Newbie to driving minis...need some help:)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onequarterfarm

Reaction score
OK, so I am new to minis and driving:) I have lots of experienced helpers and I am gathering info before I start my hunt for a cart. I will be showing local shows and fairs and perhaps a few AMHA/AMHR shows per year. My guy is going to be more towards "western" for the rated shows and open pleasure for the local shows and fairs...I would love to do roadster at the fairs, just because I have always loved it and my little guy would love it too:) So here's my question....which cart?

I've been told NOT to get an easy entry, even for small shows, even though the price is sooo tempting....so is there a show cart out there that converts from pleasure to roadster and is under $1500? I want all black, no wooden ones, and want the most bang for my buck:) Let's hear your suggestions and opinions:)

The Jerald carts are capabile of doing what you want to do, but finding one in your price range may be difficult. Jerald and similar carts make an open wheel cart which looks nice in the shows, but for roadster you need a "closed wheel" cart, ie one with a guard around the outside of the wheel so that two carts can't hook their wheels together and wreck. You can get bolt on guards for this purpose. Check out someone that sells Jerald carts to see the diferences. You'll need to look for a good used cart as a new one is going to cost quite a bit. They are out there, good luck.

Try Prime Design Tack, they carry Graeber carts I believe they are around $1650 including shipping and a cover (brand new, you can pick color). Get a closed wheel design if you are planning on AMHA shows or roadster. I have one and I love it.

You can get a Graber cart directly from Mr. Graber, but you need to call him. I have one that I got this way that I use in shows and ordered as an open wheel so I can change to wooden wheels for doing ADS driving events, but also got a conversion "kit" of pieces of metal to go from the cart to the hub to make it legal for roadster. I think the price will be in your price range. BTW, my used Jerald was about the same price as the new Graber and I use the Graber all the time because it is lighter in weight.

I think your bet bet is a show cart, whether Graber or Jerald...

There are lots of places to look, too, if you would consider used. Several pages on Facebook that specifically cater to Minis and driving, plus eBay and Lil Beginnings. Half the fun is in the search!

Wow, what timing. I just decided to sell mine. I'm asking $1200 with covers, it's older but very nice - does however have green pinstriping (black with the green pinstripes. Closed wheel, legal for AMHA and AMHR for pleasure and roadster. I bought it 2 years ago at Nationals, but am no longer going to show roadster, and I have 3 other carts, so it's just sitting around. I'm in Iowa, but have a husband who is a horse transporter so can probably arrange transportation, depending where you are located and when you need it. I'll also be at the Windom MN show and Nationals and can deliver on the way to either. My email is [email protected], if you are interested, drop me note with your email address. I'll take some pics of it today when I go out to the barn.

Latest posts

Back