New to the Forum - QUESTIONS!QUESTIONS!QUESTIONS!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nnadams

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

First of all, let me just say I am very happy
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
to be here! I have been feeding off you guys for months! Since we got our first miniature horse last year, I have had so many questions. I found this forum and had tried to register several times with no success. I have been just searching previous topics to find my answers and advice. Yesterday, I finally emailed an administrator who replied immediately and validated my account. I guess I should have done that long ago :DOH!

We own 11 miniature horses plus the 3 new foals we have had this Spring. Some of the breeders we have purchased from post here. Hi kaykay! Hi faithfarm! So some of you might know some history to a few of my horses that I don't
default_wink.png

My question(s) of the day is this -

Our first foal was born looking like a chestnut pinto - Sire: Sorrel Pinto, Dam: Dark Bay

We clipped him and he looked very light silvery, beige and white with no red at all except where we did not clip him as close around the eyes and muzzle.

Second foal was born looking black at first. After she dried off, her mane and tail were black, the top of her back was black and faded to a charcoal gray and then a light silvery gray toward her underbelly. Sire: Black, Dam: Sorrel. We clipped her and now she is very dark brown with no red tint, black mane & tail, black dorsal stripe.

Third foal was born looking like another chestnut or sorrel pinto. Sire: Silver Bay Pinto, Dam: Red Roan Pinto. I clipped her yesterday and now she looks dark silvery beige or suede and white.

What color do you label your foals? The color they are born with, after clipping, or what finally grows back? This is all very fascinating, but very confusing! I have found sites with color coat descriptions, but none that answered this specific question.

Sorry for the length of this post!
default_blush.png

Welcome to the forum from NC!

I register my foals as the color I hope they mature to be. Sometimes it is hard and tricky
default_biggrin.png

Welcome from Thornville, Ohio!

Can you stick a few pictures on here so people can see?

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I figured out how to post pictures, but is there a way to resize them? They are huge, but not huge from the website they are posted on. What do I do?

You register them the color they will be at maturity.

The people on this forum can help you if you get stuck on a newborns coat color.

Welcome to the forum!

Pinto colt before clipping:

p38286152.jpg

Pinto colt after clipping:

p77626080.jpg

This filly looked charcoal gray at birth with black mane and tail. After we clipped her, she just looks very dark brown with a black dorsal stripe (we did not clip around her muzzle or legs)

92700_1.jpg

This filly was born a sorrel pinto and this is what she looked like after I clipped her yesterday (she's napping)

92072_1.jpg

what do I register them as?

Hi Natalie!

So good to see you!! Is that Diamonds foal at the bottom?? Shes definately sorrell pinto. The second one I believe is black. The first one is also sorrell pinto. Those first clips take the color off but it comes back as the hair grows back in.

How is the gang doing??

Thank you so much Kay for answering my questions! Yes, that is Diamond's filly. I am glad you say she is a sorrell pinto because my daugher wants to name her Sorrelli! That works! Now, about the filly you say is black, her coat is not black, just her mane, tail & dorsal stripe. Her coat is a very dark suede brown. Is she still a true black?

Sorry can't help with the color questions. But WELCOME from NE KY!
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back