wormers ever 6/8 wks and be sure to use ivermectin at least spring and fall.

Annual shots including rabies.

Stalls big enough to turn around in and lie down in without getting cast. Breeding stalls no smaller than 10x10.

Minis get fat on air so investigate feeding. I use Purina products and grass hay.

I had folks come last year with a big calf box in the bed of their ttuck to transport a colt. Worked great!

Best of luck. If you have a specific question post it as such or go to the bottom of the page and type it in. You'll get tons of info. WE also have a mini info site that is fabulous. Best wishes in your future in Mini Addiction.

Seems you've gotten your questions answered so I will just welcome you to the forum from your neighbor in the bluegrass state of Kentucky....... We prefer to hand breed since we only have a few miniature broodmares & one stallion (avatar). Would hate to see him injured by a bossy mare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello..I'm also learning so many new things. So far I've learned that mini's are super lazy and need lots of forced excersise. Example: 4-wheeler works great. Make sure to provide good sorces of salt and toys (balls,etc) so that your mini doesn't get bored..

I didn't see anyone responsed regarding the ultra sound time for a mini. My big horses get ultrasounded at 18 days. What about mini's? My mini will probably be only 28 at full height but I do have my eye on a super nice red roan over mini that is also small. 31. But that isn't going to happen for a few years.

rolleyes.gif

Welcome!

I have my mares ultra sounded at 14 days by our vet. I guess it depends on the vet.

As far as a trailer, for resale value, I went with a 2 horse slant and had the inside designed to the fit the minis. I can pull out all of the panels and haul my big horse in it too. I believe jmo its easier to sell a full size trailer then a mini one. Of course Im already thinking of getting a 3 horse goose neck and selling mine.

Shasta said:
Hello..I'm also learning so many new things. So far I've learned that mini's are super lazy and need lots of forced excersise. Example: 4-wheeler works great. Make sure to provide good sorces of salt and toys (balls,etc) so that your mini doesn't get bored..

Shasta, how do you train your mini to run? with the 4 wheeler? I told my friend who just got a filly this summer and she is interested in keeping her active.

Thanks for your imput.

Danielle

I've never heard of Minis being super lazy nor do any of mine get "forced" exercise. I do know of a lot of people who get paranoid about their horses weight and do a lot of stuff that I have always found totally unnecessary in order to prevent their horses getting "fat"- the strange thing is these are people who could really do with taking a long hard look in the mirror at their own weight!!!
smile.gif

Still I've only been doing this for forty years, what do I know??
rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back