New to mini...need advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgallie

Reaction score
I live in Oklahoma and after having to put my Peruvian Paso of 29yrs down last summer I knew I couldn't stand an empty pasture. I fell in love with a pic on a web site and was off on an adventure and Purchased a mini mare and her 7mo old mule colt. I knew they had been in pasture and pretty much unattended but had no idea what a wild child that mule was. 2 mo later have still not got my hands on the mule. She won't even come close when I am messing with mom. I have had the mule in the round pen but still no luck gaining her trust. Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Igallie :)

It may be time to consider weaning the colt from his mum. Id also really recommend you "geld" the colt. This will give him a chance to settle down a bit.

It can be really hard when you buy something that has never had any handling other than that from his mum.

Good luck, hopefully others will have some info to help you on here.

Mules are smart but slow to trust. After you wean and geld him just spend time bonding with him. Sit near him, talk, give treats and such. You can't rush a mule. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back