New to this Forum and minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marles

Reaction score
Hello,

Let me first apologize if this goes a little long as I can be very talkative.

I just recently bought my son a mini after loving the one we leased at our previous barn which gave my son purpose and confidence which is something he so desperately needed. My daughter has a full size Appaloosa but this is our first mini all to ourselves. When we got him he was on 3 cups of sweet feed and are now just feeding hay and grain supplements. He was a bit full of himself with all that sugar
default_smile.png
He is absolutely adorable and my son just loves him. We found a trainer that has experience with full size horses (english/western) as well as minis and driving. We hope to start him in carts shortly but not till the fall. So far between our instructor and my sister who owns/shows 6 minis we have done pretty well for advice but I still have lots of questions. I also joined so my son would have a community of people that have the same interest.

Marley is 4 years old and can be pushy at times but we are working through that. When we bought him he had a thick beautiful mane, however, he has since rubbed alot of it off
default_sad.png
We are fixing the fence problem since he sticks his head through the slats to get grass and his buddy in the paddock next to him seems to think its fun to chew on Marley's mane
default_sad.png
I hate to take his friend away since they groom eachother daily, but his mane looks awful. What can I do to get his mane to grow back full again? Do I just wait? My son will have his very first mini show on August 4th and I am worried that the mane will cause him to not place well. Last thing I want to do is put him behind the 8 ball before he even starts.

Any advice you can give as far as grooming ideas, how to get him ok with a hose, growing his mane and finding toys to to keep his mind occupied during the day is greatly appreciated
default_smile.png

I look forward to reading more on these forums and having my son reach out as well and ask his questions.

Thank you!

Congratulations to you and your son.

I don't show so I can't help you there.

Just wanted to welcome you to the group

Hello! Congrats on your new little guy.

How old is your son? If showing in Youth classes locally, judges can be more lenient on manes, but its a good lesson for your son to go out and do his best. And start building that relationship with the horse and see what needs to be worked on.

As to the mane, time is truly the only thing that will help. Things like MTG may help prevent additional breakage. But fixing the fence will be the biggest help. I doubt his buddy is doing as much damage as the fence is.

Thank you. I am learning so much just reading other posts!!

My son is 16 and will be entering in the Special Needs classes this first show but then maybe try the 13-18 classes. If you think Marley's buddy isn't doing as much damage, maybe I could leave that part of the fence open. He has his own paddock alone so I hate to take away his friend
default_sad.png
I have already added extra boards to one side of the fence but with all the rain I haven't had a chance to do the other side. My son, Andrew, is very excited for his first show. The AMHR shows are so far away for us. Can't seem to find anything close (live in MA). We are finding mini shows or shows with mini classes, but none that are specific to AMHR. Marley is 35.5". I am signing him up for a 4H club that is close by called Mini Whinnies. After many years he is finally coming out of his shell and I attribute it to these wonderful little four-legged friends!!

If you can find someone to help your son with Showmanship, I think that would be a good place to begin for showing. Showmanship is a great place to start with working with the horse, presenting oneself in a positive way, and generally making a good working bond with the horse. I had no idea about showmanship when I got into horses and feel I missed out on an important first step. Showmanship will also be helpful when he begins driving.

Grooming is very important for good looking coat, mane and tail, and that is a good activity for your son and his horse. The hose is just one of those things the horse has to learn to accept. None of them like it at first, but most become resigned to it fairly easily. If he has to be bathed, then he has to be bathed! Period. With the weather heating up, he might even enjoy it once he knows it won't kill him.

Working with him daily, going for walks, simple ground excercises, teaching tricks--that may be all the "toys" he needs to keep his mind busy. He might enjoy a Jolly Ball.

I think your new feeding program sounds good.

Sugar is probably not the problem, but rather being a little spoiled. Teaching him respect will help, and this will give your son confidence also. I'm sure your trainer will be your good guide!

Good luck. August is just around the corner...

You might try searching Special Needs, or even starting a topic. There are many members who take advantage of this program and if you get their attention, you might get lots of specific advice.

Welcome to the board. Sounds like your son is going to have lots of fun.

Exercise will help keep that little guy from being a brat. Once he's in driving training, that will be the best thing for him to get his mind straight and focused.

You can try spraying Listerene on his mane and maybe his buddy won't want to eat it once he gets the taste of it. Or, he'll have very good breath.

Welcome and good luck

I'd like to welcome you, your son and Marley to Lil Beginnings! Glad to have you here! I hope to see you post often and share photos when you can. The people here are awesome!

Is Marley a gelding?

default_saludando.gif

Welcome to you and your son Andrew!! You will love it here
default_yes.gif
everyone is so nice and very helpful when you have a question or issue with your mini! One thing we all love here are PICTURES, so please post some of Marley!! Horses and animals in general are wonderful for children with special needs. Sometimes a pet can reach a child before a human can. I taught in special ed for a number of years. Marley sounds wonderful for your son!! I hope you can find some more shows and 4H is a great club for Andrew to join! Hope you enjoy it here!!

Hello, and welcome from Maryland. We let a special needs girl show one of our geldings two years ago. At first she only went in the PMC classes, but soon her confidence was built up so well that when we took her Williamston, NC she showed with the youth, and although she didn't place high she was so excited and proud of herself.

Welcome from CT!! Where in MA are you? We are only 3 miles from the MA border near Agawam/West Springfield and there are OPEN shows in this area with mini classes. We took six of our 4-Hers to one of the shows on June 2, and we have a 16 year special needs member who showed in the trail class and did well. Is Mini Whinnies Linda Murray's Club? That will be a great place for you and your son! Also check out the 4-H section on our website for lots of pointers.

About the mane: One of our minis did that and we put a neck sweat on him to prevent him from rubbing more mane off. Not a wrap, but one of the lined ones that can be worn most of the time (take it off and let the neck air out) that covers the whole neck. It had three pieces of velcro to hold it on and it did stay on and protect the mane. Just be sure to use the lined kind; plain neoprene can burn.

Thank you all for the wonderful welcome! The mane suggestions and responses has put me at ease. My sister told me that she slipped once shaving the bridle path and zipped off her mini's forelock and she still placed. I was surprised since she takes her minis to Worlds. I will have to post pics (once I figure out how) because Marley has such an endearing face. He "looks" sweet and innocent, but what does one expect from a 4 year old. Andrew and Marley's first show will be July 20th at a regular open horse show that doesn't have mini classes but they are letting him show Marley in the halter and showmanship class. They said once all classes are complete, he could take Marley through the trail class and see how he does.

Targetsmom -- we live south of Worcester and are probably only 20mins from CT.....10mins from 395. I found a mini horse show in Foster, RI on August 4th for all minis under 38". We are going
default_smile.png
Since my son is still recovering from surgery, he will not have long to practice with Marley before the shows which is why the trainer and myself have been working so hard. He hasn't been able to work with him since April 23rd. Very much looking forward to starting 4H in July and yes, I believe that is her name. Andrew is nervous but that is understandable with all he has been through. I will go with him for the first couple times of course!

Thank you again to all the replies. I'm sure I will be asking many more questions and look forward to reading everyone's posts!!

Welcome to the world of Minis from sunny Arizona!

Latest posts

Back