New to Minis!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopSpout

Reaction score
Hello,

I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Tracy and I'm a long time lurker here. I grew up riding full-sized horses and still do on occasion, but I have fallen in love with minis! I'm looking for a farm in central Iowa that does boarding and gives handling/driving lessons. Is there such a thing around here? I don't know how many on here are from Iowa but I live just south of Des Moines.

I would love to have my own mini some day and I have the space for it but I would like some guidance first. I would also be interested in showing because I did that a lot growing up and I miss it!
default_yes.gif
More than anything though I just want to meet some like-minded people and make some new friends since I just moved here from Illinois.

So far I have found this board to be a wealth of information! I have found some farms in Iowa that breed and train minis but they don't seem to cater to amateur clients (or at least they don't mention it on their websites).

Thanks for any advice!
default_smile.png

Welcome to the board!

Go to this farm's web site and give them an email. They may be able to help you.

Loess Hills

www.loesshillsmini.com/

Charlotte

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum from Connecticut! Can't help in person but I do have some suggestions. If you are thinking of driving your future mini, don't rule out your local driving clubs as sources of information and help. Also, if you have shown big horses (or even if you haven't) I urge you to consider a pinto registered mini when you get to that point. Pinto minis and big horses are shown at the same shows. They are a lot of fun, family oriented, and the Pinto Association is just starting a new program where you can win money for points you win at local shows. And of course, pinto minis can also be shown at AMHA and AMHR shows if they are double or triple registered.

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Iowan
biggrin.gif
! I live about an hr west of Cedar Rapids and my parents live about 30 min. north of CR but we would have no problem with you visiting and sharing our little bit of knowledge!
yes.gif

Hi. I am from Iowa and you might be interested in this training/boarding facility that gives lessons in dressage and driving. They also give clinics in carriage driving including miniatures and sponsor CDE events and dressage. I have friends who have gone there for the clinics and find it very helpful.

http://www.threegfarms.com/ Three G Farms is an equine facility located three miles northeast of Ames, Iowa.

515-450-1041 or 515-450-1046

Email:[email protected]

Hello from Southern Illinois. I just wanted to tell you not to rule out the farms that do not mention helping amateurs on their websites. Many of us don't mention that, but would gladly help you learn about these little ones. Just contact them and ask. You can't get a 'yes we can help' unless you ask.

Angie

Thanks to you all for your responses and those that responded to me by PM. You have given me a wealth of information to go over!
default_smile.png
And sorry for my delay in respond, I literally just moved and it's been crazy!

I'm going to start calling around and hopefully I can find something that will work. You all are so nice and welcoming, I hope to one day be a part of the mini family here.
default_wub.png

Tracy

Latest posts

Back