new to the forum

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone! My name is kathy and this is my first attempt at a forum. I have bought 2 minis they are lilly and red baby girl. They are not reg. But so sweet. I live in michigan, i lived in oregon (in the SE area) for the last 20 yrs. When i came to michigan (family reasons) i thought mini horses why not, been around ranch horses last 20 yrs. Little did i know the minis i bought were not in the best of health. They are 36 and 37 in. 6 and 7 yrs.old. they are now healthy and will follow me anywhere. Having horses in oregon and michigan are way different. The first time i took them to the vet. my vet. freaked out when she seen them in the back of my pick up. A ranger with racks on. I told her that i'vealways moved goats, sheep, pigs and calves that way. Boy was she suprised when i backed up to a hill and unloaded. Anyway thats alittle about me. But i do have a question, my red baby girl has a real heavy mane and it is pulling her neck mussel over. I really would like her to have a mane. But if i have to shave it to keep her healthy then thats what i will do. Thank you all in advance. And forgive all the spelling errors. Lol

Welcome to the mini world!!! Have fun with them! On the heavy mane, you can thin it out or shave off some of the mane. Did you ask the vet about it? Just thinking sometimes when they have a heavy crest there are weight issues or maybe thyroid etc, Enjoy them!!!

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

My minis were in pretty bad shape when i got them. My red was very thin. She is now at a good weight but i would like her to be heavier for the winter. The last time she saw the vet her mane was not very long. Maybe a couple inches. There were no problems then. I got them in june and they both had to have their teeth floated and over 150 lbs under weight. Not to mention they never had any shots. My red baby girl had NO interaction with humans unless they wanted to catch lilly then they would chase her and dive on the heavy lead rope. Then drag her over where they could get lilly. Anyway should i thin the mane from the underside? And wish me luck if thats what i should do. LMBO

Welcome from Kentucky!

You could shave off some mane from the underside, especially if it's very thick and heavy. It'll grow back if that wasn't the problem. LOL!

Or you could wait to see if more weight and conditioning will help her neck fill in, that might help the crest/mane stand up.

Sometimes when a horse was very overweight at one time, then loose a lot of weight, they get a "broken crest". It's almost impossible to correct, but unless you're showing, it's nothing more than a cosmetic thing.

Good luck with your girls and have fun!

PS, you're too late for this years Secret Santa :-( Please stay on LB and try again next year! REO (Robin) starts the festivities in October.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the santa and card info. Looking forward to next year. My minis were very under weight. I was very careful with their feeding so they did'nt gain weight to fast. I was in close contact with their vet. No showing for these girls. They are not regesterd. But my final goal for red baby girl is to drive. Lilly will not be able to do anything because her last owner( or someone ) has caused nerve damage to her hind leg. But thats alright she is a sweetheart! Thanks for the info. Not sure how im going to deal with this problem, if its not going to hurt her i will see how things go as her mane gets longer. If it starts to pull down to much i will cut it.

Nice to meet you
default_smile.png
. And i shave the underside of my friends minis cause she likes the big horse hunter look. But my girls are all natural. It seems to work for her she loves it.
default_smile.png

You could easily pull/thin it shorter. I always found that shaving from the underside made the mane grow back thicker on the minis and ponies. In fact, I specifically do that when I want them to grow a thicker mane!

You can pull/shorten/thin in stages. Our stallion went from this:

118c.jpg

to this (same day)

689b.jpg

to this:

63fc.jpg

With his mane pulled this way, he was shown at local, open shows as a hunter pony. I never shaved or clipped his mane - it would have come in thicker and he had a very thick crest. As he aged about 18 I think, he did develop some fall over. He had health issues and when he went into a decline w/ no quality of life, we let him cross the rainbow bridge at 20 yrs of age in 2012.

Im really sorry about your horse AJ. He was beautiful. I really like the long mane. But that pulling is something i'll think about. Do you know if theres a way i could split the mane and have half on the other side? Would that help? Her mane is not very long, about 8 in.

Welcome Kathy!!!

I got you into the card exchange
default_smile.png
I hope you'll get in on the santa fun next year!

We may be having a fun game here in Dec. Stay tuned!

Welcome from Virginia! You've found the best online resource for miniature horse information and discussion
default_smile.png

Welcome from Wales in the UK - I think your two little ones are very lucky to have found you. Good luck and have fun with them!

Latest posts

Back