New West Nile Shot rejection/side effects!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could not pay me a million bucks to ever give that shot again.

A few years ago the vet came and gave it.....just the West Nile, by Fort Dodge, nothing else and within 2 hours, every horse on the place, big and small were on the ground. Some were shaking, I had a colic, I had swelled up legs, staggers........you name it. Fort Dodge paid to clean up that mess. I hate that company with a passion. Merial is supposed to be better but I'm not giving that shot again.

You need to be reporting this to the company and keep every single thing documented and do take pictures.

The problem with all vaccines is that some horses have a greater reaction to the adjuvent in the vaccine than other horses. Some brands of vaccines have 'smoother' adjuvents than others.

I will be starting West Nile vaccinations here this week. Some horses will be getting Merial Recombitek and others will be getting Prevenile. I'm hoping for no adverse reactions. I'm not expecting any.

It sounds like you used the Prevenile? Is that correct? I'm sorry your horse is having a reaction. I hope she comes along ok.

I just really don't like giving vaccinations! In my opinion we see way more severe reactions to vaccines in miniature horses than we do in full size horses. After all, those vaccines are developed using full size horses in the tests! We're talking 800-1000 pounds difference in the animals!

I will be using Prevenile again this year. I gave it to all last year including foals starting at 5 months with no reactions, but that doesn't mean I won't get a reaction this year!

I think some of our worst reactions have come from vaccines containing tetanus and the flu/rhino combination.

I don't like vaccinating, but NOT vaccinating isn't an option either! I just try to space each vaccination out as far as I can from any other one and I NEVER give more than one at a time! (there are no miniature horse courses taught in vet school)

Charlotte

Becky this is what I found

Gentamicin (an antibotic) is in the rabies shot used as a preservative.

I wonder if some horses have a reaction to this and not the rabies vaccine.

I also wonder if other types of antibotics are used as preservatives in other shots?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is some reading for WNV. I like the vet that runs this holistic forum. I like that she has a nice balanced view of vaccinations. I am thinking of ordering her e-book. Has anyone read it?

http://www.holistichorsekeeping.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=227

Emma

That was very interesting reading........and touches on some questions I've had for a long time regarding "over vaccinating" horses. I've heard from other sources about "immunity boosters" and would be curious to know what people have used and what their opinions are.

Latest posts

Back