new to showing ASPC s

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norah

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to showing ASPC ponies so i will have a lot of questions . I currently have a Michigan bred pony that I like very much , she has a great disposition and last year i clipped her without being tied : ) she is very calm which is great for me . I will be getting another this week ...actually helping a friend out as he has too many and I have the space for more ... she is also a Michigan , but a modern. Her action is more upward then the other . When I show her can I braid the ribbon in her forelock and mane ? if so does it matter how many colore and what color I use ?

also ...this mare has had a rough start in life ...I am pretty sure that is over for her as I will probably let her stay forever . She is skittish , not trusting , and came to us very very thin. She has gained a lot of weight but still needs more with some muscle build up. I would like to enhance her trot , but without use of mechanical aids ... i have a large hill in the pasture that she will have to wait till spring to climb. Other then that hill , is there anything else I can do to encourage that fantastic trot that is somewhere in there waiting to get out ? ground poles ? how many and how far ? lunging over ground poles ? all of this will wait till spring as we are knee deep in snow. Would love some suggestions . Id like to "wow" them at the show in spring.

Welcome to showing ponies, I hope you have fun.

The Michigan's line of ponies was started by my Grandfather Dr Sam Taylor in 1945, my Father Dr Tom Taylor has continued with the the ponies and my Sister Abbie Smith and I (Dr Matt Taylor) will likely continue on with them. I'm glad you're pleased with your Michigan pony.

We usually start ponies out by attaching either small chains (sometimes even pastic) or straps to their ankles and lunge them, the 'bracelets' can be worn in the stall so the pony can kind of work itself. My understanding is that some of these practices are not allowed in some European countries. If that's true for you, then I would encourage you to work on her head set. Ponies cannot trot high if the chin is in the way. Once they get their head up then they can trot higher.

Dr Taylor

Hi , thank you for the idea ...however they would put me in jail if i did this here ... Michigans Georga Peach will be with me next week ... She has had a rough start ...something about being shipped around a lot ...any chance you could fill in some of the missing details for me ? she has Heartbreakers head that i know some people dont like ...but there is something in her eye , and manners that makes me want to get to know her and help her . I think she will be beautiful with a little polish , and love . I need to learn more about the" head set " do you reccommend any books ? there is not a trainer in the area that can help me or that knows about these horses.

default_rolleyes.gif

By the way Naturally Sweet is just wonderful !!! I know Georgia will be happy seeing her again. Lets keep in touch
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer you question on the braids, they are placed in the forelock and the mane, using 2 colors mostly, but there is no set rule on that. Congrats on your new additions.

Latest posts

Back