New to mini's, help appreciated with showing.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder's Mom

Reaction score
Hello,

I am fairly new to mini's and showing them; I have always shown big horses. We have a now 4 yr old mini stud, he is a fun little horse. I have taken him to 3 shows just for fun and to get him used to everything. I was wondering if it is OK to show in a western show halter? I have always shown in either a bridle or western halter on my bigs horses. The mini show halters just seem odd to me. We will be just doing local open shows that have mini classes.

Any help would be great!

This is him last year being a twit, this was with my friend showing him,. We have fortunately worked out of this
default_yes.gif

Monster.JPG

Yes, you may show in a western show halter, but you may also try this with the arab type show halter, instead of the chain under the chin causing pressure, which some resist, hook it to the chain, so it is loose and not exerting so much pressure, causing the reation. We have a gelding that we must do this with or he will stop.

You could try this type of halter which may offer a bit more control because the noseband is more "solid." I would also recommend practicing more to get the knots out of is performance-- the more shows and experience he gets the more calm he should become.

5Ne5K45M33Ld3M93Hfc3tda229febbdb611f0.jpg

Yes, you can use a western style halter (as long as there are no rules against it) but I would suggest that you keep your attire consistent with the halter. For example, a western style halter would look fine with the attire shown in the photo above, but would not look so good with a saddle seat suit. For a compromise, you could us a plain leather halter (no silver), which would be appropriate with almost any attire. It is what is required in Pinto Association classes for English Showmanship and hunter classes. Also, if you are doing any performance classes, a plain leather or nylon halter is more appropriate than the Arab style.

Thank you all for the information. I think for the first few shows we will use a western halter. Our first show is at the end of this month and will feel more comfortable using the western style.

We have been really working on standing square and quiet. His walk at home is great and he knows most voice commands. We do have a lot of commotion where he is stabled so I am hoping that the shows this year will be no big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and he rear was mid trot and the photographer happened to get it perfect. He came right down and continued on like nothing happened.

I have a similar photo of our gelding being a twit at OUR first show several years ago. I hope you will look back on your photo in the future with fond memories and a reminder of how far you have come, as we do with ours!

My gelding decided to lay down in his first showmanship class and roll so don't feel bad!

My gelding decided to lay down in his first showmanship class and roll so don't feel bad!
Don't know if that's any worse than my mare falling asleep at Nationals in her first showmanship class. The class was so big and so long and it was in the afternoon when she likes to sleep. By the time they got around to us, I started walking and realized too late that she was alseep on her feet and started several paces behind me.

hahaha! These stories are hilarious! I am sure we will have plenty to add to them as we start shows this year :).

Welcome and have fun! He's a lovely boy!

I'll add my goofy "first show" stories: I didn't know we should be wearing long-sleeve shirts, so both my daughter and I were wearing 3/4 length instead. Then, during our first class, I had us both walking with the horses on the wrong side. Talk about embarrassing! And my one girl whinnied herself silly any time we entered a class that her buddy didn't join us. And man was she ever LOUD!

Latest posts

Back