New to showing Miniatures- Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsenut50

Reaction score
Stupid question... What is the difference between model class and regular halter? Description please. I have shown Paints in western halter for years and have now started to show with my new mini stallion. Wanting to enter a HAME show in my area I came across Model stallions and had no idea what it was so I didn't enter in it, just regular stallion halter over. Next question and an embarassing one, stallion owners how do you keep your stallions from dropping and getting excited IN a class! My boy was in mare heaven (mixed class) and was showing it to the world and worse, the judge! I have shown mares forever and showing a stallion is definately a new venture for me. Thanks for all help that is given.
default_smile.png

Hi there!

In the normal open halter class, you show your horse by walking to, then trotting away from the judge. Then you go line up, nose to tail, setting your horse up squarely and show again as the judges walk around the class. In model, there is no walking to and trotting away. All entries just line up, set up and show. In model, only standing conformation is judged, not movement.

I hope that is understandable the way I explained it. Also, if you meet the definition, you can show in amateur!

For not dropping, I like a product called Mineral Ice. Buy it at Walmart. Gently apply some around the "area" and when he goes to drop, it causes a very cold sensation and he will immediately bring it back up. Others may have other solutions.

Good luck at the show! The HAME club is full of very nice people.

default_saludando.gif
Not stupid question at all we all got to learn some where

I use to own big horses and show big horses and minis i think are way harder

thay should be all clipped wearing a show halters and theres some pretty ones out there

thay have to be standing square and there heads strech out with out them moving

so a mini that has been trained is much easyer...

AS for stallions put some vicks vapure rub up there nose works a treat

I hope that helps a little bit

Age and training (as with most things) are key. The Vicks works but it also may keep them from "working for the treat" if you use one. I've never tried the cold stuff but it sounds interesting.

I work mine at home around mares if possible and keep correcting him to be quiet, "put it away" ( and a finger inserted in that area where a bit fits between the teeth and pushed into the roof of his mouth will cause him to draw up). Mine got to the point where in the first year I could walk him past mares and a quick tug on the chain quieted him.

I have never had to use Vicks or Mineral Ice, but do rely on TRAINING.

I usually get youngsters and show them as yearlings and two year olds, so they learn their manners from the start. It can be harder if you buy an older stallion that has never been taught his company manners, but even most of them can be taught how to behave in public.

When I'm working with one of the stallions, I expect them to mind their manners even here at home. I do drive and so I expect to be able to drive a stallion down the fence line without having him pay any attention to the mares on the other side. He will be aware that they are there, but he has to keep his attention on me and what we're working on, not on them. Same is true for halter work. If I've got him haltered & am working with him, whether I'm brushing him, leading him, or practicing his show ring pose, he's expected to keep "it" put away and keep his attention on me. There is to be no gawking at the girls, no talking to them, and no goofing around showing off or acting silly. That then carries over into the show ring.

Thank you all for your replies. I am grateful. Will try your suggestions and hopefully get to show this weekend at the HAME show. My ride since I don't have a trailer may have backed out. Really bummed since I have prepaid for the show and my have to forfeit the money and not go.
default_sad.png
Next on my neverending list of things to get... horse trailer. Thanks once more. I'm sure that I'll have a few more questions in the future.

Latest posts

Back