New to horses-- help me understand my mini!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calico

Reaction score
I've just acquired my first horse, a 2 year old mini gelding. He's a very cute little guy and a sweet horse, but I'm quickly finding out just how little I know! Situations in real life aren't just like they are in the books or in internet articles. I really want to do my best for this horse. I want to make sure I don't unknowingly encourage bad habits, and also that I don't punish friendly behavior because I've misinterpreted it. I was told that the horse is very easygoing, submissive, and often handled by children, so for now I'm going to assume that any issues that arise are my fault.

My first issue is that I'm having trouble with grooming him. Particularly, his feet. He's usually pretty good with picking up his feet. He usually picks his feet up fairly readily, and doesn't try to yank the hoof back. But he does shift and try to move away from me, until he starts to lose his balance and I give him the foot back. What should I be doing in that situation?

He also doesn't like to sit still while I groom him. He swings his butt away from me so I have to keep following him, until he ends up squished between me and the wall. If I try to groom him while he's not tied (like if I'm just trying to do a quick brush-over to get the worst of the dust off), he'll usually sit for a minute and let me partially curry one side, then he'll turn so he's facing me. If I try to move to his side to continue grooming, he just turns again so he's facing me. I'm not sure what this behavior means, if he's annoyed or just wants to see what I'm up to or what.

Another area I'm having a little bit of an issue with is leading. (I know, I know, grooming and leading, the most basic of basics!) He goes where I lead him, that's not a problem. I try to stay to his left, but he walks better if I let him follow behind me a little, instead of to the side. He also often falls behind a little so he can switch sides and walk on my left. Is this something I need to discourage, and if so, how?

He's really good about coming to see what the humans are doing when they're around. When I'm in his pen with him, he follows me around. I can walk around the whole perimeter and he'll follow me. Sometimes he'll follow me really closely, though, and will nearly bump into me when I stop. What does this behavior mean? Is he just curious/being friendly, or is he disrespecting my space?

I have more questions too, but it's late and I need to head to bed. Please don't be too hard on me, I thought I had a better understanding of how to handle the basics than it seems I actually do. I'm very eager to learn everything I can though, and to learn how to work together with my horse!

Another area I'm having a little bit of an issue with is leading. (I know, I know, grooming and leading, the most basic of basics!) He goes where I lead him, that's not a problem. I try to stay to his left, but he walks better if I let him follow behind me a little, instead of to the side. He also often falls behind a little so he can switch sides and walk on my left. Is this something I need to discourage, and if so, how?
Was reading your post, and came across this, and I started scratching my head. I'm left handed, and I'm sure all the foals I've raised over the years thought they should be walking on the left side, since that's how I lead. Since I'm the odd-ball (a lefty), I can't wait to see what others say. I never really thought about maybe I was causing a problem for right-handed "leaders". LOL

I train my horses to walk on both sides. To me, I train to the idea that what I want is what they should do (within reason of course). And I want them to walk willingly at my side, whichever side that is. Not ahead, not behind, but beside me. Now in the show ring, they are to my right and I'm on their left.

The hoof thing: He's really not likely to fall. I simply hold on until the horse settles. Don't let go! He's winning that battle and learning that if he shifts around enough, you'll let go. I remember being afraid of my horses (even the weanlings!) when they wwould kick up a fuss or shift around like that. It took me a bit time to build up my own courage. I had no prior horse experience either.

I haven't learned how to make my girls stand still for grooming either. And often end up with them up against the fence/wall. And that's where they stay until I need to switch sides. I don't try to groom untied...again, they can walk away and "learn" that walking away gets you to stop.

Keep it up! You're doing fine. It's a work in progress. And we need pictures! It's a bit of a requirement on this board :p

Gosh, all of this sounds like things I have gone through and am still going through with my Halo, who turned 2 in June.

First with the leading part, I use to use too long a lead line, so she was able to do that switching you are talking about. All that did was make her feel lost from me, but able to do whatever she wanted. So I shortened the lead to about 12-14", and then if she tries to turn or walk in front of me, I turn to the right, right into her neck/shoulder area and walking right into her and make her go in several circles. That stops that behavior really fast. It is good for them to know how to be lead from either side, but not on their terms, but yours, so sounds like you may need to shorten your lead.

Halo also will get in my space, off halter, if I allow her to. She use to be very pushy, and muggy (looking for treats) I quit giving treats and if she gets pushy, I grab her nose, and push down and back, making her back up several steps. I have to do that many times, sometimes. But for the most part, now she comes up for some loving and will stop about 10" from me and stand and with for me to reach out to her.

I've had Halo for 8 mons. now and we are still learning about eachother. I've had her boarded, where they did her feet, when I was at work, so now I am taking that over and am still getting use to that. I was told not to let go, even if they try and take a step. Just to hold their foot firmly, and move with them, so they won't fall, but don't let them have it back, until you want them to. But like I said, I haven't even gotten into doing that, yet, either, as I just now have her where I can get to her on a daily basis. I was planning on working on her front feet first. See how that goes, then move to the back. I do know if I grab her wrong, she tends to want to cow kick.

Sounds like you are trying and doing the right things. It will all come together, just may take awhile, as I am finding out. I have had a few set backs, with my boarding, which has caused us to may be not be as far along with eachother, as we should be, but the main thing I have had to tell myself, there is no time limit. We will get there, when we get there. Patience is the key...and I have had to learn a lot of patience. LOL

Welcome to the board! I'm sure your doing great!

I believe a hrose should lead on both sides. You need to carry a short whip, such as a dressage whip, to cue him where you want him to be. He isn't a mind reader and may not understand what you want. If he falls behind, reach behind him with the whip and tap his rump to cue him to get up beside you. He should NOT switch back and forth behind you at his whim. Think of the whip as an extension of your arm, a pointer, or a magic wand.

Pressure is a wonderful teacher. When he puts pressure on the lead rope, ask him to do what you want. As soon as he moves into position or comes beside you--whatever you've asked--release the pressure and slacken the lead. He will figure it out quickly. The halter straps put pressure on his nose and poll. Release of the pressure is reward.

He should NOT come into your space unless he is invited. Coming up behind and bumping you is dominance. It is not friendliness. Turn, and ask him to back up a step out of your space. If he does not back up, stamp your foot, wave your arms and say sternly "back up". You may think this will cause him not to like you, but it is just the opposite.

I have a theory that some hroses that don't like their feet held may have been tipped over at one time. They are afraid they will lose their balance and fall over. However, it could also be a dominance thing--if I lift my feet, I am not in control and therefore I won't lift my feet. Just ask him to lift his feet often and hold it for a little while, and try to discern if he is afraid of falling, or refusing to give up control of his feet. Be sure your farrier doesnt' lift the feet too high; they are used to big horses usually and don't always realize they are lifting a miniature's leg too high; the horse may feel he is losing his balance.

It's common for horses to move around while being groomed if they are not used to it. You are touching their bodies and they may feel as though you are challenging them, or trying to move them around as a herd boss does. Just persevere.

A spoiled horse is no fun. And it is difficult to untrain bad habits. I know this from experience because I still have my first miniature and many behaviors I allowed 11 years ago because I didn't know any better are still with him.

A few lessons from a trainer would be so much fun for you both and a good investment. Have the older children at the lesson so they can learn too.

This is JMHO. Listen to lots of advice and they do what works best for you.

Let him be next to the wall when you want to pick his feet up, he can't really go anywhere or fall over, make sure you tie him fairly short so he doesn't have a whole lot of room to move. Tell him Whoa, and stand, then brush him, for now just do this tied until you work out the issues. Some horses don't like the curry and he may be one of them. I prefer them to be on the right side when leading but I do train them to be handled and led from both sides, pick one and be consistent. They have their space and I have mine I dont want them walking on me, or into me, be consistent in where you choose to allow him to walk. You are his leader he needs to follow directions, I am in no way saying don't love on him or be mean in anyway, but you have to show him what you want him to do and if he is anything like 90% of the minis I have dealt with he will pick up on it quickly. A lot of things can be personal preferences decide where you want him and how you want him to behave and be consistent with your cues and directions and you two will get along just fine.
default_smile.png

Karen

Horses, kids, and people always test other people, especially with timid or unsure people. When you're picking up his hooves, just don't give up if he's struggling. Obviously, if you are hurting him he could be pulling away, but if it's just because he's antsy and wants to go his own way make sure you're the leader. You don't have to be mean to be the leader, just confident. I tell my 6 y/o the same thing. The animal that senses your hesitancy and lack of leadership is going to take advantage of you, but if you present yourself a confident leader and require good behavior, then you shall get it. If you want your mini to walk beside instead of behind him practice doing so. Like the other posters said, it's also good to lead both sides. Sometimes stuff like him walking behind you and similar things like that just happened in training. It can be fine, you just have to pick your battles. I would do scratches and vocal praises as a reward, maybe some grass or hay, but I find that treats can sometimes create a very spoiled personality.

Thank you everyone for your help and advice so far! I've been keeping your advice and comments in mind while I've been working with Caspian.

I'm not afraid to push him around a little if that's what I need to do-- I just want to be sure that that's what I should be doing!

He's been a LOT better about grooming lately. I've been tying him to groom him, letting him swing away so he's pressed up against the wall, and moving him back in place immediately if he turns around without me telling him to. He usually stops fussing and stands fairly quietly after I move him back into place a couple of times. He still doesn't like me cleaning his hooves though. He'll move as far forward as he can, and when he gets to the end of where the lead will allow, he moves backwards as far as he can. It's hard to get a hold of his feet when he doesn't stop moving. I did try the "holding onto his hoof no matter what" thing, but he did go down on one knee after seeming to lose his balance. I don't want him to feel insecure while I'm working with his feet. What I've been trying to do is release his hoof if I think he's losing his balance, but then pick it back up immediately. Is that okay, or should I really just be holding onto his hoof no matter what, until I'm done with it? This horse came from a rescue. They've had him there for a year, so he's used to being handled and worked with, and I know he's been led around by children. I can only assume that the reason he's not being better behaved is because he's quickly realized that I'm a total n00b :p

I've been working on leading, too. My problem is when I try to shorten the lead (to keep him from falling behind and switching sides) it seems to just pull him towards me, and then he's in my space. If he gets ahead of me or walks into me, I've been turning him in circles, like suggested. Not sure that he's making the connection, though. Also, my property is riddled with gopher holes, so I'm really paranoid about where I lead him and turn him. Many of those gopher holes are exactly the right size for his little hooves to fall down into.

I've got another behavior question for you guys: How do you tell if your horse wants to "mouth" you with his lips, if he's trying to reciprocate grooming, or if he wants to bite you just to be a turd? When I pet his nose, he'll stretch his lips out like he's trying to grab at me with them. I'm not sure if he enjoys having his nose rubbed or if he wants to eat my fingers :p Sometimes also, when I scratch the side of his neck, he'll lean his head over and slide his muzzle against my arm, and he has nipped me once or twice on the inner arm. Not hard, really, but I do have a bruise on the inside of my wrist from a few days ago. It's just hard for me to read his intent, since I'm so unfamiliar with horses and their body language. (Cats? Dogs? No problem!) I don't want to discipline him if he's just feeling around with his lips to be friendly or playful, but I'd like to be able to tell in advance when the teeth are likely to come out :p (And don't worry, I don't let him get away with nipping!) I've also been taking care to never jerk away if he gets his mouth near me, because I don't want him to think I'm afraid of him.

Last problem for tonight-- digging to China when I feed him! He's a 300 lb mini, and his feeding consists of basically free-choice orchard grass hay (even though I only feed him twice a day, he never finishes what I give him by the next feeding), 1/2 cup of ration balancer twice a day, and loose mineral salt. After he finishes his ration balancer, he starts pawing, and since half of his enclosure is on soft dirt, he leaves huge holes for me to fill in. I've moved his bucket to over on the stall mat, which has helped with the holes (although it's towards the edge of the mat so he can still dig a little) but is the pawing something I should discourage, and if so, how? Would it help if I bought hay pellets to mix in with his ration balancer, so he'd think he's getting fed more, or would he get impatient and paw when he finished that anyway?

Thanks so much for the advice so far, you guys have been fantastic, and I feel like I've learned a lot already! I'll get a photo of my boy for you soon
default_smile.png

With leading and having him by your side. I had my trainer work with my mini. He is 9 years old and was never taught ground manners. What we did was take a dressage whip with us when on lead line. I would walk with him and if he fell behind I would tap him in the rump. The lead line was in my right hand and the whip in my left hand. I had to reach behind me to do this. If he was to far in front of me I tapped him on his chest. It took a couple of lessons and he was fine. We even got him to stop in the correct position by my side and stay there.

Never let a horse nip you. That is not playing to me and only can get worse. My mini does not attempt that but my 16.2 hand horse will try it. That is no fun at all. I will hit him on the nose at that point, Not hard just enough to let him know that this is not something I will accept. He has stopped that now

Okay, the nipping on any terms is him testing you, don't allow it! You can grab the lead and YELL at him while making him back up, you can lunge him in a tight circle around you while going at his butt with the end of the lead, you WANT TO MAKE HIM THINK YOU ARE GOING TO GO BONKERS on him. The lip thing, well honestly, I wouldn't t touch or play with those lips,As velvety and soft as they are, he is probably looking for a treat, it will lead to more nipping. Use the wall to your advantage when grooming, there's nothing wrong with tieing him so he has a wall on one side, just don't get between him and the wall. The feet, I agree, hold onto the hoof and wait out the storm, a loud " knock it off!" works wonders too ( unless it's a nervous horse, but he just sounds experienced and is playing you). Keeping a short lead when tieing and leading is also key, allowing him to fall behind you will most likely lead to nips on the backs of your arms, side or butt. Years ago when I brought home my first mini, eventhough I came from a big horse background, I was afraid I would break my little mini that I apparently thought was made of porcelain. I got fed up very quickly with her taking full advantage of this...she started to nip, fall behind so she could sneak a one in, then she would turn her butt to me, because I left too much lead while grooming, and would attempt to kick me. Once I established I was the alpha mare, as I should have from the start, all this behavior immediately stopped. They are smart, but they need a leader, it needs to be you or they creat their own amongst themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your situation sounds almost identical to mine when I first got my mini, but in the last 2 weeks or so he's gotten a lot better.

My guy used to also be really bad when grooming, and I would never be able to pick his feet. Well now he still moves around a bit when I groom him but now he practically lifts his feet up for me! If he does happen to struggle at all, I never let his foot down. This progress all happened with pure repetition. I groom him twice a day including his hooves.

My guy's worst behaviour was his nipping though. If anyone touched near his mouth, he would try to nip them. I probably got about six bites the first month I had him. Then about 2 weeks ago, I stopped feeding him by hand completely (I used to give him some sort of treat by hand everyday). Now, anyone can put their hand right on his mouth, and won't even move at all.

He is my first horse too, and I know all his behaviour problems were from me not being in charge. So once I took charge, everything was fine, it just takes time.
default_smile.png

All good advice, but may I offer a book that is perfect for this situation? Getting Your First Horse by Judith Dutson is full of great information and it is written for the first time horse owner. She has had minis and biggies for a long time and the advice is great.

Disclaimer, I did contribute a bit to the book so my name shows in the credits. This covers selection, feeding, vet issues, feeding, housing, etc. money well spent!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back