New Yorkers, I need your help!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrselvr728

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Laurel, I usually come on here to look up useful info in the archives, but now I need some help as I am moving to New York (if this is in the wrong forum feel free to move it).

I’ve recently been accepted to Columbia University for my masters, and so will be moving into the city (Manhattan) in August. Obviously I can’t take my horse with me, and I need to find a place to board him. Ideally, if it could be not too far from the city, that would be great, but I want to do what’s best for my horse (by close to the city, I'm thinking about an hour away is close). I’m tentative about boarding because I have heard some horror stories, and would want to find someplace that will understand his needs and not change his feed without consulting me, etc. In other words, someplace trustworthy because I may not be able to drive out on a whim. I’ll probably only be able to visit him on weekends depending how busy I am with school. I really don’t want to drive out to find he hasn’t been being fed or watered or something worse all month. I was hoping some of you could help me find information on what places might be good, what places to stay away from, vets, farriers, all that. Currently I live in South Carolina, so I will be trying to find a place remotely, although I will be able to come up to New York in July to look for an apartment and will be able to visit farms at that point.

My horse is a small three-yr-old. We just went to our first show last weekend and he measured in at 27 ¾” untrimmed (my farrier missed his appointment beforehand
default_sad.png
). He’s due to be gelded, most likely in June, but definitely before I leave. He’s the only horse I have (not my only animal), and he lives on my property. I fly home for Christmas, so he has been boarded briefly at other farms while I have been away. He does get to interact with other horses, so please don’t think he’s completely isolated. He’s very loving and smart (has learned to open the gate and almost learned to open my back door!). He’s pretty laid back, doesn’t spook at much, is handled everyday, but can be a bit mischievous.

Anyway, feel free to post here, send me a pm, or email me at [email protected].

If I think of anything I’ve forgotten, I’ll post again or edit. I would really appreciate the help. If you have any tips too, I’d appreciate those!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back