New to Forums

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjcs

Reaction score
Want to know if anyone on the forum uses Nutrena Equine One?

If you do, did you ever have barn cats get into your feed and eat it?

Did they get sick?

We have been using this feed for awhile, latley some of our young barn cats were seen in the feed room. Don't know if they ate the feed or not but something had been in the feed.

This past week, two of the cats died. they were alright then the next day one died and then the other.

Was wondering if this would happen if they ate the feed.

My name is Barbara, from Texas.

Feel like I know alot of you guys, been enjoying reading the posts on the forum for a good while, just now registed.

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum!

We feed Nutrena Feeds. We do not feed the one you listed, however. We feed Vitality and have our cats eating with the horses from time to time and have not had any problems so far. I'm not sure what the feed you listed consists of, but maybe someone else here feeds that exact feed and can give you a more indepth answer.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Va Lynda Ann

Welcome to the forum, can't answer your question, but just wanted to say Hi!

Our very well-fed house cats see fit to supplement their diets with horse feed...other than the standard cat barfing, we've had no problems. The dogs like it, too, fresh out of the horse's buckets or "warmed over" by the cats...

When I inquired my Purina expert at our Mill I was told it was not recommended for minis.

Welcome to the forum;

I don't feed that particular feed; I do know that sometimes our cats will eat a bit of the horse feed--they never eat much, mostly when we're getting the grain ready one of the cats might climb into the pan & start nibbling, so I pick the cat out & tell him he isn't a horse...have never had one get sick or die from it.

If I were you I would call Nutrena and get a complete list of ingredients--find out if they know of any ingredient in their feed that would be harmful to cats--then check with your vet. Then you'll know if it was likely the feed, or something else. Regardless, I'd put lids on your bins, or do whatever you need to to keep the cats out of the feed.

Dimimore, why on earth would you ask a Purina expert about a Nutrena feed?

Welcome from Northern MIchigan Barbara. Don't have the answer to your question but wanted to say hi. We feed Neutrena Safe Choice.

Maxine

Thank You for all the big welcomes, it makes me feel at home.

I'm beginning to think that maybe it wasn't the horse feed but I will try to check with the feed store tomorrow as far as if they know.

These cats are very wild. The mother cat is a outside barn cat and she went off to have her kittens and brought them home when they were big enough to eat. I cann't catch them to tame them. They are about 4-5 months old now and seemed to be doing fine and then out of the blue two of them died within days of each other.

I thought that maybe it was from eating horse feed but thinking about it, it might be worms.

Thank you all.

Barbara

Hi Barbara and welcome to the forum.

We don't feed that particular Nutrena feed but we do feed the senior feed to our 26-year-old QH and also the youth feed to our pregnant mare.

We really like them both, especially the senior feed. Our old guy does great on it!

Latest posts

Back