Newbie in need of answers please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhHorsePee

Reaction score
Hello people! I got started on minis accidentally. My sister goes to horse auctions ad saves at least one horse a month so they don't go to the "meat men." Well, on the July 1st I went with her and seen a little roan stallion that you could tell had pneumonia and a closed matted eye. The man that worked there said he was "wild and crazy." I kept going back to this little guy and then I went in the stallion pin they had him in. He walked right up to me and let me play with him. I told my sister I was going to buy him and give him TLC. A man said he didn't think he would live for two days. I bought Oliver for $200 found him a way home. he loaded perfect. Put $100 in vet bills in him with lots of antibiotics and groceries and he is beautiful and healthy,loving 31" stallion. You can do anything with. Two weeks later I bought him two girlfriends. A sorrel who is AMHA registered and had been just on pasture since May and one I don't even know what color to call her who was pretty much wild (I can half way catch and at least she will walk up to me now for a horse treat). Come to find out they were both expecting already. I have the itch pretty bad now!

My questions is if I can actually load the pics on is if you can please help me figure out her color (the one with the blaze). And also I was told I can not breed Oliver with anything that has white on it. Is this true? Does this mean pintos or all whites? I am cornfused!!! So many tell me no go ahead but I want to do what is right for my babies.

Thank you so much for your time.

Fran

Ohio

HPIM0080.jpg

HPIM0081.jpg

Picture005.jpg

A bigger picture of Promise!

Promise.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Fran -
saludando.gif
Welcome to the Forum. I want to commend you on the rescue of Oliver. I am sure he is glad you did it. As you found out it is easy to get bitten by the mini bug. LOL The picture is a bit small, but I am going to venture to say that the mare with the blaze looks to be a bay. If you wanted to breed Oliver to the mares pictured I don't see where there would be problem with their color. I believe it is not recommend to breed two roans together. Not just because a horse has white on it. I don't have any roans, but I am sure someone here will give a bit more input about it. Congratulations on your little mini herd!
aktion033.gif

Hi Fran,

Welcome to the forum! You'll love it here.

Big hugs to you for the job you have done with Oliver. He is a pretty boy now!

Oliver appears to be a silver bay roan. I only say roan because the pictures seem to show a mixture of white hairs on his body, along with the dark red ones. Is this correct?

Promise appears to be a liver chestnut roan with sabino (pinto). I really like her!

The other mare is definitely a silver bay.

Congratulations on your new venture.

Please don't become upset, but I just have to say.....it is not safe for horses to be wearing halters while loose in the pasture. So often someone comes here crying because their horse's halter caught on the fence or something in the field, and the horse broke its neck and died. Please take this in consideration for the safety of your beautiful minis.

Thank you for your help!! I just know I will love it here.

Heck no, I'm not upset re: the halters. The pics of the girls were at the place I bought them from cause I paid and picked up two days later. I was a little leary on not taking a snap shot of the ones I bought because she has soooooo many. Gingers is off. Promise still has hers on but I am a little scared of removing hers yet. Until that trust factor (her realizing she can trust me) Do you think that will be ok? She is getting better but is still leary of people. There is nothing she can catch it on and it is removed when she is in her stable. Do you think I can catch her with it off? Oliver's is off but I put it on to work with him. He got out one day (the day after we got him) and was making breakfast out of the soybeans. But he is so approachable, he loves people. We had to make the fence more stallion proof... I love that little guy! It's new fencing but I put a small animal containment zapper to it. It's not as such a shock as regular electric. We had it on for one week and now can keep it off. I think her just needed a buddy.

I will always take advise as just that. I don't get upset easy at all, so pour it on..

Thank you

Fran

Hi, and WELCOME from the northwoods of Wisconsin! I am so glad that you were there to rescue and help Oliver, he looks like a very handsome fellow!
wub.gif
I dont see where there would be any problem breeding Oliver ,and his roaning color to the mares at all. You do want to stay away from breeding 2 roans together.
no.gif
A true roan is born roan, and the number of white hairs dont change alot over its lifetime (but it might change seasonally) Roan is a gene called Rn, which is a homozygous lethal. Foals that are born with 1 roan allele (a allele represents one or more DNA sequences in a gene, which produces a praticular result) and 1 non-roan allele (Rnn) live and are roan. Foals that are born with 2 roan alleles (RnRn) always die in utero. Hope this helped explaining the roaning gene a little.
wink.gif
Corinne

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
I applaud you for rescuing Oliver, who has turned out to be a very nice looking little guy! And WELCOME
saludando.gif
from another Ohioan!
yes.gif

He does appear to be a Silver Bay Roan (the light mane & tail indicates the silver gene). As others have already told you....there should be no problems breeding him to anything except another true roan.

Promise looks to be a Sabino to me. Base color could be Bay, Silver Bay, or Liver. I don't think she is a true "roan" at all....since her head is also roaned. A true Roan will always have a dark head with no roaning. I think all her "roaning" is from the Sabino gene.

The other mare is definitely a Silver Bay.

Hi Fran, welcome to the Forum from Oklahoma.

You already have the answers on breeding roans, so I won't go into that.

However, none of your horses appear to be true roans to me. (Of course, that could be my computer screen. I really need a new one.) They appear to either be Sabino roaning (very different from a true roan) or possibly Appy roaning. Mottled skin on the nose and genitals and striped hooves would be other indications of Appy. I can't see the pictures well enough to tell.

Is Oliver registered with AMHA, AMHR, or both? A check of his pedigree might help with color.

By the way, the white socks, blaze, and chin spot on the mare are another indication of Sabino.

saludando.gif
Welcome and glad to meet you! Love the name Oliver, as I once rescued a little Miniature Schnauser and called him Oliver also..

He's one lucky guy and it must have been fate...what good work on your sisters part also. BRAVO!

Maxine

HI FRAN !!!!

Welcome to the forum from the Brave Little Prancers in Tennessee.

Thank you for saving Oliver. That was a good thing you did.

I don't know nothing much,
wacko.gif
but yes, don't leave halters on. They will find something to catch them on, even if it's their own foot when they reach up with a hind leg to scratch it.

If you are worried about catching them, make a very small paddock for them to begin with and keep them in there if you do not have stalls. Confine them in that small area where they will eat. They will get to know that is where to come to get fed. Take a stool and sit with them and give them treats too. I used tiny chopped up carrots. Before you know it, they will associate you and that little paddock as a great place to come to.
biggrin.gif

Lauralee said:
Please don't become upset, but I just have to say.....it is not safe for horses to be wearing halters while loose in the pasture.  So often someone comes here crying because their horse's halter caught on the fence or something in the field, and the horse broke its neck and died.  Please take this in consideration for the safety of your beautiful minis.
434901[/snapback]

IMHO it depends what type a fences she has... we have mesh all the way around with a board on top & round posts... our minis of 18 yr here always wear their halters.. On is a stallion, and if he got lose, my large mare would kill him... & we live on the corner & our minis could be road kill... our minis our safer with halters on, & if my mom had her way, all our horses & minis would be haltered 24/7, & I do disagree with this, but depending on the type of fencing & area... I feel halters are safe & necessary

Please let her decide for here self... I'm not saying it can't happen, but some times is necessary to keep their halters on

& Welcome from Ontario Canada!!!
saludando.gif

midnight star stables said:
Lauralee said:
Please don't become upset, but I just have to say.....it is not safe for horses to be wearing halters while loose in the pasture.  So often someone comes here crying because their horse's halter caught on the fence or something in the field, and the horse broke its neck and died.  Please take this in consideration for the safety of your beautiful minis.
434901[/snapback]

IMHO it depends what type a fences she has... we have mesh all the way around with a board on top & round posts... our minis of 18 yr here always wear their halters.. On is a stallion, and if he got lose, my large mare would kill him... & we live on the corner & our minis could be road kill... our minis our safer with halters on, & if my mom had her way, all our horses & minis would be haltered 24/7, & I do disagree with this, but depending on the type of fencing & area... I feel halters are safe & necessary

Please let her decide for here self... I'm not saying it can't happen, but some times is necessary to keep their halters on

saludando.gif

435052[/snapback]

Ok, so I can agree to some extent. When halters are a necessity with turn-out, just make sure they are the safer break-away variety, then if they do get themselves in trouble, they have a chance of the halter breaking and not having dire consequences.

chandab said:
Lauralee said:
Please don't become upset, but I just have to say.....it is not safe for horses to be wearing halters while loose in the pasture.  So often someone comes here crying because their horse's halter caught on the fence or something in the field, and the horse broke its neck and died.   Please take this in consideration for the safety of your beautiful minis.
434901[/snapback]

saludando.gif

435052[/snapback]

Ok, so I can agree to some extent. When halters are a necessity with turn-out, just make sure they are the safer break-away variety, then if they do get themselves in trouble, they have a chance of the halter breaking and not having dire consequences.

435116[/snapback]

Sorry, i ment to put that in! i agree 110%

Lauralee said:
Please don't become upset, but I just have to say.....it is not safe for horses to be wearing halters while loose in the pasture.  So often someone comes here crying because their horse's halter caught on the fence or something in the field, and the horse broke its neck and died.   Please take this in consideration for the safety of your beautiful minis.
434901[/snapback]

saludando.gif

435052[/snapback]

sorry, I have to disagree! I would NEVER leave my mares halter on! even if they can get stuck in the fence there is pleanty of other things that can happen! AND IT HAS! Yes it is her desision but we trying to help! Thats what the forum is for!! it is way dangerous and a axeident waiting to happen, its just to risky! but for you, its understandible, just make sure they can NEVER hurt them selfls!!

-Gage-

Hello Fran! Welcome from Missouri!!
saludando.gif

I also vote for sabino on the mare and stallion. I really like the other mare's color too.

Oliver looks like an in-your-back-pocket kinda guy
laugh.gif
He is cute
wub.gif
It was wonderful of you to help him out and give him a good home.

I hope you'll stick around
yes.gif
I've learned a lot from this forum!

Congratulations on your wonderful little mini herd and welcome to the wonderful world of miniature horses!

I agree with the others on their color and potential breeding. Did Oliver settle these girls or were they bred when you bought them?

Good luck and keep coming back!

Beth

Fantastic to get so much welcomed advise from such a wonderful group of mini saavy people. I am honored to be here!

I am unsure if Oliver is registered or not. I have the auction house trying to find out his previous owners names "when they get the time" so I can get info on him. If he is not I reckon I will WCMHR him. They girls were already expecting when I got them. The sorrel one who is AMHA is expecting from a registered pinto (black and white) and from what the woman remembered the same stallion is who Promise was with. Promise is not registered so she will become WCMHR. I wish AMHA would take them but I called and they told me they quit "hardshipping" minis.
sad.gif
I wish they would. I had my friends three year old on Olivers back today and he did great!!

The halters I ordered are break away. I had to order them because all of our stores only have big horse items. In the mean time I am really also nervous of having promises halter on or off. She's a whipper snapper! I assure you the fences are very horse friendly. I used the same set up for my English Mastiffs. I had a male who split his tongue clean down the middle once so we have become really fence inquiring people. And I am so glad everyone is helping me and my little yard apes.

What do you guys think about WCMHR? When I bred dogs I always made sure they were AKC registered. Then the APR registry started taking anything and I really don't like that. Am I right in assuming WCMHR is like the APR of the dog world?

Thank you again

Fran

Ohio

Welcome from Nebraska! I can't answer your breeding question, but your horses are cute... I love your mare. How lucky you are to be able to rescue such a wonderful horse! Enjoy them.

Midnight star stables...I have fences like yours...but my wild mare (that was why the halter was on) caught the halter on the feeder and strangled...I guess you will have to experience the heart break yourself before you understand safety.

Good for you, rescuing Oliver as you did! It didn't take you long to find out that Minis are addictive did it?
laugh.gif

Please don't anyone believe that your haltered Minis are safe because there is nothing for them to catch their halters on. You'd be very surprised, I think, to learn how often a halter gets hung up on "nothing" and the horse dies because of it. I've seen the tiny little 'lump' on a fence rail, which a Morgan foal got her halter hung up on and hanged herself just the day before I visited the owner's farm....it was, I guess, the remains of a tree branch, but this lump that caught & held the halter was nothing more than a small, rounded bump on the rail. Honestly, NO ONE would have ever imagined a halter could get hung up on something like that. Then there's the mature gelding that tried to scratch his ear with his hind foot, and got his foot stuck in his halter--the owner found him dead, his foot still stuck in the halter but pulled right off of his leg, the ground all churned up where he had fought to get his leg free. I could give you several more examples of why our horses, even a couple of the really hard to catch mares, do not wear halters.

Latest posts

Back