New to the board and to Miniature Horses too!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMiniGal

Reaction score
I just wanted to stop in and say "Hi". I am new to the board and to mini's and actually to horses, in general. I read up on Miniature ones and loved what I read, and figured they were a good way for an older newbie (in my 40's) to finally have a horse of her own. So on March 9, I bought an almost 2 yr. old mare. She is super sweet. Seems to love people, haven't seen her afraid of anyone and just comes walking up to you for face scratches and haltering. She know's back up, while on a lead, and we are working on walking/leading and not getting in front of or too far behind or pushing into my side. Since we live in the city limits, we can't have horses here, so I have her boarded at an awesome facility, where she is able to be with other horses. It is a bit far away, and most weeks I can get there around 3-4 times a week, though. I am working on learning Natural Horsemanship with the ranch owner/trainer there. Eventually, the plan is to cart train her, just for pleasure. They have a round pen, and an arena. I've been in the round pen with her, for a "moving your feet" lesson, not on a lunge line. Just wanted her to walk in the direction I wanted her to, is all we really did. We are just taking it a bit at a time, keeping lessons short and sweet and not everytime I see her. So there are a lot of days, that I just go and sit and read a book near her, and just love on her and groom her. She loves to be brushed. I will be initiating my husband to help me train her. He now wants one of his own, and if we can afford to have another one, we may do that, in the future, but for now, my little girl will be it. Her name is Halo, and she is a bay...reddish brown, with black mane, tail and points, and is around 32" tall. Anyway, I've been reading around the board, and thought this is the place to be, with other mini lovers! I know I am going to learn a lot.

Welcome! Cograts on your mare.
default_smile.png

Welcome from CT. Your mare is very pretty! There is a lot of information on minis on our website (link below) written for our 4-Hers but should be useful for anyone new to minis. We update it periodically.

How cool is that!! I got my first horse when I was 53 years old. I love the little guy to bits and it is so fun driving around the neighborhood and learning horsey things:)

Have fun!

Thank you for the warm welcome and compliments on her. That picture was taken last August, she is still a furry thing right now..shedding like crazy. I can't wait to see her all sleeked out. Here are a couple more of her...another one back from August and then one I took about 2 days ago, still a furry little gal, but I think she has shed out about halfway though. I was surprised at how different they look all sleeked out, compared to furry...I mean, of course, furry is going to look different but their coloring is a bit different too.

halospring2013.jpg

haloaug201295010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if it's the lighting in the photos but in the "shedded out" one she looks sort of dapple-y. ...very pretty.

Watch out for the husband... Mine wanted a dog and was leery of horses. Now he's their best friend and wants more. It appears that your husband took 20 days to get there. You're in trouble now!!
default_torch.gif

Welcome from Alaska

My husband is the same way, he is always brining up how a foal would be good

, " why don't we breed her so we can get two"

I keep telling him if later we want another I will just find one.

I don't want to breed. I don't want the stress and worry for a whole year. Lol

Your little girl I beutiful by the way.

Beautiful little mare you have! Welcome to the forum, I'm new here too, and everyone here is super helpful and nice. You're gonna learn a lot of stuff to help you along the way on this forum.

Welcome and just a heads up you can't own just one! I started with two and now have seven!

Welcome to the board and the wonderful world of miniature horses! Like you, I am in my 40's and just started my horse ownership journey just four years ago (this week!).

I wish you many years of joy and fun with your beautiful girl!

LOL It would be fun to have two, that is for sure, but I really had to make sure our budget to could afford just one! If we weren't having to board, then may be. I am very anxious to see her shed out, so I can see her coloring up close and not just from a picture. It would be neat to have her have some dapple in her. I do sort of see, when I am brushing her, some greyish brown at the base, in certain places. Here is another pic, that was taken before I got her, and there is that greyish look too. You may notice, that some of the picture are labeled "Haylo", that is the spelling when I got her. I changed it to the normal spelling, as I liked it better. I at first thought about changing her name, but she is so sweet, that "Halo" really fits her and she sort of knows her name. So I decided to keep it for her.

hayloaug201295002.jpg

So glad to hear, I'm not the only one, in my 40's, to just be getting into horses and mini ones. Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone. After putting up her pictures, all together like this and then seeing her in person, with her coloring, she almost looks like she changes color with a different angle. Of course, I think ones taken outside, will show her true color.

I'm glad to have you here Lisa! Welcome to Lil Beginnings to you and Halo!
default_saludando.gif

Thank you, REO, I'm really enjoying it here and feel like I have learned so much already.

welcome from Southern Maryland! OMG! Be careful minis are like potatoe chips you can't seem to stop at just one!

We had arabs and paints until I was diagnosed with arthritis in my 40's, had to stop breeding them, and then in my 50's had to stop riding when I was also diagnosed with a heart problem. Any way, can't live without horses got two minis, now we have way too many! But they keep us going, laughing and loving them. The smell the touch, the love! You won't regret having them in your life.

Welcome to the forum from NJ

Your mare is very pretty. They do change so much winter to summer since minis often really get a thick winter coat

have a great time with your mare. miniatures are such a joy

They do seem some how to multiply we started with 2 and now have 10

we have had minis since 2003. before that we boarded and owned full size horses

we now breed for a few foals a year... most years

I am 60 and my husband is 69 and miniatures are so nice

on the older body ...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes...now I worry about how we are going to afford another one. LOL I am sure if and when the time is right, we will make it work. hahaha

Thank you, it will be neat if she does have some dappling. I can't wait to see her shed out.

Back