New White Spots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindi-loo

Reaction score
Well Iv had my stallion for 19 years hes bay and hes always had black spots in his coat since the age of 2..he has stripped hooves mottled nose eyes etc etc ..This year however after shedding his winter woollies he has new spots.. white ones and not just a few theyr everywhere..face all 4 legs and his body..he also has white hairs going through his coat..would this be age related or just a colour change (at 20 years of age??)..Interested if anyone else has had this experience...I must say Im very happy about the new spots makes him even more gorgeous ..I now have a tri coloured pony lol

2013-06-11 19.52.23.jpg

2013-06-11 19.53.24.jpg

2013-06-11 19.53.38.jpg

WOW!! Linda. That really is unusual, especially at his age!! I have no suggestions for you, but will be interested in what others have to say.

Hope you have been enjoying the gorgeous weather that we WERE having - still we needed a little rain to help with the grass growth, just hoping the sun will return again before too long!
default_yes.gif

Hi Anna yes I certainly have been enjoying the sun..shame it doesn't last!!...I was really shocked to see his colouring this year hes never had white spots before only black ones..seems a bit strange for him to change his coat colour at his time of life lol but maybe hes showing off and hoping for another foal lol ..I do like the new look but very strange looking out and seeing white spots ..take care x

Was he ill or acting "off" at any time before the spots appeared? Late-in-life white spots like the ones pictured are sometimes a byproduct of fungal infections. If you do a Google image search for "horse fungal white" there are a few pics of big horses displaying this phenomenon. Sometimes the spots are large or patchy and sometimes they're smaller freckles like your guy.

Whatever the cause, I agree that he wears them well
default_wub.png
They are quite distinctive coupled with his dark spots!

These are "birdcatcher spots" and can come and go at will- they are quite unusual, and surprising!

This happened to my solid chestnut mare at 20 years old , I contacted the genetics expert, Sponenburg, with several before and after photos, and he said it looked most likely to be age related greying. Hers has now progressed to her mane having lots of white.

Oh WOW a few diff suggestions Thank You..hes not been ill or out of sorts and the spots just appeared as his winter wollies disappeared the same as his black spots ..theyr not visible in winter only in his summer coat..but as I said hes never had white spots before be interesting to see if they disappear or multiply
default_whistling.gif

Hes a funny boy his expression says it all lol ..he doesn't have any white spots on his face in this picture last summer he has lots this year

283945_2120390463826_4383270_n.jpg

I might be mistaken, but looking at that muzzle pic, he looks to have appy mottling on his muzzle, so the body spots could be appy related, but I don't know enough about appy to be certain.

And, he is quite expressive.

Maybe it’s the weather; maybe it’s global warming; maybe they hang out and read the Farmer’s Almanac and adjust accordingly...
default_new_let_it_all_out.gif

Our mare is much younger; she has appaloosa background (her daddy was a full leopard; her mum was some sort of dark color appaloosa with white spots generously sprinkled hither and thither.) The first year we had her she was dark (much darker than your boy.) In the sun you could see some dappling, but not much white. And she had the striped hooves and white sclera on the eyes.

This year, she shed out and exhibited tons of little white spots all over her body; mostly on her back, flanks, and butt. And she has lots more white hairs in her mane and tail. Either we’re wearing her out or it must be the weather!
default_thumbup.gif

Definitely appy and appy spots. I have a snowflake appy mare that is 14 and still gets more snowflakes just like you pictured every year. She apparently colored out older than some as I got her when she was already 9yrs and just starting to really get snowflakes after that.

Thank You.. I think hes gorgeous obviously lol
default_wub.png
I love him with or without spots..just to give you a few more details hes always had stripped hooves mottled nose eyes and all the bits.. hes starting to get white hairs through his mane and tail too, just a few but they are very obvious with them being amongst the black.. a bit like mine really..how very exciting ..do you think they will multiply even at his age ??

Look--- The horse is an Appaloosa. They have spots. Betcha if you shave him there will be all sorts of fun stuff to look at. He's as cute as can be!

Linda has an Appy, Linda has an Appy, Linda has an Appy!!! I think its wonderful and a lovely surprise...how about some full body shots of your wee one...Linda has an Appy!!!

Yes, the horse has Appy basics. No these are not Appy spots. My 11 year old, who has an Appy dad, has a few of these birdcatcher spots this year for the first time. They are different from Appy spots in that they are very round, even and appear almost over night. They are not connected with Appy, however, and appear on horses that have no Appy whatsoever , take a look at this:

http://www.whitehorseproductions.com/images/horsecolor/oddities/birdcatcher_spots_arab1.jpg

This is an Arab, no Appy in the breed.

If he is Appy then those are snowflakes- my mare gets them- and she changes every year, lol. He just wanted to add something new to his black spots and Appy coloring!
default_smile.png
She is the chestnut in my avatar and you can see that year she was absolutely covered in them.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's an appaloosa with appaloosa characteristics, and I believe totally, that he is getting his snowflakes. This is a very common occurence in appaloosa "solids", and it can take years and years for them to make an appearance, and from now on, I believe that you will see him color out more and more each year! You're going to have a new horse every year -- all you'll have to do is clip!! Congratulations!!

Last edited:
Snowflakes, which are just a form of Varnish and transient, are rarely as symmetrical as those, you can ignore the facts as much as you want, but, just because he has a few Appy characteristics it does not mean he cannot have Birdcatcher spots- just as he actually does.

That is my last word on this thread, there seems little point in talking to closed minds!

I really don't mind what they are..I will be looking forward to seeing what next year has to bring or maybe not as the case may seem lol.. thank you all for your comments anyway.. certainly a very nice surprise for me
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back